Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:09:58 am

Author Topic: Pre-Selective School Exam Advice  (Read 4724 times)  Share 

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Pre-Selective School Exam Advice
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:18:11 pm »
+1
Given that we have less than 3 days before we sit the test, is there any valuable advice in terms of study, relaxation or general tips that any past test sitters can give for us?

Personally I've been relaxing pretty much for this whole 'pre-exam' period. I don't think cramming and studying hard will serve much use this late in the game.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
Re: Pre-Selective School Exam Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:20:19 pm »
Given that we have less than 3 days before we sit the test, is there any valuable advice in terms of study, relaxation or general tips that any past test sitters can give for us?

Personally I've been relaxing pretty much for this whole 'pre-exam' period. I don't think cramming and studying hard will serve much use this late in the game.

Tbh, I haven’t even studied much for the test, a hour a day for the past month or so is about it. Good luck, what’s ur seat number?

yvngblxd

• Adventurer
  • currently in yr 9
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:32:31 pm »
what test are u guys talking about?

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 06:38:31 pm »
what test are u guys talking about?
The selective entry exam to get admission into schools such as Melbourne High, Macrobertson Girls, Nossal High and Suzanne Cory. The test is this Saturday(year 9 entry), and the test for year 10 entry was today.

cloudyy

• Forum Regular
  • !
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:48 pm »
+1

Hi! Personally at this point, I dont think studying new things will help you much so just go over things you've learnt so far but go memorise some useful vocabs you could use in your writing! Make sure you relax, just don't be too tense but don't go completely off at the same time? Also most people already know this but please, when you're filling out the answer sheet and you don't know the answers to some questions, DONT LEAVE IT BLANK :(((( take a guess and fill it in pleaseplease I've seen people leaving almost half of the answer sheet blank and it kills me :( Hope I see you guys next year in school and everything goes well! good luck <3

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 09:40:02 pm »
+3

Hey, I'm quite new to atart notes, so I'm not even sure where this will go, but I did the selective exam last year but sadly failed cuz I'm dumb aha. But I got some tips. I also did the year 10 entrance exam today and it was surprisingly easier than year 9 for some reason ( but of course me been me had to f it up, smh) . Last year for year 9 entrance, the maths and the numerical was absolute bullshit. The practice exams online were a complete joke compared to the real exam. For the year 10, the maths was quite easy and most people finished.

For the year 10 entrance we got a creative today. I'm not sure if it will be the same for year 9's but I feel that you guys might get a creative too. Idk doe, cuz I'm honestly the last person you should take advice from, ahah but yeh. (Don't trust it, Edu test is unexpected)
Our prompt for today was some pictures of a building and 2 quotes and 1 phrase. I struggled with this tbh. I bet I'll get a below or something.

Anyways one of the main tips I can give you is to seriously control your nerves. Pls, I seriously cannot stress this enough. I totally mucked up my reading comprehension test today because of nerves. When you are nervous you can't comprehend what you are reading. Do not think about other people. Do not even look at other people. I'm serious. I'm saying this from experience, because i looked up and the person next to  me was already finished and it just stressed me out soooo much. I know it's easier said than done but pls find a way somehow.

During the 10 minute planning time, write down all your ideas, arguments, evidence, vocab words that you really want to include in your writing.  You will get 3 A4 pages worth of writing paper and about 1/4 of a page to plan. <------- this is what happened with us today, it could be different for you guys. 

Also, if you guys get a creative. Pls do not do an obvious story. Try writing something sentimental (Examiners love emotional stories) Also if it fits the prompt, try writing in an animals perspective or an object like a pencil. You will score well for creativity as I doubt  many people would do that. Use the prompt metaphorically if you can. But most importantly, do something you are comfortable with.

When there's one day left, pls do not cram anything as this will stress you out more. Read a book or something. Revise lightly but do not do any heavy study. AND make sure to wear gloves or something cuz it's really cold and I couldn't even feel my fingers when i got inside the building last year. Last years creative and persuasive was not that hard. But due to the increase in time, they could possibly make it harder this year. Not sure, but just be prepared for everything.

If you muck up one test. FORGET IT!!!! If it was really hard, most likely other people might have found it difficult too. FOCUS ON YOURSELF AND ONLY YOURSELF DURING THE TEST. Also when they call out 5 minutes, skim through the paper and answer easier questions you see. Last year for the reading comp, there were some of those "choose the option with the correct punctuation" stuff at the back.

The space you have to do the test is quite small so only take out the stuff that is required. Keep in mind some of the staff will go around and place your next test on your desk half way through each test which will limit the space even more.  --- does that even make sense?,  excuse my grammar

I'm really sorry, i bet you guys already know all these stuff and some of these information may not even matter to you. I really hope you guys get in as the school is honestly so beautiful.

Also, this is random  but --- we got the word 'obsequious' for the verbal reasoning test today. AHha, sorry I just wanna be useful smh.

You guys are all capable of passing and i wish you all the best.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:59:37 pm by I don\'t know »

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »
Hey, I'm quite new to atart notes, so I'm not even sure where this will go, but I did the selective exam last year but sadly failed cuz I'm dumb aha. But I got some tips. I also did the year 10 entrance exam today and it was surprisingly easier than year 9 for some reason ( but of course me been me had to f it up, smh) . Last year for year 9 entrance, the maths and the numerical was absolute bullshit. The practice exams online were a complete joke compared to the real exam. For the year 10, the maths was quite easy and most people finished.

For the year 10 entrance we got a creative today. I'm not sure if it will be the same for year 9's but I feel that you guys might get a creative too. Idk doe, cuz I'm honestly the last person you should take advice from, ahah but yeh. (Don't trust it, Edu test is unexpected)
Our prompt for today was some pictures of a building and 2 quotes and 1 phrase. I struggled with this tbh. I bet I'll get a below or something.

Anyways one of the main tips I can give you is to seriously control your nerves. Pls, I seriously cannot stress this enough. I totally mucked up my reading comprehension test today because of nerves. When you are nervous you can't comprehend what you are reading. Do not think about other people. Do not even look at other people. I'm serious. I'm saying this from experience, because i looked up and the person next to  me was already finished and it just stressed me out soooo much. I know it's easier said than done but pls find a way somehow.

During the 10 minute planning time, write down all your ideas, arguments, evidence, vocab words that you really want to include in your writing.  You will get 3 A4 pages worth of writing paper and about 1/4 of a page to plan. <------- this is what happened with us today, it could be different for you guys. 

Also, if you guys get a creative. Pls do not do an obvious story. Try writing something sentimental (Examiners love emotional stories) Also if it fits the prompt, try writing in an animals perspective or an object like a pencil. You will score well for creativity as I doubt  many people would do that. Use the prompt metaphorically if you can. But most importantly, do something you are comfortable with.

When there's one day left, pls do not cram anything as this will stress you out more. Read a book or something. Revise lightly but do not do any heavy study. AND make sure to wear gloves or something cuz it's really cold and I couldn't even feel my fingers when i got inside the building last year. Last years creative and persuasive was not that hard. But due to the increase in time, they could possibly make it harder this year. Not sure, but just be prepared for everything.

If you muck up one test. FORGET IT!!!! If it was really hard, most likely other people might have found it difficult too. FOCUS ON YOURSELF AND ONLY YOURSELF DURING THE TEST. Also when they call out 5 minutes, skim through the paper and answer easier questions you see. Last year for the reading comp, there were some of those "choose the option with the correct punctuation" stuff at the back.

The space you have to do the test is quite small so only take out the stuff that is required. Keep in mind examiners will go around and place your next test on your desk half way through each test which will limit the space even more.

I'm really sorry, i bet you guys already know all these stuff. (Also excuse my grammar) and some of these information may not even matter to you. I really hope you guys get in as the school is honestly so beautiful.

Also, this is random  but --- we got the word 'obsequious' for the verbal reasoning test today. AHha, sorry I just wanna be useful smh.

You guys are all capable of passing and i wish you all the best.
Creative? Holy shit I was taking a gamble and wanted it to be persuasive as I’m good at that lol, thanks for the tips and hope u get in!! Also, how much paper did we get for working out in maths? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:59:17 pm by ProbotMelbourne »

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 10:05:25 pm »
Creative? Holy shit I was taking a gamble and wanted it to be persuasive as I’m good at that lol, thanks for the tips and hope u get in!! Also, how much paper did we get for working out in maths? Thanks!

AYY MAN OMG. I'm not 100% sure if it will be creative for you guys doe. I'm really not certain, cuz creative is just what the year 10 entrance people got, it could be different for you. You actually do not get any working out paper and you have to use the back of your answer sheet. I know it's a pain. You are obviously not allowed to write in the booklet or on the front of the answer sheet. Make sure you use the back of the answer sheet wisely, cuz you will have to rub out some of your working out if you run out of space which will cost valuable time. Split the page into sections and work downwards or something.  AHA nah man, I dont stand a chance in getting in. Year 10 entrance is hella competitive as more than 100 kids are competing for 2 or 3 spots. Thas why you should do you damn best to get in through year 9 entrance as the intake is pretty big. Thanks doe. Best wishes

Are alot of people trying out from your school? Also, if you have any other questions pls ask, even though I was not successful in getting in, I'll see if I can help.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:23:55 pm by I don\'t know »

Rawwggzz123

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:31 pm »
AYY MAN OMG. I'm not 100% sure if it will be creative for you guys doe. I'm really not certain, cuz creative is just what the year 10 entrance people got, it could be different for you. You actually do not get any working out paper and you have to use the back of your answer sheet. I know it's a pain. You are obviously not allowed to write in the booklet or on the front of the answer sheet. Make sure you use the back of the answer sheet wisely, cuz you will have to rub out some of your working out if you run out of space which will cost valuable time. Split the page into sections and work downwards or something.  AHA nah man, I dont stand a chance in getting in. Year 10 entrance is hella competitive as more than 100 kids are competing for 2 or 3 spots. Thas why you should do you damn best to get in through year 9 entrance as the intake is pretty big. Thanks doe. Best wishes

Are alot of people trying out from your school? Also, if you have any other questions pls ask, even though I was not successful in getting in, I'll see if I can help.
im pretty sure the year 10 entrance exam had like 200 kids competing for like 30 spots

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 08:30:31 am »

If 4 people r trying from my class, I suppose a lot are trying from my school lol. Hope you get in! I’ll hop on here if I have more questions, thanks.

Rocket Boy1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 08:41:56 am »
Do you remember any other words from verbal.
And what was the phrases and the quote for creative

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 09:17:18 am »
Do you remember the kind of questions in numerical reasoning and maths. For comp was the passage long. BTW i am trying out for nossal

cheers

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 12:29:25 pm »
im pretty sure the year 10 entrance exam had like 200 kids competing for like 30 spots

Nah they said that it depends on the available vacancies. If no one moves from the year 9 class then no one will get in. I think minimum 28 people get in to Melbourne high but thats just Melbourne high and macrob. Nossal doesn't follow those rules. NOT sure doe, you could be right.

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 04:11:43 pm »
Do you remember the kind of questions in numerical reasoning and maths. For comp was the passage long. BTW i am trying out for nossal

cheers
Ummm, for numerical there was alot of patterns and algebra word problems. Tbh the year 10 numerical reasoning was way easier than the year 9 entrance one for us. Maths, i remember there was this question which asked you to find the distance between two points. So i say its best to learn the distance formula, midpoint formula and all that real quick. As I mentioned before, Maths was quite difficult for us last year but not sure  how it will be for you guys. Honestly, the type of questions you'll get for numerical is quite unexpected. For the Maths paper, i remember just having some simple multiplying 3 fractions and just some basic algebra questions on the first page but it got way harder by each question. Just be confident with factorizing, expanding, doing simultaneous equations and all that.

For numerical, there will be some really huge and time consuming questions in the middle of the paper that you might know how to do. But honestly, if it takes you more than a minute, just move on. I remember spending more than 2 minutes on this one question last year and ended up not even getting an answer similar to the given answers. smh I honeslty can't help you much with these type of tests, cuz its really unexpected. Just quickly do some speed, distance and time worded problems and some patterns.
Maybe just try some of these. I dont know doe. sorryy.
http://www.lofoya.com/Aptitude-Questions-and-Answers/Time-Speed-and-Distance/l1p1

Make sure you know how to work with ratios and probability. I can guarantee you that there will be a probability question in numerical reasoning. Probability was an absolute dick to me, never understood it, sigh

Also remember, time management is vital for exams like these.
For the reading comp, there weren't any really big passages, surprisingly. There was like one i think, but most of the passages were short, but it took me time to understand everything(probably because I'm dumb as shit) I dont really remember much cuz its almost been a year but yeh. Sorry, I wasn't much help but just be as calm as you can be cuz nerves will seriously impact your results,  you'll be fine.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:31:54 pm by I don\'t know »

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 04:51:16 pm »
For numerical are their questions like 2 cars are going which time would they meet at the same place like speed Ditance time questions