Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:28 pm

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1230228 times)  Share 

imtrying

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #600 on: August 19, 2016, 09:01:45 pm »
Hey! I need a hand with this binomial theorem question (its 11f from the 2012 Ext1 HSC:
I have done part i) with no issues, the answer is -1760, its just part ii) I'm really stuck on.
Thanks, this website is saving my HSC :)
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #601 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:30 pm »
+2
Hey! I need a hand with this binomial theorem question (its 11f from the 2012 Ext1 HSC:
I have done part i) with no issues, the answer is -1760, its just part ii) I'm really stuck on.
Thanks, this website is saving my HSC :)

Hey! I'm glad you're finding Atar Notes useful! I certainly wish I had it in my HSC.

For a question like this, you sort of just brute force your way through until something nice pops out. See my working below!

ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

imtrying

• Trendsetter
« Reply #602 on: August 19, 2016, 09:28:33 pm »
+1
Thank you!
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #603 on: August 20, 2016, 09:46:42 pm »
At this point, you need to read the textbook and make sure you understand what inverse sine is.

I'm sorry to say this, but this is because your answer is wrong for a foundation level question.

(In particular, the domain)

Also, the derivative is also in the textbook

I got it now

Anyways the question was let f(x)=sin^-1 x

Following up on that question, the questions were

c. Is f'(x) undefined at x=1 and x=-1. Deduce the tangents to the curve at these points
d. Show that the line y=x is a tangent to the curve y=f(x) at (0,0)

Could someone here please give me hints

Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #604 on: August 20, 2016, 09:50:40 pm »
+1
I got it now

Anyways the question was let f(x)=sin^-1 x

Following up on that question, the questions were

c. Is f'(x) undefined at x=1 and x=-1. Deduce the tangents to the curve at these points
d. Show that the line y=x is a tangent to the curve y=f(x) at (0,0)

Could someone here please give me hints

Thanks
Two ways to analyse c), both of which lead to the answer "no".

d) is just your ordinary 2U find the equation of the tangent to y=... at (point, point) just with sine inverse

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #605 on: August 21, 2016, 12:23:12 am »
+1

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #606 on: August 21, 2016, 02:46:36 pm »
+1
Lol'ed ;D
The ∞th commandment:

Thou shall not divide by zero.

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #607 on: August 21, 2016, 11:42:41 pm »
I was wondering is there a way to always be able to graph an exponential function and finding the exponential equation from the graph?

I am really struggling with exponential graphs in terms of drawing them gievn the equation and being unable to find the equation given the graph. The tranformations that can be possible are also being quite an obstacle for me. Please help  :'(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #608 on: August 22, 2016, 09:52:51 am »
+1
I was wondering is there a way to always be able to graph an exponential function and finding the exponential equation from the graph?

I am really struggling with exponential graphs in terms of drawing them gievn the equation and being unable to find the equation given the graph. The tranformations that can be possible are also being quite an obstacle for me. Please help  :'(

Perhaps a set of rough rules will help!!

Consider the general form of an exponential function:

(Note that it doesn't have to be the with an 'e', any number works fine, though if you have a negative number there you'll need to adjust this a little the base won't be - this requires complex analysis)

- Higher values of A stretches the curve in the vertical direction. Really, the noticeable impact is that A is the y-intercept, but only if there is no constant C added to the exponent
- Higher values of B means the exponent will increase at a faster rate, the right hand side of the exponential will increase its slope noticeably
- C causes a horizontal shift to the left (for positive values) or right (for negative values)
- D causes a vertical shift upwards (positive values) or downwards (negative values)

These rules might seem very wish-washy, and that's because they are, they should only be a rough guide. You aim should be to gradually develop an intuition for what the different parts of the exponential do. Have a play with sketching different functions on Desmos or something similar, and try to notice the patterns in what you see, that is the best way to develop that intuition ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:20:30 am by RuiAce »

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #609 on: August 22, 2016, 09:39:45 pm »
Thank you
I was also wondering how would you evalulate it as a single power and evaulate. Also does evaluate simply mean solve?

Perhaps a set of rough rules will help!!

Consider the general form of an exponential function:

(Note that it doesn't have to be the with an 'e', any number works fine, though if you have a negative number there you'll need to adjust this a little the base won't be - this requires complex analysis)

- Higher values of A stretches the curve in the vertical direction. Really, the noticeable impact is that A is the y-intercept, but only if there is no constant C added to the exponent
- Higher values of B means the exponent will increase at a faster rate, the right hand side of the exponential will increase its slope noticeably
- C causes a horizontal shift to the left (for positive values) or right (for negative values)
- D causes a vertical shift upwards (positive values) or downwards (negative values)

These rules might seem very wish-washy, and that's because they are, they should only be a rough guide. You aim should be to gradually develop an intuition for what the different parts of the exponential do. Have a play with sketching different functions on Desmos or something similar, and try to notice the patterns in what you see, that is the best way to develop that intuition ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #610 on: August 22, 2016, 09:45:55 pm »
Thank you
I was also wondering how would you evalulate it as a single power and evaulate. Also does evaluate simply mean solve?

Note: This question belongs to the 2U section as nothing more is demanded on top of the index laws.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:47:37 pm by RuiAce »

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #611 on: August 22, 2016, 10:01:57 pm »
Thank you rui ace
I also tried these questions but i am not getting the right answers. I got 2+25 for a

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #612 on: August 22, 2016, 10:08:26 pm »
Thank you rui ace
I also tried these questions but i am not getting the right answers. I got 2+25 for a

For a) you should get 2 + 125. You've correctly square rooted the 4, but after you square root the 25 (to get 5) you need to put it to the power of 3 (resulting in 125).

For b) you can use indices laws to multiply the indices in brackets, then convert to 9 to 3^2. Then, you can add powers when multiplying with the same base
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #613 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:11 pm »
For the answer for a the sheet says its 2/125? Im still a bit confused for b i got (5^2 -3^4)÷ 3^1
For a) you should get 2 + 125. You've correctly square rooted the 4, but after you square root the 25 (to get 5) you need to put it to the power of 3 (resulting in 125).

For b) you can use indices laws to multiply the indices in brackets, then convert to 9 to 3^2. Then, you can add powers when multiplying with the same base

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #614 on: August 22, 2016, 10:37:20 pm »
+1
For the answer for a the sheet says its 2/125? Im still a bit confused for b i got (5^2 -3^4)÷ 3^1

The answer is definitely wrong there, unless the question is ;D

For B, you are close! Just that 3^1 should only be dividing the 6^4, the 5^2 is unaffected (remember your order of operations) ;D