Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:22:32 am

Author Topic: Textbooks?  (Read 1910 times)  Share 

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
Textbooks?
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:31:57 am »
+1
Hi there! So I've enrolled in all my units for my first year of Arts/Law at Monash and put in my preferences on Allocate.
I was just wondering when I'm likely to find out what textbooks I need to buy? Is there a place I can find this info online?
Also, is there somewhere I can buy textbooks secondhand? I'll buy them new if it's like a new edition or something but I am trying to save money so it would be good if I could get some secondhand.
Thanks!
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
Re: Textbooks?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:00 am »
+3
Hey,

You can find your booklist on my.monash: 'My course' tile > Booklists :)

A lot of students seem to exchange/buy/sell textbooks on StudentVIP or I believe there's also a Facebook group (MonashSellmyspace I think?)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:43 am »
+5
Textbooks are almost always a waste of money, so it's usually a good idea to sus things out for a few weeks first to see whether you really need them.

If all else fails, they do certainly make your bookshelf look more academic though?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:08:14 am »
+1
Hey,

You can find your booklist on my.monash: 'My course' tile > Booklists :)

A lot of students seem to exchange/buy/sell textbooks on StudentVIP or I believe there's also a Facebook group (MonashSellmyspace I think?)

Thank you! I probably should have found the booklist myself but I'm notoriously bad at finding stuff. I'll have a look now :)
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:51:33 am »
+1
If you don't buy the textbooks though, and there are readings, where do you get that information from to study?

That's why Vox said to wait a few weeks before buying - if there are prescribed readings, then you'll have to get a copy of the text (either purchase or library loan), but there are also some units where you can get by without the textbook. There isn't a set rule for this, so you'll have to see how the unit is run first before you can make a decision :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:51:38 pm »
+2
Textbooks are almost always a waste of money, so it's usually a good idea to sus things out for a few weeks first to see whether you really need them.

If all else fails, they do certainly make your bookshelf look more academic though?

Can confirm they make great bookends.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 06:06:59 pm »
To the OP, only time I'd actually get the books is if they're readings made specifically for the unit (e.g. some Arts units ask that you buy a "reader" from the book store). If you're taking Japanese language units (e.g. Beginner, Intermediate, Proficient and Advanced), you will also definitely need the textbooks, as they get right into it on Day 1; I'm not sure if this happens in other LOTE languages. Most other areas can generally hold off a bit or borrow from the library.

EDIT Part I: I forgot to mention, but Monash Marketplace is a good place to start finding second-hand books. There's also a few more websites you can try if you need them.

EDIT Part II: Lab coats can be bought at the Green Chemical Futures in the first week or so into semester, if you're taking units with labs e.g. Bio, Chem, Biomed, etc.. If you run out of luck there, try going to the bookshop at Campus Centre at any time it's open. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:19:13 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 06:08:13 pm »
+1
To the OP, only time I'd actually get the books is if they're readings made specifically for the unit (e.g. some Arts units ask that you buy a "reader" from the book store). If you're taking Japanese language units (e.g. Beginner, Intermediate, Proficient and Advanced), you will also definitely need the textbooks, as they get right into it on Day 1; I'm not sure if this happens in other LOTE languages. Most other areas can generally hold off a bit or borrow from the library.

Yep, if your unit has a reader (for Arts), this is essential to get.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:16:42 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 07:01:19 pm »
Has been said earlier but wait a few weeks to see what textbooks you'll actually need! Buying secondhand through relevant Facebook pages is usually a great way to go.

Another great method is to borrow the textbook (particularly good if you're not going to use the textbook after that sem)! If they're not in demand you'll be able to keep the book out on loan perpetually (it'll just keep auto-renewing when it gets near the due date).

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:59 pm »
For Law, the best place to buy and sell textbooks is the Monash Law group on Facebook!

I've also found that a lot of my Arts textbooks can be accessed for free online (i.e. as e-books) through the Monash Library!
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator