Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 06:54:42 pm

Author Topic: I can't figure out whether AVO's are effective or not?  (Read 1567 times)  Share 

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
I can't figure out whether AVO's are effective or not?
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:25:04 pm »
Hey Guys!

So in my DV essay i've written that ADVO's are extremely effective and i have LCMID which supports my view, however i'm aware that there have been a significant amount of cases going against what i've said.

So should i change my argument to moderately or not effective? Also, do we need to have counter arguments to make it more balanced or is that not necessary (running out of word count).

Last question, I've argued that the Family Law Act, more specifically parenting orders are NOT effective. Would you agree with my view?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: I can't figure out whether AVO's are effective or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:33:42 pm »
+1
Hey there!!

Hey Guys!

So in my DV essay i've written that ADVO's are extremely effective and i have LCMID which supports my view, however i'm aware that there have been a significant amount of cases going against what i've said.

So should i change my argument to moderately or not effective?

There is no correct answer - You pick your argument! Having a balanced argument gives you more to discuss, but if you already have a heap of evidence backing up a single side, roll with it!! Any argument is great so long as it is backed up ;D

Also, do we need to have counter arguments to make it more balanced or is that not necessary (running out of word count).

As above, balance isn't a huge deal but being able to argue both sides does tend to help people get more evidence - It sounds like you are already good to go! :)

Last question, I've argued that the Family Law Act, more specifically parenting orders are NOT effective. Would you agree with my view?

Maybe, maybe not - What's your evidence? If you've backed it up, you're correct ;D

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:21:20 pm »
+1
You can just stick with the strong side for now but in future, this might be helpful to clear your head about how useful AVOs are and why they are good or not:

In my opinion, AVOs can be extremely effective as they do protect a victim from a threatening situation or unwanted advances of the offender. On the other hand, however, AVOs do not completely resolve the issue and act as a blockade which may or may not last, creating further unwanted attention or threats. Furthermore, AVOs do not resolve the dispute at hand. It is like a cautionary warning of enforcement but does not clear up the real cause of crime. While it is clear that AVOs are not completely successful, it is still a much needed protection in the wider community today.
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:21:16 am »
+1
These media articles might help inform your opinion:

AVOs are not a miracle cure but a safety net for victims of violence and harassment
This is from BOCSAR: Apprehended violence orders more effective than critics claim
This is from Redfern Legal Centre: Do Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders work?

I find that media articles like the SMH article tend to talk about the real-social issues surrounding the application and enforcement of legal issues. But the reports from BOCSAR give you the data. By putting the two together, you can make a judgement about the real effectiveness of AVOS, according to your perception :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:10:16 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!