Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:55:43 pm

Author Topic: Should I feel bad for receiving bad marks?  (Read 3288 times)

ConFinCMC

• Trailblazer
Should I feel bad for receiving bad marks?
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:45:47 pm »
Hi, so I didn't receive very good marks, and wasn't able to qualify for many of my preferences in university, and I feel like I should have done better throughout the year, but for some reason, I just don't feel regretful, disappointed or in anyway, shape or form negative about how I did.

I almost feel glad that I got lower marks, possibly because I know now that I can do better, plus I don't have this great expectation from family, friends and past teachers to do as well. Has anyone else received lower marks than expected and felt similar? Should I feel this way? Am I right for thinking that this is a suitable reaction to my results?
2020- 53.35

English Lang. <20
History: Revolutions. <20
French: 27
Biology: 28
Drama: 24

"Well, it doesn't define who I am, but it does a bloody good job at crushing my spirit and self-esteem"

2021- Gap Year, working in Bright at the snowfields (guys, this is so much fun)

2022- Fed University, Fast Access Program Diploma

If anyone wants advice on what NOT to do, feel free to send me a message.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: Should I feel bad for receiving bad marks?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 10:04:06 pm »
If you're happy with what you received, that's all that matters. Stuff what anyone else thinks, honestly.

I've worked with quite a number of students in a similar position and I think it's going to be a fantastic success story if you can get through (according to your sig) the diploma and then manage to get degree qualified in the end. Power to you tbh. It's never too late to make changes - I personally got an average score myself when I did VCE. It wasn't until I went onto do university that my entire attitude and achievement changed. Anecdotal I know, but it's just proof that it is possible.

Your score actually isn't overly terrible when the broader VCE community is taken into account. The AN community is quite skewed in terms of study scores and achievement in a general sense (towards the high-er end). Sure, your <20's are not fantastic but I think this can turn into a positive purely by stating you actually finished the year, got a study score and managed to get out the other side of it in a year like no other. Sometimes it's the little things.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:10:07 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

ConFinCMC

• Trailblazer
Re: Should I feel bad for receiving bad marks?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 10:39:27 pm »
If you're happy with what you received, that's all that matters. Stuff what anyone else thinks, honestly.

I've worked with quite a number of students in a similar position and I think it's going to be a fantastic success story if you can get through (according to your sig) the diploma and then manage to get degree qualified in the end. Power to you tbh. It's never too late to make changes - I personally got an average score myself when I did VCE. It wasn't until I went onto do university that my entire attitude and achievement changed. Anecdotal I know, but it's just proof that it is possible.

Your score actually isn't overly terrible when the broader VCE community is taken into account. The AN community is quite skewed in terms of study scores and achievement in a general sense (towards the high-er end). Sure, your <20's are not fantastic but I think this can turn into a positive purely by stating you actually finished the year, got a study score and managed to get out the other side of it in a year like no other. Sometimes it's the little things.

You know what? You're right. I do feel proud of what I have done, even if it wasn't as good as my classmates. I did my work, tried my best and still came out with a score that can get me somewhere. The Diploma in 2022 is only a stepping stone towards my success, and someday, no matter the outcome, I'll look back on the crazy journey that has been and never doubt or regret my work as a student, knowing that I tried my best, and my friends and family still respect me, no matter what kind of silly number I get at the end of highschool.
Thank you, Aaron.
2020- 53.35

English Lang. <20
History: Revolutions. <20
French: 27
Biology: 28
Drama: 24

"Well, it doesn't define who I am, but it does a bloody good job at crushing my spirit and self-esteem"

2021- Gap Year, working in Bright at the snowfields (guys, this is so much fun)

2022- Fed University, Fast Access Program Diploma

If anyone wants advice on what NOT to do, feel free to send me a message.