Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:31 pm

Author Topic: Transferring Degrees  (Read 586 times)  Share 

Onekeeper

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Transferring Degrees
« on: February 25, 2020, 03:48:56 pm »
I've found myself in an unusual situation I find what I'm studying but I no longer have any interest to pursue it and want to transfer out. Anyone have any experience with this and how you worked it out?

I've found a degree which I love the look of and its associated career. But it is online at Charles Sturt uni, rather than my curent face to face at USYD. I'm worried I may look bad going from a prestigious place. Anyone have any thoughts on that as well?
HSC 2018: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Advanced English, English Extension 1, Music 2, Music Extension

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Transferring Degrees
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 05:30:29 pm »
+5
It depends on your reasoning for wanting to transfer. If it’s more of a “I want to see if the grass is greener on the other side” thing, I’d be hesitant about your situation. If it’s a “I can’t cope with the environment” thing or a “I can’t do this because I genuinely can’t see myself doing this as a career” thing, then I’d be trying to back myself there and be more certain about the move. Personally, you’re paying thousands for a degree, so you should definitely be looking for something that you’re going to be passionate about in the long term (at least the duration you’ll be doing the degree for). If you know you can’t stand what you’re doing for much longer (often this is associated with loathing of the area), then that’s probably a telltale sign that you should perhaps transfer.

As for going from a prestigious place to a lesser known place, as long as you are happiest with what you have chosen and you’re able to justify to yourself why you made the move that you did, then it doesn’t matter where you did your degree and what others say. Depending on the area, especially if there’s accreditation involved (e.g. Engineering), the courses might already be very similar, so you’d basically learn very similar content irrespective of which institute you pick.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread