Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:51:02 am

Author Topic: 10 markers  (Read 1534 times)  Share 

Boots

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
10 markers
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:57:39 am »
‘Parliament is a very effective law-maker. There are no significant weaknesses in the way parliament carries out this role.’
Discuss this statement and indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree with it.
Justify your conclusions.

im confused as to how many points i should include....

is it:  strength+weakness (4mrks)

strength+weakness (4mrks)

conlcsuion (2mrks)

what is the correct way?

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
Re: 10 markers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:07:08 am »
what year is that? That quetion is marked globaly, so there is no one way to answer it.

The way I'd do it is to to talk about the strenghts and weaknesses of parliament (maybe 3 or 4 of each, illustrated with examples), making constant refferences to the statement (cos it says 'discuss this statement') then sum it all up in the conclusion (and state if i agree with it of course).

As long as you give a reasonably detailed eveluation of parliament (use up all the lines), use a few examples, refference the statement a lot, and remember to disagree with it then you should get all the marks.
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

Boots

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:22:54 am »
what year is that? That quetion is marked globaly, so there is no one way to answer it.

The way I'd do it is to to talk about the strenghts and weaknesses of parliament (maybe 3 or 4 of each, illustrated with examples), making constant refferences to the statement (cos it says 'discuss this statement') then sum it all up in the conclusion (and state if i agree with it of course).

As long as you give a reasonably detailed eveluation of parliament (use up all the lines), use a few examples, refference the statement a lot, and remember to disagree with it then you should get all the marks.

all the lines? my teacher said that 2.5 out of the 3.5 pages given to us should be enough

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:25:23 am »
Really? Mine said to try and use up all the lines, and then a little more if we needed... I spose it's quality over quantity though, if your answer is good, then you can use less space...

Also, 200th Post!!!! :D

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »
my advice would just be to answer the question as best you can with the strongest points. I feel that one strength and one weakness would be worth 2 marks, and that your conclusion/ assessment of the statement would also be worth two marks. 4 points and a direct assessment of the statement as a summing up of all your points (provided the points are valid) should get you full marks?

also, when giving a strength, try to find a weakness that is directly related to that strength, this prevents your answer from becomming a list rather than an assessment.

is it just me, or do you have to try and sit on the fence about the topic they give you? always have to discuss the weaknesses :(
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

flash36

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:44:30 pm »
I think when you're linking the strengths and weaknesses just make it clear which you are accentuating. For instance if the topic asks to discuss the extent to which I agree that parliament is the supreme law maker, I tend to give a weakness first then contrast it with a strength as a means of countering it, making is obvious that I think parliament is the supreme law maker.

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:28 pm »
I have a question that probably deserves a new thread, but I don't wanna make a new one.

With regards to the cosnstitution, is the express right of not being discriminated on the basis of your state of residence under S99 or S117?

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:38:07 pm »
section 117 according to my textbook chrisjb

I have a question of my own regarding 10 mark questions:
I just did the 2006 legal studies sample exam and I didn't run out of time, but I was severely lacking in terms of it. I doubt it's my time management, more how much I write for some questions and the speed with which I do it, but I only had 20 minutes (give or take) for the 10 mark question and, averaging 8 words a line (way too lazy and it's stupid to count exactly) I got about 320 words (about 1 and a half pages of the lines). I've been told by my teacher it's meant to be essay length, in fact, he told me it's meant to be an essay, so what do people on here think the minimum amount of words and points you should discuss are

could I just ask people to not say 'it's quality over quantity'. I know it is, but there's probably an absolute minimum. also, when we make a point e.g. "common law provides flexibility" and we criticially evaluate that point by discussing a weakness simultaneously, would that count as two points or still just one? (i'm under the impression we need around 4 points in our response as legal seems to be two marks for one point in most other questions)
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:48:04 pm »
Ten mark question length on the three exams I could find

Exam 1: ~680
Exam 2: ~700 (this was a VCAA one)
Exam 3: ~760

I have been told that I write too much. In one of my SACs, about three paragraphs before the end my teacher put a little note that said 'you had all the marks by this point'. Also, I do my exams in a very wierd sequence. I start at the third last question and do that then the second last question, then the last one except for the conclusion then go backwards from the fourth last question untill i have finished the rest of the paper, then go and add in any extra bits to questions that i thought were lacking (depending on time), then if I have time, put a couple mroe paragraphs into my last question then the conclusion of it... It works for me :)

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 05:06:40 pm »
how much time do you allocate to the 10 mark question?
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 05:12:09 pm »
it vaires, I allocate the first 60 minutes to the final three questions (60 minutes for 26 marks), so I'll usualy spend about 25 minutes or so in the first instance, then depending on the amount of time a the end up to another 10 mins on it.

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:26:50 pm »
might give your method a try tomorrow
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

claire92

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »
Ten mark question length on the three exams I could find

Exam 1: ~680
Exam 2: ~700 (this was a VCAA one)
Exam 3: ~760

I have been told that I write too much. In one of my SACs, about three paragraphs before the end my teacher put a little note that said 'you had all the marks by this point'. Also, I do my exams in a very wierd sequence. I start at the third last question and do that then the second last question, then the last one except for the conclusion then go backwards from the fourth last question untill i have finished the rest of the paper, then go and add in any extra bits to questions that i thought were lacking (depending on time), then if I have time, put a couple mroe paragraphs into my last question then the conclusion of it... It works for me :)
I do this aswell, I jump straight into my higher mark questions and spend the appropriate time, ( bring my own watch in), as well as about 1 minute planning my essay, literally just keywords, what I need, then mark Agree, not agree, however ect...

Then I go to the beginning and fill in those easy unit three mark questions, so when my brain is really pumping it out I'm in prime condition to start my 10 mark question. Just be careful to fill in every question, and not miss a page!