Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:28:23 am

Author Topic: What to learn for The Nossal Test 2019? For Maths, Numerical,Verbal etc:  (Read 7642 times)  Share 

Louis23

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Guys i need some help

Louis23

• Forum Regular

Guys i need some help

I really want to get it guys :'(

Aearator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
+1
Maths: learn all yr9 content. Surds, parabolas, factorising, inequalities e.t.c. I personally made revision sheets for each chapter so that when the exam was coming up, I could just revise by looking at my notes for each maths topic,. You can find this content in any good yr9 maths textbook

Reading: do a ton of practice tests, read short stories on multiple genres, extend your vocab. The BEST way to improve on this would actually just be to set aside 20-30 mins a day and read a short story, this is what I did for the last month before the exam as I struggled with reading comp and it worked wonders for me.

Verbal: This one really can’t be practiced for imo, it was mostly just logic questions and stuff. Maybe try and expand your vocab and focus on timing yourself so that you know how much time to spend on each question and you can get thru the whole test and answer as many questions as you can. Other than that, might be helpful to work on stuff like anagrams, analogical reasons, encoding and decoding messages.

Numerical: Ahhhh, I screwed this one so bad this year  :P  I remember doing SO many practice tests for this, this was legit the only one I was SURE I was gonna do well in. Most of the questions, like verbal, were ones you could not train for. They were just so unfamiliar lol. Can’t reallt give tips on this one other than to make sure you time yourself to attempt all the questions you can do, and familiarise yourself with common questions. Maybe having a look at some number sequences, patterns, rates and rations problems and stuff will help on this :)

Creative and Analytical: Honeslty, this year these topics were not THAT hard. Just read books to pick up ideas for creative, mayble learn about current issues for analytical, but other than that the best practice for these is to set a time for 15 minutes and get writing. Get someone to critique it after you finish

The best tip I could give would just be to stay as calm as possible during the test, and to not spend too much time on one question. Also, with guessing, if you have 10 questions left with 30 seconds left or something, it’s probably best to guess “C”. But if you have a question and you have 2 minutes left, it’s probably best to eliminate some obvious choices and then guess.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask  :D
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

cloudyy

• Forum Regular
  • !
  • Respect: +2
You should check out the top two ones that are pinned on this forum. They have most of the stuff already that you should know. And just don't freak out, there's still a year left to study for.

pro(crastinator)

• Trailblazer
For the writing tests, I highly recommend posting your 15-minute essays on AtarNotes and having other people mark it like in this thread. It definitely helped me.

Louis23

• Forum Regular
Will anyone respond on it now because this years test just finished?

ImAdit

• Adventurer
If you go to James an, try to get tops and above and nothing below highers.

That's what I usually got and the result was a success.

Don't stress cause you guys have loads of time (:

In the last two months or so you really need to work hard though by going through all your collected material and by doing the government tests.

-good luck ;)

sid0057

• Adventurer
I suggest doing some Henderson’s mock test papers, maybe your family friends will hook u up with some. MHS ;)

Louis23

• Forum Regular
Could any of you give me all topics to learn for Maths. Eg: Surds

Would finishing the Essential Year 9 Mathematics book help?

Is the test on the Department of Education the same? The questions?

sid0057

• Adventurer
Surds
Pythagoras
A little trig
Graphing important, linear equations, parabolas, etc
Algebra
Geometry
Probability
Patterns,etc.
Analyse all the year 9 maths textbook. 😀 mhs

ImAdit

• Adventurer
Re: What to learn for The Nossal Test 2019? For Maths, Numerical,Verbal etc:
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:38:59 pm »
Could any of you give me all topics to learn for Maths. Eg: Surds

If you go to James an or Henderson’s then all the topics covered there. I recommend Sid’s post.

Would finishing the Essential Year 9 Mathematics book help?

Yes, as our school uses that and more than around 85-90 percent of ppl that tried for mhs got in.

Is the test on the Department of Education the same? The questions?

Well the tests are obviosly not the same; however, the number of questions is Same respectively and the style of questions are similar but much easier than the real test. You should be aiming right now for at least 80 ish percent, as you will have time to improve. In the last few weeks tho if you decide to redo the tests (which is helpful) aim for at least 90 percent

blackcocoa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 11:07:23 am »
Try to time yourself when doing practices so you can go faster. You have many months before the exam, try to build solid foundation.

starlight99

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 06:13:16 pm »
Try reading lots and lots of books before the exam for comprehension, writing tests & verbal reasoning. If you can’t find too many practice tests you can also do a Henderson’s course or James Anh. Doing Year 9 naplan tests can also help - but don’t rely on them cause the questions in the actual test can be a lot harder.

For the maths and numerical reasoning try going through a whole year 9 textbook and again practice tests. You could also try purchasing a few practice select entry tests.

Good luck :)

Servillian

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 09:06:36 pm »
For your creative essay, make an interesting/original plot.
I did the same type of story that probably a third of the other people did, and as a result I only got an AVERAGE(which subsequently is probably the only reason I got rejected).
Don’t make the same mistake I did

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 09:08:59 pm »
Does anyone have any tips to improve numerical and verbal reasoning?

DO you have any links to good practice tests?

for the people who did the test this year can you please put on this chat any similar questions