Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:42:28 am

Author Topic: HSC Business Studies Question Thread  (Read 222741 times)  Share 

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
Re: Business Studies Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 09:23:54 am »
Hi! Could someone please help me? I don't know how the critical path works! I keep getting different answers along the lines of "it's the shortest path" or "the longest path"... Someone even started a poll on Facebook, and it seems almost 50/50!

I would upload the photo of an example, but it won't let me unless it's in another format...

Hey there,

A critical path analysis is a scheduling tool that allows the business to see how long tasks will take. Thus, it shows the shortest amount of time for ALL tasks to be done. This is because some tasks can be done simultaneously, hence why there are different branches.

This is confusing because to calculate the critical path, you look for the longest path. This is because the longest path will ensure that all tasks are completed. However, this is in fact the shortest time that the project will take, as it does not account for any unexpected situations or delays. Note that if one task is delayed then the whole project is not necessarily delayed; just that specific task. When calculating the new CPA, you don't add the delay to the overall time, just that specific task. In some cases, it does not change the CPA (question 14 and 15 in 2015 HSC)

Hope this helps
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 10:27:35 am »
Can someone please help me with this question? and explain to me why the answer is D.

zachary99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 10:57:32 am »
option A- by looking at country B, star cars market share was the same, but the amount of sales increase, meaning the total car market increased. Therefore it is not this answer.

option B- in 2010 star cars has 10% markets share and 10 mill cars. therefore there is 100 mill cars overall. in 2011, they have 12 mill cars and 12% market share, therefore there is still 100 mill cars overall. Therefore the total car market stayed the same, it did not increase.

option c - in 2010 Star markets market share for country B was at 10% at 10 mill, therefore there was 100 mill cars overall. In 2011, 10% = 12mill cars. Therefore there is now 120 mill cars in the total market share. This increased, therefore it is incorrect

option D - the market share obviously decreased from 10% to 6%. in 2010 10 mill =10%, therefore there was 100 mill cars in the total market. in 2011, 8 mill = 6% ..........therefore total car market = (100/6) x 8 =133.33 million cars in the total car market.  Therefore the total car market increased. Therefore this is the correct answer. This would've tricked a lot of candidates. 8)

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 11:10:18 am »
Hey!
I was just wondering what does it mean if a loan is secured over its assets/property and is guaranteed against title, like for a mortgage its secured by the property of the borrower?

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:31 am »
Hey!
I was just wondering what does it mean if a loan is secured over its assets/property and is guaranteed against title, like for a mortgage its secured by the property of the borrower?

Hi Elena,
If a loan is secured over its assets/property etc, it means that if the business is unable to repay the loan; whatever is used as collateral (property, capital) is now the property of whoever is owed money. This is because it has a monetary value and can be sold to repay part of what is owed.

I.e. with a mortgage, the bank owns the house until you repay the whole debt and interest. If you forfeit on your loans then the bank will usually sell the house and take whatever is left of the debt and give you the rest. Thus, there is an asset as security and is much safer, hence a lower rate of interest than an unsecured loan/note.

Hope this helps :)
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 11:23:34 am »
Hi Elena,
If a loan is secured over its assets/property etc, it means that if the business is unable to repay the loan; whatever is used as collateral (property, capital) is now the property of whoever is owed money. This is because it has a monetary value and can be sold to repay part of what is owed.

I.e. with a mortgage, the bank owns the house until you repay the whole debt and interest. If you forfeit on your loans then the bank will usually sell the house and take whatever is left of the debt and give you the rest. Thus, there is an asset as security and is much safer, hence a lower rate of interest than an unsecured loan/note.

Thanks so much !  :)

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 11:45:50 am »
option A- by looking at country B, star cars market share was the same, but the amount of sales increase, meaning the total car market increased. Therefore it is not this answer.

option B- in 2010 star cars has 10% markets share and 10 mill cars. therefore there is 100 mill cars overall. in 2011, they have 12 mill cars and 12% market share, therefore there is still 100 mill cars overall. Therefore the total car market stayed the same, it did not increase.

option c - in 2010 Star markets market share for country B was at 10% at 10 mill, therefore there was 100 mill cars overall. In 2011, 10% = 12mill cars. Therefore there is now 120 mill cars in the total market share. This increased, therefore it is incorrect

option D - the market share obviously decreased from 10% to 6%. in 2010 10 mill =10%, therefore there was 100 mill cars in the total market. in 2011, 8 mill = 6% ..........therefore total car market = (100/6) x 8 =133.33 million cars in the total car market.  Therefore the total car market increased. Therefore this is the correct answer. This would've tricked a lot of candidates. 8)

Wow thank you so much!

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 12:21:27 pm »
Just wondering would we be required to know the freeze model ? ( kurt lewin )
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 12:43:16 pm »

Hey Deng,

I'm assuming you mean strategies for overcoming resistance to change. The syllabus requires us to know reasons against change, from this you can suggest whatever kind of strategy to minimise resistance. You can definitely use change models, the one I have is "Kotter's 8-step change model," I wouldn't know it too in depth but if you were going to use it in a report, you might want to outline the steps. If in an extended response, use a real life or hypothetical case study that has used this model and the results.

zachary99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »

not required......probs wont need it, i guess you never know but haha so it doesnt hurt knowing it

Veryben

• Fresh Poster
  • School: wello
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 01:48:04 pm »
Hey guys, just gathering personal opinions. As there is likely to be multiple 4-6 mark questions tomorrow and they give us a measly 8-12 lines to write on, will you:
A -Generally write down as much quality knowledge as you can regarding the question and continue writing on extra writing paper.
Or B- Find its better to essentially answer the question on the recommended lines and keep your answer rather 'short and sweet' even though you know you can write heaps more?
I had this issue yesterday in pdhpe and I feel it will reoccur again tomorrow and I'm curious to see what you's all think.
Thanks!

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 01:58:20 pm »
Hey guys, just gathering personal opinions. As there is likely to be multiple 4-6 mark questions tomorrow and they give us a measly 8-12 lines to write on, will you:
A -Generally write down as much quality knowledge as you can regarding the question and continue writing on extra writing paper.
Or B- Find its better to essentially answer the question on the recommended lines and keep your answer rather 'short and sweet' even though you know you can write heaps more?
I had this issue yesterday in pdhpe and I feel it will reoccur again tomorrow and I'm curious to see what you's all think.
Thanks!

For me personally it comes down to time, if i have more time ill definitely write as much as i can without going overkill ( so like double the amount given ), if not ill try to fill in the lines with the most direct answer i can give
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

zachary99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 03:41:09 pm »
for the 4 markers i like to keep it short and sweet, really concise answers. so i usually just write an extra line than provided or whatever.
5-6 markers i usually go all out haha, although i only do this because i usually blast through the multiple choice which gives me that little bit of extra time.

kevin217

• Forum Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 03:45:04 pm »
Thanks!
Haha I'm the person that does A. But it's up to you. If you want to get maximum marks for short answers you might want to take your time. I only got 33/40 for SA which is really annoying however, I was able to get 90%+ for the other sections.                                                                                     

Rikahs

• Forum Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 04:32:21 pm »
On a scale of 1 - 10, how prepared is everyone for business?
Adv Eng
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Business Stds
Chemistry
Physics