Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:28:31 pm

Author Topic: What do you have in YOUR resume / CV ?  (Read 2668 times)  Share 

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
What do you have in YOUR resume / CV ?
« on: November 01, 2018, 08:22:13 pm »
+3
Hi, as mentioned above, I am interested to hear from you guys what you have included in your resume or CV.

I am in the process of sprucing my resume up a bit, and it kinda really seems unprofessional atm. Hoping to find some ways where I can cull out the cheesiness and add things that will make it more smick.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: What do you have in YOUR resume / CV ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »
+4
Hi, as mentioned above, I am interested to hear from you guys what you have included in your resume or CV.

I am in the process of sprucing my resume up a bit, and it kinda really seems unprofessional atm. Hoping to find some ways where I can cull out the cheesiness and add things that will make it more smick.  :)
You might like to read this https://www.reddit.com/r/jobs/comments/7y8k6p/im_an_exrecruiter_for_some_of_the_top_companies/
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 08:31:56 pm »
+4
General overview of my resume - I keep it simple and straight to the point:

- Personal info (name, address, phone number, email, VIT/registration status (profession-specific))
- Education/qualifications
- Work experience (paid work)
- Teaching placements (as i'm still technically a graduate teacher I include these, over time as I have gained more experience teaching full time, the placement dot points have slowly decreased as they become less relevant)
- References

That's literally it. You can also include professional skills / proficiencies, volunteering... but the really important thing here is to a) bullet point, and b) keep it simple.

I like to use tables in my resume and then colour out the borders - it gives it structure, especially when you convert it to a PDF. It doesn't look like a table is there at all. :)

If you don't intend on converting to a PDF file, ensure that you use a globally-accessible font such as Times New Roman or Arial. The last thing you need is for a recruiter to open up your document and all the alignment and layout is screwed up because the font you chose isn't recognised by their word processor. Even some word processors still don't recognise Calibri (the default in MS Office 2013-2016), so its best to avoid that where possible. Size 11-12 is usually what most are after. Don't paint a rainbow on your CV - meaning don't use any colour other than black. Headers/section titles should be clear and big enough to be interpreted as a title/heading.

and last but not least, spellcheck/grammar and consistency. If one section is double spaced, then the rest should be double spaced as well. If you use Arial, use Arial all the way throughout as your font... things like that.

A CV/resume is designed to be a snapshot of you, your history and your achievements. It really shouldn't be longer than 3 pages unless you've had so much experience that it's warranted and you can't condense it down anymore. I know its actually quite difficult to sum up all achievements etc into a few dot points but it's just something you'll get better with over time. Think about the item you're putting down - whether that be existing work, education etc... what could be 3 or 4 major achievements/things that best sum up that experience?

From a schooling perspective, here are a few ideas:
* School captain - demonstrated leadership?
* Volunteered to assist students as part of the school's homework club
* Co-curricular sport, teamwork/working with others
* School production

??? Idk, i'm just thinking off the top of my head. It has to be unique to you and highlight your key achievements (what ones are the most important/represent you)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:56:39 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

English101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 08:40:33 pm »
Soft skills.

I cannot emphasis the importance of having well-equied soft skills. For example, adapting to certain situtation, coherent communication (good English), initiative is super important.

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 09:04:41 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice so far, its been super helpful!

Should I include an objective (currently have something similar atm, but is basically a lame description of myself) ?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:59 pm »
What is the job you're applying for? Like christmas casual retail? or..?
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 09:11:30 pm »
What is the job you're applying for? Like christmas casual retail? or..?

Yeah, a few different retail / hospitality jobs.

derpson

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 02:14:15 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice so far, its been super helpful!

Should I include an objective (currently have something similar atm, but is basically a lame description of myself) ?

Imo, no. Without much experience (which I assume is your case?), objective statements are pretty much unsubstantiated fluff and wasted resume real estate that could be better spent elsewhere. Just jump straight into your selling points, whether that be your skills, experience or education. You want to make the top third of your resume and first impression count.