Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:00:11 am

Author Topic: Legal Studies Trial..  (Read 892 times)  Share 

joannelovescake

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
Legal Studies Trial..
« on: August 08, 2018, 08:30:55 pm »
sat my legal trial today and I'm disappointed in myself. I knew trials are supposed to make me feel like this and give me room for improvement but I'm worried for my high band 6 assessment mark.

I'm certain that my mark is going to significantly drop maybe by 6-7% after this but I think my rank will stay the same. I was confident in my crime response but then discussion made my doubt myself becasuse there's so many things I could've written about but time restrained...also not happy with my essays (2x on family law) as I only wrote 3-3.5 pages each. It wasn't a very hard paper but it was definitely challenging so I'll give myself some credit as I had no previous practice for the essays under exam conditions. I also happened to revise family law literally 6 hours before the exam at 3 am.

The worst thing is that my legal teacher actually wrote the family law chapter on the cambridge textbook so she's an expert in this topic..she was so impressed with my practice essays and I feel like this exam is going to let her down and disappoint her so much  :(

How's everyone going with their exams?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:49:57 pm by joannelovescake »
HSC 2018  :  English Adv, Legal Studies, Ancient History, Chemistry, Biology

2019: BCommerce / BLaws @ UNSW

I offer affordable one-to-one and group tutoring in English, Modern Greek, History and Science :) send me a message!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Legal Studies Trial..
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:02:18 pm »
+2
Hi!

The thing with the HSC is that you always have time to improve! There's no need to be worried about what's already happened - it's in the past, and all you can do is move on and know what you have to improve on in the HSC. A thing to remember is quality > quantity because as long as you sustained your argument for the essays and had lots of relevant information to answer the question, you'll be good. At least now you know what you need to work on. Personally throughout my HSC I averaged around 80-90% in my school assessments (it really fluctuated lol) in Legal and still came out with a Band 6.

Best of luck for the rest of your exams!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: Legal Studies Trial..
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:21:27 pm »
+4
sat my legal trial today and I'm disappointed in myself. I knew trials are supposed to make me feel like this and give me room for improvement but I'm worried for my high band 6 assessment mark.

I'm certain that my mark is going to significantly drop maybe by 6-7% after this but I think my rank will stay the same. I was confident in my crime response but then discussion made my doubt myself becasuse there's so many things I could've written about but time restrained...also not happy with my essays (2x on family law) as I only wrote 3-3.5 pages each. It wasn't a very hard paper but it was definitely challenging so I'll give myself some credit as I had no previous practice for the essays under exam conditions. I also happened to revise family law literally 6 hours before the exam at 3 am.

The worst thing is that my legal teacher actually wrote the family law chapter on the cambridge textbook so she's an expert in this topic..she was so impressed with my practice essays and I feel like this exam is going to let her down and disappoint her so much  :(

How's everyone going with their exams?

Hey there!

I was in a very similar position to you this time last year. I was averaging over 90% in half yearlies and all my assessments leading up to trials, then I ended up with a mark in the 80s for trials. Of course, that is still an amazing mark but I was disappointed in myself because I knew I could have done soooo much better.

First thing to remember is that in many cases, your trial paper is purposely set to be challenging. This is a good tester to show you what could come up in the HSC if they ever did something a bit more specific than usual.

Second thing to remember is that your overall mark is worth 50% of your internal assessments all added up together (assignments, half yearlies, trials, all combined) and 50% of your HSC mark. This means that if you work hard enough and do well in your actual HSC exam, your mark will be brought up immensely!

And going on from that, you still have a long time to improve and understand everything way better! Keep doing heaps of practice essays and you'll be writing so many more pages! I believe in you!

Don't dwell on this too much, just use it as motivation to work even harder to get the mark you wanted.

Good luck with everything!

HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)