Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:35:18 pm

Author Topic: Inequlities Induction  (Read 431 times)  Share 

david.ko3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Inequlities Induction
« on: January 16, 2019, 02:19:20 pm »
Hi!
In an inequalities induction, i don't really get what i am meant to do when n=k+1. I get up to step 2 but how do i use the results from n=k to prove that it is true for n=k+1??? Also I don't get how to do this question.

Question:
Prove by mathematical induction n^2 > n-5 for all integers n>1

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Inequlities Induction
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:44:07 pm »
+2
\[ \text{Note that when subbing things away in }LHS>RHS\text{ proofs}\\ \text{whenever you have nothing on both sides of the equation,}\\ \text{you use }=\text{ if the line exactly equals the line above}\\ \text{but }>\text{ if the }\textbf{line above}\text{ is greater than the current line.} \]
\[ \text{It also occasionally involves some fudgework as a consequence of the restriction on }n.\\ \text{Here, we note that }n \geq 1\\ \text{so we treat }k \geq 1\text{ in the assumption.} \]
\[ \text{Assuming that }k \geq 1\text{ in }\boxed{k^2 > k - 5}\text{ we have}\\ \begin{align*}(k+1)^2 &= k^2+2k + 1\\ &> (k - 5) + 2k+1 \tag{assumption}\\ &= 3k - 4 \end{align*}\]
Note that what we wished to prove was \( (k+1)^2 > (k+1) - 5\), i.e. \((k+1)^2 > k-4\). Well right now we have \(3k-4\). Is it necessarily true that \(3k-4 > k-4\)?

The answer here is yes, because if we solve that inequality we obtain \(k > 0\). This is convenient, because we've already assumed that \(k \geq 1\) to begin with. So if \(k > 0\) implies \(3k-4 > k-4\), then it is obviously also true that \(k \geq 1\) implies \(3k-4 > k-4\).
\[ \text{Thus continuing we have}\\ \begin{align*} (k+1)^2 &> 3k-4\\ &> k-4\text{ since k>1} \end{align*}\\ \text{which is as was required.} \]

david.ko3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Inequlities Induction
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:48:32 pm »
Thanks so much Rui!!! Helped me HEAPS!!!  :)  ;D