Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:01 pm

Author Topic: Maths Study - Music???  (Read 1649 times)  Share 

shaynec19

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Maths Study - Music???
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:33:48 pm »
Listening to Music while doing maths, to be or not to be?
I always have, and have got great marks, but just wondering if anyone else out there had the same problem and what their thoughts are?

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
Re: Maths Study - Music???
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:40:51 pm »
I always have, and have got great marks, but just wondering if anyone else out there had the same problem and what their thoughts are?
It all depends on your choice. For me, killing two birds with one stone is a no-go for me, especially whilst doing homework and listening to music simultaneously.
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:44:39 pm »

Hey!

This definitely comes down to personal preference and how well you can multitask. Personally, I listen to music whilst doing homework but not when testing my knowledge with practice exams. I find that most people find it distracting and they make more errors when listening. Also, it doesn't replicate the exam situation as you wouldn't be listening to music during the HSC.

meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

shaynec19

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:47:25 pm »
Hey!

This definitely comes down to personal preference and how well you can multitask. Personally, I listen to music whilst doing homework but not when testing my knowledge with practice exams. I find that most people find it distracting and they make more errors when listening. Also, it doesn't replicate the exam situation as you wouldn't be listening to music during the HSC.

meerae :)
Ok that's great to know someone else out there does!! Yeh i def dont listen to it whilst doing practice exams, but mainly when doing long hours of repetitive course work!
Thanks for the response!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 08:58:04 pm »
+3
I frequently listen to instrumental these days whilst studying for my university math subjects now. I don't find this abnormal at all.

Back then in the HSC I may have listened to some J-pop songs but not sure.

aspiringantelope

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:48 pm »
Yessssss
I would never be able to be as far as I am now without listening to music when doing Math
I literally do it everyday with every other subject LOL

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:11:03 pm »

yeah I generally would listen to something with headphones or just play something in the background. However, I made sure to do all practice exams in exam conditions as to try to get into a place that is a replica of what I would be in during the real exam.