Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:51:41 pm

Author Topic: Didn't get into law  (Read 1966 times)  Share 

tarikduh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Didn't get into law
« on: January 18, 2017, 06:26:22 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm new here so sorry if this is wrong section. I got accepted for bachelor of criminal and community justice at WSU however had my heart set on a double degree of laws as well. Unfortunately after the main rounds I didn't get the combined degree of laws and criminal and community justice as I got a very low atar.

What are my options now? Am I going to be able to do law once I start my course at uni and say I want to? Should I write them a letter maybe? I've honestly worked so hard for it and gotten such a poor result and was struggling while doing my HSC. Any advice on what to do and whether I should just enrol into my bachelor of cacj? And what to do to get the combined degree with laws???

Thanks! :(

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: Didn't get into law
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:46:05 pm »
Hey there, welcome to the forums!

I'll start of by saying that I'm not an expert with regards to the HSC and NSW universities. Nevertheless, I am basically certain that you will have internal transfer opportunities once you start your degree. In this sense, you can start your course of criminal and community justice, and the following year (provided that you have good marks) you should be able to transfer across to the double degree.

I'll also say that whilst your disappointment is completely justified and normal, try not to let it upset you too much, as there are many, many different opportunities and pathways available for you :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:36 pm »
+1
Welcome to the forums tarikduh!

So basically I'll just echo/confirm Glasses. You can definitely transfer internally to that double degree; a heap of people transfer into Law degrees internally. You are never completely locked out of studying what you're passionate about. So don't be too discouraged that things didn't quite go your way last year - If you stay driven and work hard you will still get where you want to be! :)

Unfortunately writing a letter isn't going to achieve much - These universities deal with so many applicants it just isn't going to have an effect. Here's what I think you should do:

- Enrol in that Bachelor of Community and Criminal Justice, assuming it is something that interests you!
- Keep the double degree at the top of your preference list and keep an eye on subsequent offers - I don't know your results, but you might get an offer to it in a later round! Then if you do you just cancel your enrolment in the first degree and pick up the double.

Keep your chin up - Hard work gets places, even if it isn't the way you expect :)

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »
+1
Welcome to the forums tarikduh!

So basically I'll just echo/confirm Glasses. You can definitely transfer internally to that double degree; a heap of people transfer into Law degrees internally. You are never completely locked out of studying what you're passionate about. So don't be too discouraged that things didn't quite go your way last year - If you stay driven and work hard you will still get where you want to be! :)

Unfortunately writing a letter isn't going to achieve much - These universities deal with so many applicants it just isn't going to have an effect. Here's what I think you should do:

- Enrol in that Bachelor of Community and Criminal Justice, assuming it is something that interests you!
- Keep the double degree at the top of your preference list and keep an eye on subsequent offers - I don't know your results, but you might get an offer to it in a later round! Then if you do you just cancel your enrolment in the first degree and pick up the double.

Keep your chin up - Hard work gets places, even if it isn't the way you expect :)
Second this sentiment fully!
2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"