Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:09:37 am

Author Topic: Chemistry IA3 - Research Assignment  (Read 2944 times)

jewel_14

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Chemistry IA3 - Research Assignment
« on: May 25, 2020, 09:45:18 am »
+1
Are gold nanoparticles more efficient than silver nanoparticles in chemotherapy based on optical absorption, surface area and biocompatibility?

Claim
Metallic nanomaterials have important uses in healthcare

Rationale

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:37:17 pm by j_mudaliar »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Chemistry IA3 - Research Assignment
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 01:18:27 pm »
+1
Hi :)

There's a couple of minor writing style things but I figure this is only a rough draft so I'm not going to focus on those

I like that you've narrowed the scope of your investigation and found a specific research question based on the claim. It looks like a good balance of not being too specific or too broad and gives clear direction which is great!

I think the 2nd part of your rationale should be revised since atm it starts with "The second aspect is which field in the healthcare industry will the use of nanoparticles be investigated." and then seems to be leading towards specifically focusing on cancer before changing tack and concluding "Consequently, in order to determine whether gold nanoparticles are more effective than silver nanoparticles in the healthcare industry, it is vital to understand the various properties of these nanoparticles".

Given your research question, I think it would work better to frame your rationale as being about a) why people care about nanoparticles in healthcare (which you already have the sources for) b) there being important differences in how effective metallic nanoparticles are in healthcare c) why it is those properties you're interested in. It's still good to have the cancer information since that explains why you've specified chemotherapy, just remember that you can't use that to explain other aspects of your research question.

One comment on your research question is that concentration and surface area aren't directly intrinsic to whether it's gold or silver, so it would be good to rephrase or adjust how you present your question to reflect this.

Final comment: make sure you use a consistent referencing style. It's a bit of a pain but they get easier once you get practice in. For example, in text citations are generally the author's last name and the year it was published e.g. (Beyer, 2020).

Overall, it looks like you've set yourself up well for writing the rest of your report

Hope this helps & please feel free to follow up with questions, comments etc. :)

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:22:09 am by Bri MT »