Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:05 am

Author Topic: faaaaantastic, the journey is over!  (Read 34509 times)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: faaaaantastic, the journey is almost over!
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2017, 10:15:27 pm »
+3
UGH I feel you! If I have x y and z to do and one of them is English, it's pretty much guaranteed to be the last and longest thing that has to be done ._.

WOOT go whiteboard markers! they're the reason I can memorise formulas

you know it is I've got my dress and shoes so far, but haven't booked appointments either

THREE WEEKS?!

saaaame. english is the most tedious thing ever, it's so boring and such a pain. can't wait to get it over with after october 17, aka paper 2.

whiteboard markers are the reason i'm going to wake up and read about germany 😂 they're awesome though, so much easier to learn while writing using whiteboard markers? unsure why it's so effective

one step ahead!! what do your dress and shoes look like? you excited for formal, or not really? appointments are usually the first thing people do for formal because slots fill up fast but i can't bring myself to do it, it's so weird.

three weeks!!!!!! i finish on friday week 9 :-) when do you finish?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
faaaaantastic, the journey is almost over!
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2017, 10:49:09 pm »
+4
Can definitely agree with you on that one :')

Definitely agree :P there's just something about using a larger marker that makes it stick into your head :P

Kinda :) It's a valedictorian dinner for us, and we're not allowed to bring dates... just gonna be students, parents, and teachers :3 I got a mostly white dress (a bit of black on the shoulders), and silver heels :D it's the same for my classmates; most have appointments already :)

OHH 3 weeks of school :'D I interpreted that as 3 weeks until exams :P we finish on Sept 21st (right after cal) :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »
+3
Can definitely agree with you on that one :')

Definitely agree :P there's just something about using a larger marker that makes it stick into your head :P

Kinda :) It's a valedictorian dinner for us, and we're not allowed to bring dates... just gonna be students, parents, and teachers :3 I got a mostly white dress (a bit of black on the shoulders), and silver heels :D it's the same for my classmates; most have appointments already :)

OHH 3 weeks of school :'D I interpreted that as 3 weeks until exams :P we finish on Sept 21st (right after cal) :)

really? that's kinda odd. we have a graduation 'day' of sorts, where there's a whole school assembly, then we have mass in the evening (catholic school life), followed by a dinner. our formal is after the hsc. your outfit sounds great! hope you have a great time :-)

hahahah sorry, should've made myself clearer. you've got just under a month to go, how exciting! crazy how this year has flown by
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 08:36:14 pm »
+7
28/8

exactly 3 weeks until graduation today!!! and i've got a 4 day week this week so all is good

today was a weirdly productive, but unproductive day. i spent a lot more time talking to friends about end of year gifts for teachers than doing work, because technically my last day is thursday week 9 and everything needs to be done by then. subject run through for today:

period 1 - maths // had this seminar thing about keeping focused in the lead-up to the hsc, was quite informative and boring. i didn't have enough sleep last night (anything less than 8 hours is terrible for me) so i kept tuning out every now and then, and couldn't maintain focus on anything. that goes for the whole day today.

period 2 -  business // since finishing the course last week, we're just having study periods, working on past papers. my worst section in the business paper is the short answers, so i've been working on those.

period 3 - modern // modern is my happy subject, so i'm always looking forward to going there. we finished the course today, so now it's just a whole bunch of study periods until the end of term. i handed up an essay i was far from proud of, but unfortunately, my teacher remembered me saying that i'd already done it, so was forced to hand it up, because i really wanted to rewrite it. turns out i don't have to, because apparently it was a 'great essay' so that was pretty satisfying, because i thought i did terrible in it. huuuuuuuuuuge rant for modern coming up, will be in a spoiler:

Spoiler
people really annoy me in modern. they don't put effort into studying, listening in class, handing up stuff, etc. our range for every subject is bloody HUGE. like, 25-83. that's almost 60 marks. no matter what i do, asking people if they need help understanding stuff, they just don't give a shit which is so irritating because they don't care if the rest of the class gets dragged down with them. i don't want to tell people they should study, because that's their responsibility, but they just don't do anything. i asked someone today to pleaseeeee try and write an essay. or even a plan. she didn't even look me in the eye and say she would. half my modern class doesn't care that the whole class will drag down the rest. i don't know about scaling,
 but if half the class does shit will that scale the top people down? also, it's not just the students, this reflects badly on the teacher, because they're going to look incompetent. it makes me so mad because this teacher is so amazing, puts 110% into teaching and caring about students, only for people to throw it away. he's never gotten mad until he yelled at this girl the other day, and she didn't even care? end rant.

period 4 - legal // we weren't assigned hand ins today, so i'll probably take the initiative and do one by thursday, because although legal is my best subject, it feels good when you're actually doing something for a subject.

period 5 - early leave // went home, and did nothing for the hour.

history geek me loves historical dramas. i get annoyed at historical inaccuracies, but i'm also a sucker for romance (historical dramas, particularly about monarchies tends to up the romance heaps), and today one of my favourite shows (obviously a historical drama) started its new season today. streaming has been really slow lately, which usually happens at the end of each month, so i'll probably take a break from shows until the beginning of next month. that'll reduce one distraction.

english update: draft is projected to finish today, will hand in a more refined version into the writing box (this is for all hand ins for english) on thursday, so i should get it back by monday of the next week. doing a reading task tomorrow, because i need to keep practicing those as i struggle to understand texts and more reading tasks should get me into the hang of things. essays for modules and discovery will be staggered across this week.

hope you all had a great day.

love,
fantasticbeasts x

edit: changed my forum photo because i freaked out when i saw a person from my school on the forums. i know it's inevitable that people from your school are going to turn up on AN, but this is like my secret life hahahahahhah
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:29:41 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 10:06:39 pm »
+2

Spoiler
people really annoy me in modern. they don't put effort into studying, listening in class, handing up stuff, etc. our range for every subject is bloody HUGE. like, 25-83. that's almost 60 marks. no matter what i do, asking people if they need help understanding stuff, they just don't give a shit which is so irritating because they don't care if the rest of the class gets dragged down with them. i don't want to tell people they should study, because that's their responsibility, but they just don't do anything. i asked someone today to pleaseeeee try and write an essay. or even a plan. she didn't even look me in the eye and say she would. half my modern class doesn't care that the whole class will drag down the rest. i don't know about scaling,
 but if half the class does shit will that scale the top people down? also, it's not just the students, this reflects badly on the teacher, because they're going to look incompetent. it makes me so mad because this teacher is so amazing, puts 110% into teaching and caring about students, only for people to throw it away. he's never gotten mad until he yelled at this girl the other day, and she didn't even care? end rant.

I know how you feel! Wanted to let things off my chest in my rant below.

Spoiler
I've got some people in some of my classes (english particularly) who put in zero effort into their studies. They just go on youtube or tumblr during class, or just talk over the teacher. Then when they get a low mark for their exams, they get mad at the teacher and refuse to go over the feedback. It doesn't make any sense. I really want them to realise that there is a possibility that their poor performance will drag the class down. Don't get me wrong, people who put in the effort but are still struggling with the subject are fine because I see the effort and time they put into the subject. It's just the ones that never do any work, annoy me so much!

Just don't worry about the other people in your modern history class. YOU focus on YOUR performance in modern history. Your performance in the HSC should be your priority. Your hsc exam determines your raw mark for modern history. I know it's hard to not worry about the other people in your class, but you need to work with the top people to maximise your marks as much as possible. Hopefully, you and your other fellow top classmates can drag the class up!

Good luck x
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2017, 10:18:05 pm »
+4
Chin up guys - Rest assured that provided you perform well, and that you've got a decent amount of the class performing well in the final exam, the impact of those few stragglers will be minimal! In general, if the "upper range" of students are way ahead of the lower half, then it will stay that way even after moderation :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 11:00:41 pm »
+4
I know how you feel! Wanted to let things off my chest in my rant below.

Spoiler
I've got some people in some of my classes (english particularly) who put in zero effort into their studies. They just go on youtube or tumblr during class, or just talk over the teacher. Then when they get a low mark for their exams, they get mad at the teacher and refuse to go over the feedback. It doesn't make any sense. I really want them to realise that there is a possibility that their poor performance will drag the class down. Don't get me wrong, people who put in the effort but are still struggling with the subject are fine because I see the effort and time they put into the subject. It's just the ones that never do any work, annoy me so much!

Just don't worry about the other people in your modern history class. YOU focus on YOUR performance in modern history. Your performance in the HSC should be your priority. Your hsc exam determines your raw mark for modern history. I know it's hard to not worry about the other people in your class, but you need to work with the top people to maximise your marks as much as possible. Hopefully, you and your other fellow top classmates can drag the class up!

Good luck x

it's so bad. no one gives a shit anymore and it's so disheartening because there are people who still care. despite my procrastinating tendencies, i still study, and i still care, and to think there's people who can threaten my marks is just ugh. my ranks are crap, no matter what i do so i'm absolutely stuffed.

thanks for your message! x

Chin up guys - Rest assured that provided you perform well, and that you've got a decent amount of the class performing well in the final exam, the impact of those few stragglers will be minimal! In general, if the "upper range" of students are way ahead of the lower half, then it will stay that way even after moderation :)

it's kind of hard to worry when the range is massive, and there's no outliers. classes are separated into people who care, and people who don't care. people who care don't get the marks they deserve, and the people who don't care just drag them down. we're not separated into high and low marks (can be good and bad i guess?) marks are pretty evenly spread out. super annoying.

i'll do the best i can in the hsc, and whatever happens, happens.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 09:38:30 pm »
+8
29/8

theme of the day: very, very, very tired and really frustrated with people

i feel so tired i can't concentrate on anything, and only accomplished one thing today after school, which is super disappointing, because i aim to do 3 tasks a night, so combination of homework, hand ins, etc. currently tossing between going home and having a nap, or staying after school tomorrow for this maths revision seminar thing that happens weekly, and not going to lie, sleep sounds great.

period 1 - catholic studies // pretty chill lesson, mostly because it's non-atar. spent the lesson talking about uac preferences, and uni in general with the class and our teacher. i think it was a good insight into uni, and i learnt a bit from that which is good :-)

period 2 - english // the subject that gives me the most anxiety. i think i mentioned this before, but my school does this weird rotation thing, and we're currently doing the discovery essay. got a bit of help on how to do it, and i was recommended to not do it thematically, because i said i used the plot to drive my argument (100% do not recommend, did it out of stress, and didn't work out nicely). i don't know how this is going to work, but i'm going to try a very rubric-based kinda thing which is already confusing myself thinking about it but i'll probably do a quick body paragraph next lesson and get it checked.

period 3 - maths // it is definitely not a good idea to be tired while doing maths. the amount of times i unintentionally tuned out in the lesson was bordering on ridiculous, and usually i'm quite an active learner, that is, for me to remember stuff easier, i have to participate in class, and my participation was lacking. i understood the work though, which is good, but it was really hard not to tune out. only a few weeks to go until i never have to do maths again!

period 4 - modern // felt so good coming out of modern today. one of the girls who didn't really care about work TRIED TO WRITE AN ESSAY TODAY!!!!!! she asked me for help which made me so happy, and she's making a conscious effort to try and learn the content and fit it in an essay. although i didn't get much work done this made my day :-)

period 5 - early leave // it sounds like i have a lot of early leaves, but really, i don't. this is the last one until next friday. i went to the library, did my maths homework, and went through a bunch of scholarships, so it was pretty productive. i couldn't focus long enough because i was so tired, and still am, so i haven't gotten much work done since then. will be sleeping earlier, so i can actually finish the modern stuff i started (and can someone pleaseeeee answer my question on the modern thread i am in dire need of help and inspiration for this essay).

creative update: almost finished the draft. will probably get it done and submitted on here by the end of the week, but be warned, it's terrible, and needs a lot of refining. also, a question: it's better to have two creatives prepared, but is it okay if i go into the hsc with one? i'll probably have a plot for another one drawn up in case my actual one doesn't fit the question, but will not having an extra one be a shit idea?

hope you all had a great day.

love,
fantasticbeasts x

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 11:19:23 pm »
+4
creative update: almost finished the draft. will probably get it done and submitted on here by the end of the week, but be warned, it's terrible, and needs a lot of refining. also, a question: it's better to have two creatives prepared, but is it okay if i go into the hsc with one? i'll probably have a plot for another one drawn up in case my actual one doesn't fit the question, but will not having an extra one be a shit idea?

Looking forward to reading it and helping you tweak it! ;D ;D

I only took one Creative into the HSC - You just need to make sure it is easily adaptable!! If you've got a well developed character(s) that you can pop into slightly different situations to match the demands of the question, then one is enough imo ;D

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 06:58:38 am »
+5

period 4 - modern // felt so good coming out of modern today. one of the girls who didn't really care about work TRIED TO WRITE AN ESSAY TODAY!!!!!! she asked me for help which made me so happy, and she's making a conscious effort to try and learn the content and fit it in an essay. although i didn't get much work done this made my day :-)
Its really inspiring to see you help and encourage others when you have so much to do yourself.. :D...keep going, you amazing thing...

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 10:19:41 am »
+4
Looking forward to reading it and helping you tweak it! ;D ;D

I only took one Creative into the HSC - You just need to make sure it is easily adaptable!! If you've got a well developed character(s) that you can pop into slightly different situations to match the demands of the question, then one is enough imo ;D

alrighty. the protagonist in my creative at the moment is me, because it's a personal discovery, but i don't think i've experienced anything life-changing enough to write another creative on/sustain a plot for around 800 words.

Its really inspiring to see you help and encourage others when you have so much to do yourself.. :D...keep going, you amazing thing...

thank you so much!!! helping others helps me as well :-)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 05:30:59 pm »
+6
30/8

themes of today: way more rested than yesterday, a little brain dead, and still frustrated with people

period 1 - modern // this isn't related to the lesson, but planning gifts for teachers is so hard. the modern class is combining with ancient for this, and i haven't gotten any money from modern which is so disappointing but anyway, back to what happened. today we did an in class source analysis, then it got peer marked. not going to lie i was upset about the b grade i got from my friend, but there's no excuses for that - i should revise more. still stuck on my nazi ideology essay, will keep you all updated.

period 2 - study // this is the most unproductive study of the entire timetable, because the teacher doesn't tell people to stop talking or encourage anyone to do work, so of course, nothing was done. tried to do my nazi ideology essay and that didn't work out. i really need to get going on that essay it's been a week since i tried to start it.

period 3 - legal // also unproductive. lesson was full of banter which is pretty fun but i couldn't get any work done because i was laughing the entire lesson.

period 4 - catholic studies // this was actually quite an interesting lesson, talking about current issues of debate. we did this exercise where there's a question on top of a piece of paper, then you write your answer at the bottom, fold it, then pass it around the group. it was a good lesson because while there were differing opinions, people respected what others had to say and acknowledged their viewpoints.

period 5 - maths // whoever though having maths in period 5 would be a great idea, what the hell. i felt tired throughout the lesson and loan repayments are so boring and pointless like isn't there a computer for this stuff? anyway, i came out of that lesson understanding the work so that's good i guess.

after school we have this maths revision seminar thing which is always really good, because you go through questions with a couple of people from the maths cohort and it clarifies any misunderstandings of concepts. i left feeling really brain dead, which is why i'm on here now, and will have to give myself a long break from 2 hours of intense maths hahahahah going to watch suits now (if the internet works) then do more maths because there's homework and we have another lesson tomorrow :-(

hope you all had an amazing day.

love,
fantasticbeasts x

also - who's going to be at the unsw open day? excited to meet some of you, if any of you are going to be there!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 06:11:50 pm »
+5
this isn't related to the lesson, but planning gifts for teachers is so hard. the modern class is combining with ancient for this, and i haven't gotten any money from modern which is so disappointing but anyway, back to what happened.
I feel this so much! I kinda want to buy presents for all of my teachers but my classes have only just started planning gifts and haven't even gotten money together yet. The only present we have somewhat planned is Ancient. For maths today, a couple of people were talking about buying a present and nobody else was interested. I can think of a few other classes that wouldn't want to do presents as well.

period 5 - maths // whoever though having maths in period 5 would be a great idea, what the hell. i felt tired throughout the lesson and loan repayments are so boring and pointless like isn't there a computer for this stuff? anyway, i came out of that lesson understanding the work so that's good i guess.
I had maths period 6 today-maths the last period of the day is such a bad idea. It was a catch up lesson but I ended up doing hardly any work.

also - who's going to be at the unsw open day? excited to meet some of you, if any of you are going to be there!
I should be going! Would be great to meet some of you! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 06:14:32 pm »
+4
period 4 - catholic studies // this was actually quite an interesting lesson, talking about current issues of debate. we did this exercise where there's a question on top of a piece of paper, then you write your answer at the bottom, fold it, then pass it around the group. it was a good lesson because while there were differing opinions, people respected what others had to say and acknowledged their viewpoints.
This ^ sounds so interesting!! Never heard of it before...maybe ive just had my head buried under the sand, but it sounds really cool  :D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 08:10:36 pm »
+3
I feel this so much! I kinda want to buy presents for all of my teachers but my classes have only just started planning gifts and haven't even gotten money together yet. The only present we have somewhat planned is Ancient. For maths today, a couple of people were talking about buying a present and nobody else was interested. I can think of a few other classes that wouldn't want to do presents as well.
I had maths period 6 today-maths the last period of the day is such a bad idea. It was a catch up lesson but I ended up doing hardly any work.
I should be going! Would be great to meet some of you! :D

yea same! it's very hard to organise because no one's giving money, although i totally understand, i'm broke as broke can be. some of the present ideas going around are reallyyyy good.

maths is such a brain draining subject, i'm still a bit tired from it now so will have to work a bit later tonight.

i'll create a thread for a meet up!!! very excited to meet a few of you :-)

This ^ sounds so interesting!! Never heard of it before...maybe ive just had my head buried under the sand, but it sounds really cool  :D

you've never heard of catholic studies the subject, or the activity? hahahah

i'll answer to both of them, but catholic studies is a non-atar subject. since i go to a catholic school, it's compulsory to do religion - so either studies of religion 1/2 or catholic studies. i used to do sor, but it got boring and pointless for me so i dropped to catholic studies. it's heaps more chill than sor because it's non-atar, and we talk about a lot of current issue stuff like today :-) the activity was really interesting because everything was totally anonymous, unless someone kept track of who answered what question in a certain order, and it does widen your horizons just that little bit more. :-))