Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:13:14 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 570464 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2070 on: October 21, 2018, 01:26:02 pm »
+1
Hiii does anyone know any cases for crime that cover multiple dot points?

The cases in these notes are pretty versatile! ;D

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2071 on: October 21, 2018, 02:13:25 pm »
Hey guys,

I have a few last minute legal essay qs:

1. Do we need to define key words ofthe essay q? I've actually asked this before, so i'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, but in our exam feedback our teacher really emphasised that we needed to define 'discretion' in our introduction. I've heard that definitions aren't necessary, and i would prefer not having to remember extra stuff (i do understand the concept, i just find it difficult to explain it in technical wording straight off of my head). Do HSC markers have a preference?

2. Do we need to state the section of the act/treaty? Our just know the name of the act is fine? Same thing with the above, my teacher said we should remember the parts and subsections, but it seems incredibly difficult to memorise all of them.

3. For family law, i feel like there's a lot of overlap between care and protection of children and responsibilities of parents. If we were to discuss those two in an essay, should paragraphs be clearly defined on which topic is being discussed, or can we discuss them together? Also, since CROC is important, should it have a paragraph for itself, or just weave it throughout the essay when i discuss aus legislation?

4. Can we discuss law reform exensively, if the question isn't a law reform question?

Thank you!!!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2072 on: October 21, 2018, 02:34:01 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

I have a few last minute legal essay qs:

1. Do we need to define key words ofthe essay q? I've actually asked this before, so i'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, but in our exam feedback our teacher really emphasised that we needed to define 'discretion' in our introduction. I've heard that definitions aren't necessary, and i would prefer not having to remember extra stuff (i do understand the concept, i just find it difficult to explain it in technical wording straight off of my head). Do HSC markers have a preference?

2. Do we need to state the section of the act/treaty? Our just know the name of the act is fine? Same thing with the above, my teacher said we should remember the parts and subsections, but it seems incredibly difficult to memorise all of them.

3. For family law, i feel like there's a lot of overlap between care and protection of children and responsibilities of parents. If we were to discuss those two in an essay, should paragraphs be clearly defined on which topic is being discussed, or can we discuss them together? Also, since CROC is important, should it have a paragraph for itself, or just weave it throughout the essay when i discuss aus legislation?

4. Can we discuss law reform extensively, if the question isn't a law reform question?

Thank you!!!

Hi!

All good -- we're here to answer your questions, and happy to do so :-)

1. Nope! Don't waste your time writing something the marker already knows.
2. Nope, just the name is fine.
3. I didn't study Family, but I think you can discuss them together depending on the question. With CROC, if it suits the question you can dedicate an entire paragraph to it but you can integrate it throughout your essay if you like. It's really up to you :-)
4. Not extensively, but you can mention it throughout your essay if you like.

Hope this helps, best of luck for tomorrow!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

bdobrin

• Adventurer
« Reply #2073 on: October 21, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you had any predictions for the questions for crime, consumers or world order

Thanks

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2074 on: October 21, 2018, 03:03:27 pm »
Hi!

All good -- we're here to answer your questions, and happy to do so :-)

1. Nope! Don't waste your time writing something the marker already knows.
2. Nope, just the name is fine.
3. I didn't study Family, but I think you can discuss them together depending on the question. With CROC, if it suits the question you can dedicate an entire paragraph to it but you can integrate it throughout your essay if you like. It's really up to you :-)
4. Not extensively, but you can mention it throughout your essay if you like.

Hope this helps, best of luck for tomorrow!!

Thank you for your help!  :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2075 on: October 21, 2018, 05:13:14 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you had any predictions for the questions for crime, consumers or world order

Thanks
Hey,
For crime, Jamon thinks that it may be on defences or law reform. For consumers, my class predicted product certification or technology last year (and those weren't asked). Not too sure about world order though.

Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

hilaryl

• Adventurer
« Reply #2076 on: October 21, 2018, 10:01:35 pm »
hey, does anyone have predictions on the family option essay?

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2077 on: October 22, 2018, 01:09:41 pm »
Everyone was wrong about predictions it was discreation dam luckily I prepared essay plans for my response police and judicial have some what effective in achieving justice in the criminal system
WHO DID WHAT I DID ON SOMEWHAT EFFECTIVE OR POSITVE
ALSO I wrote that police abuse their power for example illegal arrest in Western Australia on Australian indigenous young males etc and I use lepar 2002and evidence act but forgot the year for evidence act IF I FORGOT TO PUT THE YEAR IN THE ACTS WILL I LOSE MARKS
ALSO I WROTE 5 pages
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:12:32 pm by moq418 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2078 on: October 22, 2018, 02:16:38 pm »
+1
Everyone was wrong about predictions it was discreation dam luckily I prepared essay plans for my response police and judicial have some what effective in achieving justice in the criminal system
WHO DID WHAT I DID ON SOMEWHAT EFFECTIVE OR POSITVE
ALSO I wrote that police abuse their power for example illegal arrest in Western Australia on Australian indigenous young males etc and I use lepar 2002and evidence act but forgot the year for evidence act IF I FORGOT TO PUT THE YEAR IN THE ACTS WILL I LOSE MARKS
ALSO I WROTE 5 pages

Hi!

Don’t stress too much about the exam - it’s over and done with!

You won’t lose marks for not including the year in the acts - don’t sweat it. :-)

Best of luck for the rest of your HSC!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Hatem

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2079 on: October 22, 2018, 02:40:07 pm »
My internal legal mark is currently at 87, what mark would I have to get in the exam to achieve a band 6?

Thanks

steveb013

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2080 on: October 22, 2018, 02:56:46 pm »
Your internal mark means nothing. Your rank is the important thing.

A raw mark of around 82% in the exam would be a Band 6.

jemmanewton

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2081 on: January 10, 2019, 07:11:56 pm »
Hey Elyse,

I was just wondering if there is a difference between independent authorities and statutory authorities in Human Rights.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2082 on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:37 pm »
+2
Hey Elyse,

I was just wondering if there is a difference between independent authorities and statutory authorities in Human Rights.

Welcome to the forums Jemma! There definitely is - Statutory authorities are ones set up by statutes/laws, such as the Australian Human Rights Commission. Independent authorities, I guess, would just be any sort of body that isn't set up by a statute, which there are many of in the area of HR :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #2083 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:52 pm »
+3
Hey Elyse,

Hey!

Just adding onto Jamon, I think maybe you're getting confused (but definitely someone quote me if I am wrong) but I think in the syllabus it's actually just 'independent statutory authority'. I think the syllabus has made a typo and put an extra dot point on statutory authority which makes it look like its own dot point but, Question 21 from the 2015 HSC exam validates that it is just 'independent statutory authority'.

As for examples, the Australian Human Rights Commission is a great one as well as the Human Rights Committee and the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. The latter two monitor the compliance of the ICCPR 1966 and ICESCR 1966 respectively. ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2084 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:54 pm »
+2
Hey!

Just adding onto Jamon, I think maybe you're getting confused (but definitely someone quote me if I am wrong) but I think in the syllabus it's actually just 'independent statutory authority'. I think the syllabus has made a typo and put an extra dot point on statutory authority which makes it look like its own dot point but, Question 21 from the 2015 HSC exam validates that it is just 'independent statutory authority'.

As for examples, the Australian Human Rights Commission is a great one as well as the Human Rights Committee and the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. The latter two monitor the compliance of the ICCPR 1966 and ICESCR 1966 respectively. ;D

Too right, thanks Emily ;D note that the independent bit of independent statutory authority is to signify that they act independently of the legislature - A bit like the checks and balances system you talk about in the separation of powers doctrine ;D