Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:59:57 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231767 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4380 on: April 30, 2019, 10:42:10 pm »
+3
Hey there!

So I'm entirely a math person. I do extension 2 maths, and it is my life-blood. However, I am still decently good at the english language and all that, so I chose to take on advanced (hesitantly :P). My goal for the HSC is to achieve a band 5 in english, and out of all my goals I feel that that would be the most rewarding achievement to get.

However, my internals are pretty shaky at the moment. I got 17/20 for an essay last year, which is right where I wanted to be, but it was only a quarter of the full assessment; the rest was a presentation, which I got 15/20 on. Overall, my mark was below 80 (i believe 78?). I was also not first internally. I have just received my second assessment, of which I got 16/20 - which is technically right on the cusp of a band 5, but doesn't give me that security I'm looking for. It was the top mark for the class (others got it too). I believe it was marked more honestly than the last assessment.

English is the biggest crux for the HSC. All of my other subjects I do fine in, and a small increase in my marks for them does very little to my overall score (especially MX1/2). However, English can bump my expected atar up a whole point by a small increase of 5. I'm really trying to find motivation in the subject, as I do not like it in the first place, and essentially my question is:

How do I stay motivated in English Advanced?

Hey, diggity!

Firstly, congrats on your marks so far! Although you may be a little concerned with not being able to reach your goal and insecure about it, those are still fantastic results! You've got plenty of time to maximise your performance with a new term and to do even better for Advanced  :)

Staying motivated requires you to find something to enjoy about the subject and to drive you through the course. Since you're more of a maths person, it's evident that you must like something a lot about maths. In order to motivate yourself for English, find something to like about the course! Perhaps there's something cool in the text's execution or an aspect of the composer's biography that you find fascinating (and reflected well in their text). When you find that special something about the subject, it'll increase your attention and commitment to it  :) A lot of students don't enjoy English and that's because they aren't actively searching for a reason to. Having that reason to like the subject is more than enough to keep you interested in the content and to apply the relevant skills you need to show that you are. We have an awesome Accountability and Motivation thread here on the forum where you can keep track of your progress and document your immersion in the subject  ;D

I also find feedback as a great source of motivation for improvement in the subject. Rather than focusing on what marks and grades you receive, my best advice would be to draw your attention to the feedback your teachers have given you. Their advice is your best resource for maximising your performance in the long run. Revise the module and your submitted assessment with their feedback in mind; see where areas of improvement are needed and if you have any questions or unsure on how to approach it, ask them for clarification! This will help you know what to do next and to keep you moving forward with a goal for the next assessment. Setting these goals will guide your study and actively involve you more in the course.

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions, do ask in this thread  ;D Good luck!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4381 on: April 30, 2019, 10:50:54 pm »
+2
Hi everyone,

I know this question might be a bit vague, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips or application recommendations for making english study notes (specifically on Mod A - yes I know it's late) online?? I normally like to write out my notes but unfortunately I am currently in a cast (on my writing arm) and will be for about another month, so am looking for something easy to use, and even some tips on structuring my notes.

Thanks in advance!!  :)

Hey, 0102megan!

I would recommend structuring your notes for Mod A as you would normally but to make sure you fashion it to suit a comparative study. For example, if you usually do quote/analysis tables, I would aim to pair quotes/techniques from both texts that illuminate, challenge, align or influence one another. This can help you look at the "resonances and dissonances" of your texts and to facilitate a stronger comparison between them. The textual conversation occurring between them will be much more apparent if you do this  :D

You could also check out our Free Notes Section for some past examples of Mod A notes. Although the syllabus has changed, the nature of the comparative study has remained the same  :)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions and get well soon  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4382 on: May 01, 2019, 07:34:10 am »
+1

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions and get well soon  ;D

Thank you!!

therese07

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4383 on: May 09, 2019, 05:06:12 pm »
Hi!!
I was wondering for the common module, what does "inconsistencies" mean? I'm studying 1984, and I don't exactly know what it means by inconsistencies, and how to find them.

Thank you!!
2020: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law @ Macquarie University

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4384 on: May 09, 2019, 05:35:03 pm »
+3
Hi!!
I was wondering for the common module, what does "inconsistencies" mean? I'm studying 1984, and I don't exactly know what it means by inconsistencies, and how to find them.

Thank you!!

Hey! This one's a tricky one and to be honest. I was just contemplating how I would define 'inconsistencies'.

I think for me I would look at 'inconsistencies' in relation to how humans are expected to respond to a situation or be as a person. I know it's weird because what is 'normal' but here's an example for 1984 (my text too yayyyyy!!) :).

So a key idea in 1984 is how the Party has rid the people of Oceania of free thought and emotion. We can see this through the Parsons family who allow us to see a cross section of society and the 'ideal' family e.g. the children are indoctrinated to support the Party - shown through their excitement about violence. Moreover Mr Parsons is happy his daughter hands him in to the Thought Police as he would not dare disobey the Party (even though it could result in him being obliterated and becoming an 'unperson' like whattttttt!!).

When we compare this to 'normal' human behaviour, it is absolutely crazy. We can use Winston's mother kind of as a point of comparison. Orwell discusses how she maintained her individuality and felt genuine love and affection for her children. This familial relationship greatly contrasts to that of the Parsons.

Basically I would map inconsistencies as differing patterns of behaviour and responses to situations. Another great example is Winston - his responses and values are starkly different from the Party and the other people in Oceania. Same with Julia. Ultimately these inconsistencies result in him being given into the Thought Police. Inconsistencies and individuality is what makes people stand out in 1984 and ultimately leads to their obliteration as the Party wants perfect, empty clones who are incapable of challenging authority.

I really hope this helped! Please hmu if you don't get anything or want any more explanation !!!!

Gracie
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:38:10 pm by Pearlmilktea »
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

violet123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4385 on: May 16, 2019, 06:48:12 pm »
Hi,
I have a question for a mod C text.
What is the form of 'That Crafty Feeling' by Zadie Smith? I mean form as in speech, fiction etc.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4386 on: May 16, 2019, 08:01:42 pm »
+1
Hi,
I have a question for a mod C text.
What is the form of 'That Crafty Feeling' by Zadie Smith? I mean form as in speech, fiction etc.

Hi there!! According to NESA it is non-fiction, and as best I can tell it was delivered as a lecture in New York in 2008 ;D

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4387 on: May 18, 2019, 09:01:03 pm »
I'm very confused about Module C and I don't know where to start. Some of my friends from other schools say that you have to have a creative that tailors to each module (common, A and B) and others have decided to use one creative and memorise it for the exam. I'm not too sure what to do for this module, and I am in grave need of help!

I have started to write a creative for Common Module but I'm stuck because I don't know whether to craft a creative based on specific themes of a module, but just focus it on the style and form and the topic of the creative can be on anything I want.

As you can see... I am really really confused...
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study

changeuponchange

• Adventurer
« Reply #4388 on: May 18, 2019, 09:26:50 pm »
Hey everyone,

So I basically need help on writing a reflection for my advanced english assessment task! I basically dont know how to start!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4389 on: May 19, 2019, 03:52:53 pm »
+1
I'm very confused about Module C and I don't know where to start. Some of my friends from other schools say that you have to have a creative that tailors to each module (common, A and B) and others have decided to use one creative and memorise it for the exam. I'm not too sure what to do for this module, and I am in grave need of help!

I have started to write a creative for Common Module but I'm stuck because I don't know whether to craft a creative based on specific themes of a module, but just focus it on the style and form and the topic of the creative can be on anything I want.

As you can see... I am really really confused...

Hey!! So Module C's focus is really on the writing itself, gone is the conceptual backbone of the creative writing aspect of the core in the old syllabus. Indeed, if you look at the sample released by NESA, the Module C questions don't demand anything super specific in terms of links to other modules. It's just, "Hey, write something semi-inspired by one of your prescribed texts." That's broad enough that you don't need to memorise a whole bunch of different creatives - I'd say your friends doing that at other schools aren't using their time efficiently. Nor should you memorise the creative - This prevents you from dynamically responding to the question (as you see in the sample, they will likely provide you with a stimulus).

I'd recommend practicing your creative writing by writing things inspired by themes, characters and ideas in prescribed texts. This will let you practice and give you a bucket of ideas you can draw from on the day itself. The links don't need to be super overt - Use the sample questions as a guide, they are quite broad. I believe it's about heading into the exam with a lot of practice under your belt so you can just get in there and write something on the spot that makes sense given the question, potentially reusing parts of what you've written in practice if it suits :)

KC181

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4390 on: May 19, 2019, 10:23:18 pm »
+3
Hey everyone,

So I basically need help on writing a reflection for my advanced english assessment task! I basically dont know how to start!!

Hey!

My advice would be to start with a mind map, getting your ideas in order before starting to write is important. And if this is a Module C based assignment with a reflection, I recommend also adding on your mind map, techniques you've purposely used, maybe inspiration or why you've chosen certain things to add etc.

Hope this helps  :)

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4391 on: May 21, 2019, 07:35:19 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

Hiya!! Building off the post before which was great, here are some helpful links:
https://www.artofsmart.com.au/reflection-statement/
https://www.matrix.edu.au/how-to-write-a-reflection-statement/

The key thing is to evaluate your key decisions and explain your intention behind including different elements of your creative. Some things to think of are: how did you include the stimulus? What authors inspired you? How have you drawn on texts you've studied in class? Relevant quotations and their significance/ technique.

I hope this helps!

HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

zotoole

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4392 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:16 pm »
Hi! I would love if someone could read one of my essay paragraphs and help me make it more succinct so I can get the word count lower. It's a 400 words paragraph! Way too long when I can only write 1000 in total. Would I be able to email it to someone, otherwise it will come up on Turn it In as plagiarism.

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4393 on: May 25, 2019, 07:15:03 pm »
Hi! I would love if someone could read one of my essay paragraphs and help me make it more succinct so I can get the word count lower. It's a 400 words paragraph! Way too long when I can only write 1000 in total. Would I be able to email it to someone, otherwise it will come up on Turn it In as plagiarism.

What texts/module? I might be able to help if I know them.
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4394 on: May 28, 2019, 08:33:18 am »
Hey!

This is quite a vague question (and probably has been answered somewhere else before), but I was wondering if someone would be able to explain how the advanced english trials work?
Will the exams be on all of the units, and evenly weighted between the units/texts we have studied?

Also, if all the texts are included, does anyone have tips for memorising quotes/techniques (to use in any extended responses etc.) ??

Thanks!!
  :)