Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:41:49 am

Author Topic: ATAR/Scaling Questions  (Read 143207 times)  Share 

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: ATAR/Scaling Questions
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2018, 09:37:08 am »
It's because the English final exams aggregate to a total of 105, whereas the mark you're reported is always out of 100

Ah, ok... That makes sense...
(Only just worked out that paper 2 is out of 60 marks haha  ;D)
Thanks so much!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2018, 03:12:44 pm »
I always believed that my HSC Mark for a subject would be made up of an average between my internal assessment Marks and my HSC Mark for that subject.

I have recently been told that the HSC doesn't take into account what your internal assessment Mark was, they only want the distance between the ranks. So my HSC Mark for a subject will be made up of a moderation of the mark then I received in the actual HSC test, with no input from my internal assessment Mark

Is this true?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:05 pm »
+1
I always believed that my HSC Mark for a subject would be made up of an average between my internal assessment Marks and my HSC Mark for that subject.

I have recently been told that the HSC doesn't take into account what your internal assessment Mark was, they only want the distance between the ranks. So my HSC Mark for a subject will be made up of a moderation of the mark then I received in the actual HSC test, with no input from my internal assessment Mark

Is this true?

Yes it is (essentially) - So the internal marks matter, but yeah, only in the sense that they establish rank and relative difference ;D

This guide explains it in detail! :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2018, 05:45:00 pm »
Hey!

Such a random question but is is possible to get a 99 ATAR without a Band 6 in English????
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2018, 05:47:28 pm »
+1
Hey!

Such a random question but is is possible to get a 99 ATAR without a Band 6 in English????

Hey! Random questions are the best ones ;D yes, it absolutely is - But you'll need some stellar results elsewhere to make up the difference :)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2018, 05:55:59 pm »
+1
Hey!

As jamon has already said, yes! My friend got 84 for English (Advanced) but band 6's everywhere else and he ended up with an ATAR of 99.60. So even if English isn't your strong suit, then you're gonna need those top marks in your other subjects to pull you up :)

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
Yes it is (essentially) - So the internal marks matter, but yeah, only in the sense that they establish rank and relative difference ;D

This guide explains it in detail! :)

Thank you!!

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2018, 11:39:16 pm »
Do the HSC moderating wizards align our marks with our ranks for Major Work based subjects such as English Extension 2?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:33 pm »
+2
Do the HSC moderating wizards align our marks with our ranks for Major Work based subjects such as English Extension 2?

Indeed they do! The 'exam' marks just come from the major work and reflection statement instead of an actual examination ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2018, 10:44:56 pm »
Hello!

I am back with another random question, really says something about how my brain works late at night :)

This is literally out of pure curiosity, but someone who came first in the course, would their internal mark have to match their external mark? Eg. they get 98 for internal and external.
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2018, 11:27:41 pm »
+1
Hello!

I am back with another random question, really says something about how my brain works late at night :)

This is literally out of pure curiosity, but someone who came first in the course, would their internal mark have to match their external mark? Eg. they get 98 for internal and external.

Assuming they also get the highest mark in the exam, yes it would! They get moderated to the highest mark, so if that is also their exam mark then the two would be identical ;D

chemstries

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »
Hey,

So trials are coming up next term week 3.
Currently my ranks +average marks
ADV English ( 58/88)- 70%  really bad
Maths (  28/57) - 75%
Biology ( 27/55) - 70%
Chemistry is really bad ( 20/28) - 65%
PDHPE 11/25 - 80%
Religion (41/ 85) - 80%

My atar aim is around 95 but I'm happy with above 90 ( my school is in the top 100). If I can boost my marks to above 90-95% in my trials ( I've collated all my mistakes and feedback from previous assessments) would it boost up my ranks aswell? If someone can spare some time to give advice on spacing out prep for my subjects and the main tasks to focus for core subjects like english and math, that would be great ( pls be brutally honest if you have to)
Cheers

jessica mo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2018, 10:48:52 pm »
What if in a small class of 9 there are 2-4 students that are scoring less than 30 % for their exams and assessments and the top 4 get like 70-75 % for exams and assessments. How would those students that are failing affect and moderate my marks and the top peoples' marks?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2018, 10:55:26 pm »

Hey,

So trials are coming up next term week 3.
Currently my ranks +average marks
ADV English ( 58/88)- 70%  really bad
Maths (  28/57) - 75%
Biology ( 27/55) - 70%
Chemistry is really bad ( 20/28) - 65%
PDHPE 11/25 - 80%
Religion (41/ 85) - 80%

My atar aim is around 95 but I'm happy with above 90 ( my school is in the top 100). If I can boost my marks to above 90-95% in my trials ( I've collated all my mistakes and feedback from previous assessments) would it boost up my ranks aswell? If someone can spare some time to give advice on spacing out prep for my subjects and the main tasks to focus for core subjects like english and math, that would be great ( pls be brutally honest if you have to)
Cheers

Hey! Some results like that for Trials would certainly boost your ranks (unless you think everyone is going to be getting 100% around you). Any strong result is going to be helpful, and certainly set you in good stead to achieve your ATAR goal.

In terms of prep, I think the key is to be organised. Nothing fancy, just make sure you’ve got time for working on all your subjects, allocate the hours at the start of the week (or whatever), and go to town. Focus on your weaknesses identified from previous tasks, make sure you don’t lose marks there again

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2018, 10:59:10 pm »

What if in a small class of 9 there are 2-4 students that are scoring less than 30 % for their exams and assessments and the top 4 get like 70-75 % for exams and assessments. How would those students that are failing affect and moderate my marks and the top peoples' marks?

The same process would apply, but if that Top 4 people also got the highest exam marks, chances are the lower group wouldn’t affect them too much. Those in that Top 4 would sort of moderate with each other. Remember that the relative differences stay the same through moderation, so the Top 4 are likely to stay far ahead of the bottom 4