Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:28:19 pm

Author Topic: World Order: Recent Developments  (Read 14621 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: World Order: Recent Developments
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 04:19:52 pm »
This is extremely interesting. NK has been sanctioned on various accounts, and but during a crisis they have been offered help: and most surprising is that they accepted it.
The UN World Food Program is the largest assistance to NK during this time. North Korea has reported hundreds of people dead or missing during the worst floods the country has seen in a looooong time.
Story here: http://www.smh.com.au/world/north-korea-accepts-international-help-food-after-major-flooding-20160914-grgknu.html
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 10:01:36 am »
We look at states as well as non-states in World Order. Facebook is a media platform, and is usually hailed for doing the good work of spreading the news, and gaining support against attack. This article shows how perhaps Facebook has encouraged ISIS and other attackers by using their platform to spread their own goals. The article also talks about particular law suits against the media giants.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/facebook-slammed-by-us-judge-in-terrorism-law-suit-20160923-grmou7.html

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 11:11:37 pm »
+2
http://www.smh.com.au/world/russia-vetoes-french-un-proposal-to-halt-aleppo-bombing-20161008-gry2ph.html

Here's an article from SMH which details how Russia has vetoed yet another UNSC resolution to interfere in the Syrian conflict.
"Without action, the United Nations has given a green light to destroy this city," said a young doctor who gave his name only as Abu Mohammed. "No one is safe here." - highlights how state sovereignty and the veto power are inhibiting international peace; limited effectiveness of international legal responses?
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 11:33:18 pm »
+1
http://www.smh.com.au/world/russia-vetoes-french-un-proposal-to-halt-aleppo-bombing-20161008-gry2ph.html

Here's an article from SMH which details how Russia has vetoed yet another UNSC resolution to interfere in the Syrian conflict.
"Without action, the United Nations has given a green light to destroy this city," said a young doctor who gave his name only as Abu Mohammed. "No one is safe here." - highlights how state sovereignty and the veto power are inhibiting international peace; limited effectiveness of international legal responses?

Damn that's awesome! Totally good article for R2P as well!
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 07:41:59 pm »

So glad you posted this! I saw someone on the train tonight reading this in the print news paper SMH, and I wanted to post it! Excellent work Isaac!

Josh22

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Rose Bay
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »
Hey! You'll want to focus on International Treaties for the World Order Option, things like the Rome Statute or the [bTreaty on the Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons[/b], which promote peace and security globally! Also look at things like Extradition Treaties which act on a more regional level, or even the Australian Federal Police Act for domestic security.

Cases are tougher, but you'll likely want to look at the work of the ICJ and the ICC, and also, look at more general situations that have threatened World Order (for example, ISIS would be a good thing to discuss in a World Order essay, there would definitely be things like UN Meetings or UNSC Resolutions to reference in that regard ;D

How would you recommend incorporating ISIS into an essay? Also it seems that most World Order essays are similar so can you use 1 really strong thesis in any essay?
Cheers

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:08 pm »
How would you recommend incorporating ISIS into an essay? Also it seems that most World Order essays are similar so can you use 1 really strong thesis in any essay?
Cheers

You could either just do a big paragraph analysing the ISIS situation in its entirety (including UN response and international response by countries individually), or integrate it throughout paragraphs on the UN, International Cooperation, IGO's, etc ;D

World Order is an option where a lot of essays are very similar. There are subtleties that you need to watch, focusing on the right things, so if you do choose to use one Thesis make sure you are prepared to properly adapt to the question in front of you (focusing on R2P when required, focusing on state sovereignty when required, etc etc) ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 03:04:07 pm »
I just re-discovered this speech made by Angelina Jolie in 2015, addressing the UN. I think it's actually a very very useful source of information. Jolie addresses the Responsibility to Protect in relation to Syria and how it is not being actively used. She also critiques the comments that the UN does nothing - when in fact they clothe, feed, and educate thousands of people on a daily basis. I think she paints a wonderful picture of world order in relation to Syria. You can read her speech's transcript here.

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 01:50:15 pm »
Barack Obama's farewell address is airing right now and can be watched live here

Whilst it mainly talks about the American constitution and democracy; there is a section about terrorism which is perfect for world order students as it lists the accomplishments in tackling terrorism such as Bin Laden. However it is important to note that there are many systems still in place that prevent Americans being sent to the ICC and ICJ; which prevent USA being held accountable for their crimes against the international community.

Also could anyone help me out, there was a part where Obama stated he closed GTMO (Guantanamo Bay), but all the sources I've been looking at online have detailed his failure to close the detention facility - anyone have any insight??
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 07:43:44 pm »
This is good for general knowledge for World Order rather than a solid case study. Pauline Hansen has praised Vladimir Putin as being a strong leader.

The article says:
"One Nation leader Pauline Hanson has praised Russian president Vladimir Putin, calling him "a strong leader", while also entertaining the prospect she could one day become prime minister of Australia. 

The comments drew immediate repudiation from Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, who said the families of Australians killed on Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down over Ukraine wanted justice, not praise for Mr Putin from politicians."

As this second part about MH17 suggests, this is problematic. The current World Order has meant that there are Australian victims, like in MH17, and the cooperation from powerful states isn't always present. Here we have a prominent Aus politician praising a leader who offered no cooperation. Full article here.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 07:49:38 am »
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government has secretly executed between 5000 and 13,000 people in just one prison as part of its campaign to eliminate opposition to his rule, a new report by Amnesty International has found.

Article here.

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »
+2
Hey guys!

Although I haven't found any specific articles relating to world order so far, I really do think that this year in particular is a great time to be studying this option. This post is more-so a bump so that anybody browsing the forums can know that a thread like this exists.

Personally, I find this to be a great resource where students can share LCMs and keep up to date on recent trends. In the mindset of writing a 25 mark essay on this topic, I think it would be great if we could all share potential cases and continue to build a bank of evidence.  :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 09:43:52 pm »
Hey guys!

Although I haven't found any specific articles relating to world order so far, I really do think that this year in particular is a great time to be studying this option. This post is more-so a bump so that anybody browsing the forums can know that a thread like this exists.

Personally, I find this to be a great resource where students can share LCMs and keep up to date on recent trends. In the mindset of writing a 25 mark essay on this topic, I think it would be great if we could all share potential cases and continue to build a bank of evidence.  :)

Top stuff rodero! Definitely agree, what's happening with Russia/USA, as well as North Korea/Everyone right now, is definitely going to make for some interesting essay evidence this year!! I'd expect World Order questions that reflect the state of affairs :)

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 09:41:00 pm »
+1
This was first brought to media attention around the time of my own HSC, I used Michelle Obama's response as an example of media and high-profile presence bringing cause to legal change. In case anyone is following it now, 82 Chibok girls have been released from the hands of Boko Haram. Article here. My heart breaks a million times over for these girls, I'll never be able to empathise with everything they've endured. This comes as a result of negotiations between the Nigerian government and the terrorist organisation Boko Haram. The girls were kidnapped from their beds in a boarding school in Nigeria.

In October last year, 21 girls were released, and I believe about 100 or so have escaped, at least about 50 escaping from the initial abduction.