Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:45:39 am

Author Topic: Chemistry: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 4065 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Chemistry: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 12:05:31 pm »

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:44:01 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

LadyWhoAsksTooMuchQuestions

• Trailblazer
Re: Chemistry: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 07:59:15 am »
don't forget senior science!  :D :D :D

:D
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Information Digital and Technology
Community and Family Studies
Senior Science

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:57:59 pm »
That was actuallly a pretty decent exam. A few tricky ones but overall manageable. Multiple choice was much easier than past papers which is good. Weird constant question in industrial but got it by guess and check so then sort of justified it so hopefully 3 marks at least. Used 4 booklets because had to keep restarting and I go my told by supervisors to submit all (crossed out all but correct one) so the marker is probably going to be very confused by my 10 pages😂
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 01:12:19 pm »
Not a bad exam, but the 4 mark industrial question was a bit of a titf.

superjerry12

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »
If I left an x next to my working which turned out to be correct (very visible working) and redid it how much marks do I lose?

This is for the 4 marker on the fermentation question.

varun.amin

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:28:52 pm »
Exam was pretty easy in comparison to the past few years. A few notes:
-More calculations questions (Fermentation, Molar Heat of combustion and Titration)
-Multiple choice was much easier than past papers
-Interesting 7 marker at the end based on increases in CO2 concentrations, rising temperatures and the burning of fossil fuels
-Can't speak for other modules but the shipwrecks was pretty standard. Little but stumped by the two methods to clean silver though ( I only knew electrolysis).
- Either band cutoffs will be higher than the past few years or they'll mark harder
Class of 2018:
English Advanced (89) | English Extension One (90) | 2U Maths (92) | Maths Extension One (86)  | Chemistry (89) | Economics (90)

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 01:39:43 pm »
Exam was pretty easy in comparison to the past few years. A few notes:
-More calculations questions (Fermentation, Molar Heat of combustion and Titration)
-Multiple choice was much easier than past papers
-Interesting 7 marker at the end based on increases in CO2 concentrations, rising temperatures and the burning of fossil fuels
-Can't speak for other modules but the shipwrecks was pretty standard. Little but stumped by the two methods to clean silver though ( I only knew electrolysis).
- Either band cutoffs will be higher than the past few years or they'll mark harder
I agree shipwrecks was not too bad, particularly the 7 marker. Yeah I found c) the hardest, I didn't fully get the first part because the iron sulfide confused me. For cleaning the silver coins the other one I used was soaking them in dilute HCl to remove CaCO3, but for electrolysis I could only remeber the equations for iron not silver.

I also agree that the multiple choice was pretty good. I was really happy with the 7 marker on CO2, because Le Chatlier's principle is one of my strongest areas.
The heat of combustion question was hard, but I think I more or less got there, what did everyone get? I got 88 degrees.
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

phunky

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 01:57:46 pm »
Really happy with how this exam went, I found it sooo much better than physics :)  I got 6.4mg for Q20, 73 degrees for combustion Q, and 0.32M for the industrial chem q, lol I had to use the quadratic formula :0  Did anyone else get those?

chillycharles

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 02:26:26 pm »
Really happy with how this exam went, I found it sooo much better than physics :)  I got 6.4mg for Q20, 73 degrees for combustion Q, and 0.32M for the industrial chem q, lol I had to use the quadratic formula :0  Did anyone else get those?

I think i got what you got for 20, but 88 degrees for combustion
HSC 2018

4 Unit Maths l Advanced English l Chemistry l Physics l Biology

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 02:46:07 pm »
I think i got what you got for 20, but 88 degrees for combustion
Yay same for combustion! I got 12.8 for q20, did I somehow double it?  ???
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

chillycharles

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 02:51:35 pm »
Yay same for combustion! I got 12.8 for q20, did I somehow double it?  ???

you had a 1:2 mole ratio of oxygen to manganese hydroxide or whatever then a 1:2 ratio again between iodine and thiosulphate, that might be where the halving/doubling comes in
HSC 2018

4 Unit Maths l Advanced English l Chemistry l Physics l Biology

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 03:00:12 pm »
you had a 1:2 mole ratio of oxygen to manganese hydroxide or whatever then a 1:2 ratio again between iodine and thiosulphate, that might be where the halving/doubling comes in
Oh yeah I think I only got one of those, don't know how I missed the other  :(

varun.amin

• Adventurer
Class of 2018:
English Advanced (89) | English Extension One (90) | 2U Maths (92) | Maths Extension One (86)  | Chemistry (89) | Economics (90)

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 03:35:26 pm »
Overall was a really awesome exam. I loved the 7 mark question on the equilibrium of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere/oceans, and the 7 mark for industrial was also really good. Haha I also used the quadratic formula for the equilibrium constant one
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 04:03:40 pm »
Overall was a really awesome exam. I loved the 7 mark question on the equilibrium of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere/oceans, and the 7 mark for industrial was also really good. Haha I also used the quadratic formula for the equilibrium constant one
I liked the carbon dioxide seven marker but I stuffed up the industrial chem one.
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics