Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:20:02 am

Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about investing?  (Read 1093 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Does anyone know anything about investing?
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:12:33 pm »
+7
(I didn't really want to throw this thread into the OGD but I couldn't find any specific thread for monetary matters so I just decided to post here. Feel free to move if necessary.)

So basically I'm saving up, or I'd like to think I am. I have an undisclosed amount of money, and it's definitely not enough to get me a property (as much as I would like one to invest in). I have a cute $200 weekly wage at time of post, and I'm already investing in cash (i.e. picking up bank interest).
Disclaimer: My wage isn't really a secret; it's available on the UNSW maths website

Rule of investing: Never let too much money sit around doing nothing (i.e. bank it). But don't expect the bank to pay much.

So the question basically is, what should I look into? Bonds are typically something people put in the middle of property and cash. Apparently they're kinda shit these days though... and I guess yeah I could do term deposits. (I guess, I want my money to be accessible in an emergency, which is why I wanna avoid term deposits. But I'll still be happy if they're the best option rn.)

I also don't really know what funds are...? One of my mates did recommend me Vanguard funds but idk how to read them. (Like I sorta know how to read bond indexes thanks to actuarial studies, but I don't even know the difference between bonds and funds)

Without (hopefully) having to disclose too much personal info, I was wondering if any older people (or young networking idols, whatever) have any suggestions for me?

Chelsea f.c.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Does anyone know anything about investing?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:09:15 pm »
+2
Finally I can put my finance to positive use... vanguard good because passive fund but need at least 5000 for most mutual funds this can be offset if you wanted to buy etfs on online brokerage which are favoured by lecturers plus bonds etf... but word of caution investing is for long term not only will you lose money if you trade instantly via bid ask spread but you have to wear risk of downturn where growth is a long term phenomena... my advice is pay super as tax advantage and access to a balanced portfolio if you have spare cash invest in term deposits as relatively less liquid so get premium... and If you have more than that you'd need to do research (msci global etf...)... but maybe when you get a wage think about it =)

(i did a stats degree and it's useful for finance - if you have time Google Jim Simons for a combination of the two)

Also seriously reading more if you think a 6 month horizon is too far e.g. term deposit market more like 10 or preferably 50 years! As per buffet invest in stock as in long run better off =)

Mod edit: Merged posts. Refrain from double posting please :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:20:02 pm by beatroot »
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) Finance - UoM - 2019
Bachelor of Commerce - Economics and Finance - UoM - 2015 - 2018
Diploma in Mathematical Sciences - Statistics and Stochastic Processes - UoM - 2015 - 2018