Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:48:48 am

Author Topic: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ  (Read 77909 times)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2019, 04:43:24 pm »
+6
Wow damn those look good!! Specially the contrast (idk exactly understand photography and editing but it looks really nice! :D)

Thank you so much! We tried to go to a location that would have a really good contrast with her outfit to make her stand out in the photos. Seems like it worked out in the end ;D (The lighting also magically just came at the right place and right time so that helped bring some contrast you could say into the photos)
Will definitely post some more photos like these hopefully in the future! *stay tuned* 8)

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2019, 09:26:57 pm »
+7
Update: 18/12

So first off before I go into anything, thank you so much to those that were at the meetup on Sunday! It was lovely to meet you all and it was definitely a very enjoyable experience! (That Uno game was seriously so good and those cookies...YUM)

For those that are reading this right now and are in the class of 2020 or younger, what do you plan to study once you leave high school and why do you want to study it? With Uni offers out today for the Year 12s, it sort of got me thinking that I still really don't know what on earth I want to truly study. I've been tossing up the ideas of statistics and mathematical physics for a long time but then there is that arty part of me that wants to do design (I guess engineering would probably be the best in this situation). If you have any good ideas of eliminating options let me know!

Ok so moving onto the more interesting school subject stuff~

PDT:
Ok so my goal for 2020 is to get into VCE Top Design for 2021 and let's be real, who wouldn't want to have their VCE Folio and Product displayed in a museum? Probably won't happen but who knows.
On the other hand, I finished learning all of Unit 3 + Unit 4 and now I'm just starting to get inspiration for my final piece I'll be making for my project! Right now, my end-user is just trying to figure out which Pokemon she wants to model for next year. Hopefully we can finalise on one soon so I can make some visualisations! (I'm so excited to make a costume and a massive weapon ;D)

So here are the potential options my end-user is picking out of~ This is definitely going to determine my folio colour scheme for the next 10 months.

Physics: (♡I LOVE PHYSICS SO MUCH♡)
So I have officially finished learning AOS 3 (Motion) and AOS 1 (Fields)! Just going to do AOS 2 now and I'm all set for Unit 3. Currently just trying to compile a whole pack of SAC revision material as well as filtering through the old Physics study design for some more questions I can work on throughout the year. I've also been stalking the NSW Physics exams as they have some good questions on projectile motion and fields in general. (If anyone does Physics and wants a list of stuff that overlaps from our study design in other states DM me). I am really enjoying Unit 3 of Physics so far and I might be able to even finish Unit 4 before next year even begins! 8)

Chemistry:
One AOS down, another AOS to go for Unit 3! The whole idea of fuels and energy was quite simple to understand, considering most of it was actually from 1/2. Chemistry is actually going pretty smoothly and so far is much easier than 1/2? Everything is flowing really nicely in Chemistry and sort of links together very well!

Methods:
Only 3-4 chapters in and have barely done any work for this subject. Aiming to catch up a little next week! I'm so sorry for neglecting you Methods

English:
I have officially lost count of how many times I have watched Rear Window. (This movie is surprisingly addictive to watch). I've also have been re-reading my English books (Never let me go and Stasiland) and trying to pick out some interesting ideas to write for future essays. I've also tried to expand my vocabulary for Argument Analysis so it makes it much easier for me to focus on ideas rather than constantly worrying about my essay flow.

Well that's it for me for this update! How is everyone else going? Also is anyone going to the AN Lectures in January? If so, we should meet up sometime!

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2019, 09:53:50 pm »
+3
Update: 18/12

So first off before I go into anything, thank you so much to those that were at the meetup on Sunday! It was lovely to meet you all and it was definitely a very enjoyable experience! (That Uno game was seriously so good and those cookies...YUM)

For those that are reading this right now and are in the class of 2020 or younger, what do you plan to study once you leave high school and why do you want to study it? With Uni offers out today for the Year 12s, it sort of got me thinking that I still really don't know what on earth I want to truly study. I've been tossing up the ideas of statistics and mathematical physics for a long time but then there is that arty part of me that wants to do design (I guess engineering would probably be the best in this situation). If you have any good ideas of eliminating options let me know!

Ok so moving onto the more interesting school subject stuff~

PDT:
Ok so my goal for 2020 is to get into VCE Top Design for 2021 and let's be real, who wouldn't want to have their VCE Folio and Product displayed in a museum? Probably won't happen but who knows.
On the other hand, I finished learning all of Unit 3 + Unit 4 and now I'm just starting to get inspiration for my final piece I'll be making for my project! Right now, my end-user is just trying to figure out which Pokemon she wants to model for next year. Hopefully we can finalise on one soon so I can make some visualisations! (I'm so excited to make a costume and a massive weapon ;D)

So here are the potential options my end-user is picking out of~ This is definitely going to determine my folio colour scheme for the next 10 months.
(Image removed from quote.)

Physics: (♡I LOVE PHYSICS SO MUCH♡)
So I have officially finished learning AOS 3 (Motion) and AOS 1 (Fields)! Just going to do AOS 2 now and I'm all set for Unit 3. Currently just trying to compile a whole pack of SAC revision material as well as filtering through the old Physics study design for some more questions I can work on throughout the year. I've also been stalking the NSW Physics exams as they have some good questions on projectile motion and fields in general. (If anyone does Physics and wants a list of stuff that overlaps from our study design in other states DM me). I am really enjoying Unit 3 of Physics so far and I might be able to even finish Unit 4 before next year even begins! 8)

Chemistry:
One AOS down, another AOS to go for Unit 3! The whole idea of fuels and energy was quite simple to understand, considering most of it was actually from 1/2. Chemistry is actually going pretty smoothly and so far is much easier than 1/2? Everything is flowing really nicely in Chemistry and sort of links together very well!

Methods:
Only 3-4 chapters in and have barely done any work for this subject. Aiming to catch up a little next week! I'm so sorry for neglecting you Methods

English:
I have officially lost count of how many times I have watched Rear Window. (This movie is surprisingly addictive to watch). I've also have been re-reading my English books (Never let me go and Stasiland) and trying to pick out some interesting ideas to write for future essays. I've also tried to expand my vocabulary for Argument Analysis so it makes it much easier for me to focus on ideas rather than constantly worrying about my essay flow.

Well that's it for me for this update! How is everyone else going? Also is anyone going to the AN Lectures in January? If so, we should meet up sometime!

Wow sounds like you are super on top of your work! Especially PDT (how have you already finished the course!?)! Not really any idea what I want to do after school. Probably biomedicine as I loved biology this year and chemistry is my favourite subject.
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2019, 09:58:19 pm »
+3
Sounds like you've had a productive week Ashmi! You've actually motivated me to go and do some school work now ha ha.

What lectures are you planning to go for? I've so far got Chem down for the 15th.

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2019, 10:30:21 pm »
+6
Wow sounds like you are super on top of your work! Especially PDT (how have you already finished the course!?)! Not really any idea what I want to do after school. Probably biomedicine as I loved biology this year and chemistry is my favourite subject.

In all honesty, I have no clue how I finished everything for PDT :P. I sort of just sat down and literally read the whole textbook in one hit. Thankfully most of the things in there I have actually learnt in previous years and all I really needed to know was some fancy processes for making clothes to a large industrial scale. (If you do Chemistry, you can save yourself a lot of work when it comes to materials. Didn't even realise how useful Chem was till I saw polyethylene terephthalate in my PDT textbook).

Biomedicine sounds like a really good choice since you love Chem and Bio! Do you have an idea what uni you wanted to study it at?

Sounds like you've had a productive week Ashmi! You've actually motivated me to go and do some school work now ha ha.

What lectures are you planning to go for? I've so far got Chem down for the 15th.

*sending inspirational signals to you* Don't worry, I was procrastinating really badly the other week so I'm trying to make up for it now. ::)
I have Chem of the 15th too!! We should definitely meet up up sometime on the day! ;D

My schedule right now is:
Jan 13th - Physics
Jan 14th - Methods + Eng
Jan 15th - Chem

Who am I seeing in January??? ;D

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2019, 10:34:42 pm »
+2
I was thinking of just doing a bachelor of science majoring in immunology (I love diseases, especially the extremely deadly pathogens) as I would love to work at the CDC, or in chemistry. I may go into dietetics, but the job market is SOO bad.
It's amazing that you have got so much pre studying done! I really need to get on the bandwagon, but time keeps going by quicker....

I want to go to the lectures, but i'm getting my wisdom teeth out on the day it starts, and I rather not leave the house as a chipmunk....

It will be awesome to see your portfolio throughout the year, I hope you keep uploading your work!
At least we will be in the same boat of taking all heavy subjects, and have that one the scales down massively. I mean PTD scales down just as much as food studies, it insane...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:37:17 pm by Geoo »
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2019, 11:04:18 pm »
+5
I was thinking of just doing a bachelor of science majoring in immunology (I love diseases, especially the extremely deadly pathogens) as I would love to work at the CDC, or in chemistry. I may go into dietetics, but the job market is SOO bad.
It's amazing that you have got so much pre studying done! I really need to get on the bandwagon, but time keeps going by quicker....

I want to go to the lectures, but i'm getting my wisdom teeth out on the day it starts, and I rather not leave the house as a chipmunk....

It will be awesome to see your portfolio throughout the year, I hope you keep uploading your work!
At least we will be in the same boat of taking all heavy subjects, and have that one the scales down massively. I mean PTD scales down just as much as food studies, it insane...

Immunology sounds so cool! Where did you plan to study it at? (Melb Uni? Monash?)
I actually haven't realised how much work I've actually done till I was writing in my journal tonight actually. (PDT, Physics and Chem feels more like a hobby rather than a subject which is weird) Our time is actually disappearing so quickly and we are nearly at Christmas, let alone the end of the year :o
You probably don't want to be going out of the house when you are getting your wisdom teeth out. *sending healing powers*  At least you will get a copy of the lecture slides! Hopefully, I'll see you for Term 2 holidays then ;D (The chipmunk bit had me laughing way too hard)

I'll definitely be uploading a lot of my folio for this year into this journal for sure! I might even have a few pages of visualisations done by the end of the week if I can get my PDT contract finalised.
VCAA really hates us and our arty subjects don't they? Like it takes so much work to do a folio (PDT SACs and Folio is 70% of SS) and then our exam decides the scaling of our folios? It is so bizarre and PDT and Food Studies scale down by at least -7 which is insane! :'( Even with scores that are 46+, it scales down so badly still. We can suffer together Geoo :P
*A silent moment to all the VCE Art/Design/Tech students out there suffering from scaling*

Chocolatemilkshake

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2019, 06:57:25 am »
+2
In all honesty, I have no clue how I finished everything for PDT :P. I sort of just sat down and literally read the whole textbook in one hit. Thankfully most of the things in there I have actually learnt in previous years and all I really needed to know was some fancy processes for making clothes to a large industrial scale. (If you do Chemistry, you can save yourself a lot of work when it comes to materials. Didn't even realise how useful Chem was till I saw polyethylene terephthalate in my PDT textbook).

Biomedicine sounds like a really good choice since you love Chem and Bio! Do you have an idea what uni you wanted to study it at?

Probably Melbourne or Monash, I have no idea what to choose and kind of have been neglecting it.

ArtyDreams

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2019, 08:51:36 am »
+2

Oh yeahhh.....gotta love Art subjects though ha ha. Lucky for me, Art doesnt get scaled down too much, if I score high enough it should stay the same.

But yeah..its so annoying how they can scale down out folios if we just do poorly on the exam.....

I'm *planning* on doing the BSci @ Melbourne Uni, just to keep my options open, as I'm still so indesisive, and hopefully moving towards Biomedical Engineering.

And yay! Hopefully will see you at the lectures in Jan  ;D

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2019, 09:53:49 am »
+6
Probably Melbourne or Monash, I have no idea what to choose and kind of have been neglecting it.

You have plenty of time to decide! Got a good 6 months to figure it out in the end ;D

Oh yeahhh.....gotta love Art subjects though ha ha. Lucky for me, Art doesnt get scaled down too much, if I score high enough it should stay the same.

But yeah..its so annoying how they can scale down out folios if we just do poorly on the exam.....

I'm *planning* on doing the BSci @ Melbourne Uni, just to keep my options open, as I'm still so indesisive, and hopefully moving towards Biomedical Engineering.

And yay! Hopefully will see you at the lectures in Jan  ;D

I'm also planning to do Bsci at Melb Uni so if you do rock with that, I guess we will see each other around! :P (Bioengineering sounds so good!)
Let's all pray that we all do good in our Art/Design based subjects to avoid the monstrous scaling that is paired with it. Art subjects definitely need much more love than they deserve! Will see you in Jan for the lectures! :D

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2019, 11:56:36 pm »
+6
Update: 23/12

I just realised that Christmas is less than 2 days away. Even more surprising, the year is about to end in just over a week. Anyone doing anything interesting this Christmas? Also, does anyone have any tips with sticking with your New Year's Resolution? (I am a terrible culprit for not staying on track)

For pretty much the last 5 days, I've been working on making a start to my PDT Folio!
Just got a confirmation from my end-user on what Pokemon she decided to go with (Leafeon) and so far there has been some sort of progress (My folio kind of looks like choc-mint ice cream). I ended up playing the Pokemon game for my end-user (which I played when it was first released back in 2008 ish) and nostalgia has hit me like a truck. My emotions were everywhere once I finished playing the game and now there are a few ideas swirling in my head. I'm excited to get some designs done soon! (Hopefully once I stop procrastinating).

After playing the game again which I haven't seen in almost 10 years, I realised some of the game's settings look similar to a particular part of Victoria. I visited a lot of places to do some research and get some inspiration for my folio, one of the places being Portarlington. Once I finish with these research pages I might upload them into this journal? (The game setting in this particular city and Portarlington look almost exactly the same in a way).

I've also been having a lot of problems trying to make the final theme of this folio look appealing. After multiple attempts of experimenting with different designs, I ended up rolling with a really simple green bar like theme? I'm not too sure if this works (or even looks good) so if you have any suggestions to make the folio stand out I would love to know!

Some example pages of my folio currently~

I've been debating what to make my front cover of my folio look like and so far the only idea I have is this (happens to be my friends that made a cosplay this year for PDT and it sort of fits the theme of nostalgia so I might end up keeping it)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:03:21 am by ashmi »

ArtyDreams

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2019, 08:54:14 am »
+2
Oh this folio is so cool!!! Its so interesting to see a completely digital folio as all the ones I've seen are traditional.

I really like the colour scehem and format. Its simple, but because its simple it doesnt draw away from the images and writing on the page.

Chocolatemilkshake

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2019, 09:42:43 am »
+2
Love the folio so far  ;)

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2019, 10:25:19 am »
+6
Oh this folio is so cool!!! Its so interesting to see a completely digital folio as all the ones I've seen are traditional.

I really like the colour scehem and format. Its simple, but because its simple it doesnt draw away from the images and writing on the page.

After much debate throughout the year, I did end up deciding to do my folio digitally! I was a tad bit scared not doing a traditional one as I have only seen one digital folio (which happened to be in Top Designs this year) that has actually worked, but at the same time, I wanted my folio do have a different feel to it. My drawing skills are much better when done digitally than the traditional method which is sort of weird, but hopefully, it works with me next year! Also, digital folios are so nice that if you make a mistake, it is really easy to fix (I did a traditional folio for Unit 1 and as soon as I made a mistake when writing it was horrifying to fix it). If you plan to apply for Top Designs, it makes it so much easier in the application process

Looks like I'll keep the simple colour scheme now! Thank you so much for your feedback ;D

Love the folio so far  ;)
Thank you~~~
Let's hope the quality doesn't get any worse from here on out :P

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2019, 12:48:41 pm »
+3
Also, does anyone have any tips with sticking with your New Year's Resolution? (I am a terrible culprit for not staying on track)
If you have a lot of goals, or just some big goals that can be split into mini-goals, how about making them into a bingo card?

You could set up a grid on an A4 sheet of paper, writing small, achievable goals in each box. Add a number in a corner, stating how many times you need to do that goal before you can cross that box off. Each time you achieve any goals on the page, you can put a tally mark in that box. Once you have hit the number in the corner, cross the box off. Then, like a normal game of bingo, your aim is to have an entire row, column or diagonal crossed off by the end of the year.

To add difficulty, try to make similar goals as far away from each other on the grid and if it’s a small, simple goal, make it so that you have to do a lot of times e.g. 50. (Same goes for habits you want to create.)

The hardest part of this is not lying to yourself and doing this regularly enough that you keep yourself accountable.

I did this at the beginning of 2019 with a 7 x 7 grid and I stuck this sheet somewhere I’d see it regularly, with a pen nearby. It kind of worked; I achieved majority of the mini goals like drinking more water each day and getting more steps in a day than last year, with me about to hit bingo very soon (possibly today). I’m hoping to make a new bingo card today for 2020 and carry this on, as I found it quite helpful, so maybe this will work for you too. :)

I've also been having a lot of problems trying to make the final theme of this folio look appealing. After multiple attempts of experimenting with different designs, I ended up rolling with a really simple green bar like theme? I'm not too sure if this works (or even looks good) so if you have any suggestions to make the folio stand out I would love to know!
It looks great! Sometimes simple is good.  :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:51:24 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread