Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 01:38:02 am

Author Topic: 2011 VN'ers Psychology U3 Questions Thread  (Read 61226 times)  Share 

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
Re: 2011 VN'ers Psychology U3 Questions Thread
« Reply #405 on: June 12, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »
The aphasia affects gestures and writing as well as speech, so sufferers have great trouble communicating.

It is characterized by the loss of the ability to produce language (spoken or written)

Doubt I'd be marked wrong but yeah they're not explicitly mentioned in the book.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:15:58 pm by ssNake »
Doctor of Medicine

ReganM

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • What is being active?
  • Respect: +8
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #406 on: June 12, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »
So damag
I do believe zafaraaaa is correct. Why? Because the Broca's area has a role in 'understanding' the grammatical structure of language, it doesn't explicitly state that Broca's area affects ones ability to write grammatically correct sentences. You cannot just infer about something that has been stated in the book, just do not include this in an answer, state only that Broca's area MAY cause a problem in the construction of grammatically correct sentences as it has a role in understanding the grammatical structure of language. Never say does.

But to write a grammatically correct sentence you have to understand the grammar..??
Graduated in 2011.

Bachelor of Science at Melbourne. Biological Science subjects.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »
Can someone pleaseeeee explain the "Results" table for the research investigation in the 2011 psych sample questions??
I don't understand why they've mentioned 2 sets of P values (the one in the table and the p values in bold under the table)

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

Darren

« Reply #408 on: June 13, 2011, 02:06:36 pm »
basically zafara; the difference p-values just shows the degree to which the independent variable caused the difference. say for example; A's results compared with C's is very low in p-value; meaning that you can assume that the change in the independent variable caused influencing results; as opposed to chance

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #409 on: June 13, 2011, 02:24:02 pm »
Any examples of counterbalancing?
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »
Any examples of counterbalancing?

Like in a repeated measures design, where the experiment is testing for whether consumption of energy drinks cause hyperactivity.. instead of each participant going through both the standard experimental then control condition in the normal order (that is, first having Red Bull then having a placebo)... Half the participants would first have Red Bull (experimental condition) and then have placebo; whereas the other half of participants would first have placebo and THEN Red Bull.

So they'd be doing the conditions in a different order, thereby reducing "order effects" - the influence of practice/boredom/fatigue that was gained from doing the previous condition - and therefore we could better assume that this extraneous variable did not influence the results

diem

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2011, 03:50:53 pm »
In order to pass from short-term memory to long-term memory, does the information have to be "meaningful" or "encoded"? :S
2010: Vietnamese (34), Legal Studies (32)
2011: English Language (30), Japanese (30), Further Mathematics (30), Psychology (35)

Darren

« Reply #412 on: June 13, 2011, 03:56:48 pm »
it doesn't have to be meaningful; it just needs to be encoded; but according to 'levels of processing theory' if you encode with semantic meaning; it'll more likely be retained in LTM for longer than shallow processing.

Anon123

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #413 on: June 13, 2011, 06:54:41 pm »
Guys, body temperature during sleep
so it decreases gradually from NREM 1 to stage 4 sleep, yes?
In REM is it at its lowest (no longer regulated and continues to decrease, suggested answer from teacher), or does it increase (seems to make sense when other things like heart rate, breathing rate and blood pressure)
Re: Silly things you did during the exam..
I accidentally wrote a really shit context essay, oh wai-

English (33>31)
called it

Darren

« Reply #414 on: June 13, 2011, 07:17:23 pm »
I heard it slightly increased but I'm not really sure? someone help?

diem

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #415 on: June 13, 2011, 07:21:40 pm »

I suppose if a person is dreaming during REM sleep and that dream arouses them in a way, they their body temperature could increase... but in saying that, when a person is in REM sleep body temperature stops regulating, therefore they do not shiver or feel cold. Also, body temperature depends on the room/environmental temperature.

Someone who has done the STAV 2011 exam paper, I'm stuck on the ER Q1.

'If you are trying to commit something to memory, take a nap.'
Discuss the above statement.
Your response should include
  • A description of two different types of sleep
  • An outline of the different types of information that may need to be memorised
  • A discussion of the ways in which sleep facilitates the formation of different types of memory
  • Research and/or anecdotal evidence supporting your ideas

My response was:

-NREM sleep consists of four stages (1-4) describing the period of sleep when there are no or minimal eye movement, and is known to vary from alpha, theta to delta brain waves depending on the stage of NREM.
-REM sleep is the period of sleep when there are intense eye movement, and is known to have beta-like brain waves as measured by the electroencephalograph. It is the period of sleep where most dreams occur.
-There are two different types of information that may need to be memorised: they are the declarative memory and the procedural memory. Declarative memory is divided to two categories: episodic memory (which is the autobiographical memory of a person) and semantic memory (which is information of general, world knowledge).
-Procedural memory are memories of 'knowing how' to perform a task, such as knowing how to tie your shoelace. They are also referred to as implicit memories because a person is able to use the memory without bringing it consciously to mind.

I'm not sure what else to add, and I am stuck on the last two dot points. Please help =]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:31:38 pm by diem »
2010: Vietnamese (34), Legal Studies (32)
2011: English Language (30), Japanese (30), Further Mathematics (30), Psychology (35)

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #416 on: June 13, 2011, 07:43:30 pm »

I suppose if a person is dreaming during REM sleep and that dream arouses them in a way, they their body temperature could increase... but in saying that, when a person is in REM sleep body temperature stops regulating, therefore they do not shiver or feel cold. Also, body temperature depends on the room/environmental temperature.

• An outline of the different types of information that may need to be memorised
  • A discussion of the ways in which sleep facilitates the formation of different types of memory

My response was:

-NREM sleep consists of four stages (1-4) describing the period of sleep when there are no or minimal eye movement, and is known to vary from alpha, theta to delta brain waves depending on the stage of NREM.
-REM sleep is the period of sleep when there are intense eye movement, and is known to have beta-like brain waves as measured by the electroencephalograph. It is the period of sleep where most dreams occur.
-There are two different types of information that may need to be memorised: they are the declarative memory and the procedural memory. Declarative memory is divided to two categories: episodic memory (which is the autobiographical memory of a person) and semantic memory (which is information of general, world knowledge).
-Procedural memory are memories of 'knowing how' to perform a task, such as knowing how to tie your shoelace. They are also referred to as implicit memories because a person is able to use the memory without bringing it consciously to mind.

I'm not sure what else to add, and I am stuck on the last two dot points. Please help =]

Add the topic of sleeps use for consolidation and I think your got everything covered.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

alypew

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #417 on: June 13, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »

My response was:

My teacher told us that REM sleep was for the consolidation of procedural memories, and NREM was for the consolidation of declarative memories, so you could probably add that. :)

hotdog169

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #418 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:42 am »
Two questions, first what is a cognitive process that spatial neglect patients may have trouble doing? i assumed cause its damage to parietal lobe maybe catching a ball as it invovles spatial reasoning. 2nd question what are psychological characteristics that can distinguish daydreaming from NWS?
edit: also need to know why is there a difference in psychological characteristics for a person mediating and alcohol influenced?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:29:28 am by hotdog169 »

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #419 on: June 14, 2011, 11:04:26 am »
Two questions, first what is a cognitive process that spatial neglect patients may have trouble doing? i assumed cause its damage to parietal lobe maybe catching a ball as it invovles spatial reasoning. 2nd question what are psychological characteristics that can distinguish daydreaming from NWS?
edit: also need to know why is there a difference in psychological characteristics for a person mediating and alcohol influenced?
Spatial neglect patients may have trouble drawing a complete image (because they might only draw one side) or they might have difficulty reading a book(because they ignore one side of the page).
Daydreaming can be distinguished from Normal Waking Consciousness because daydreaming is an ASC where you shift your focus from external stimuli to internal thoughts and feelings. Because of this, daydreaming can be distinguished by a disturbed sense of time, distortions in perception and cognition (because you are not paying attention to the outside world as much).
The psychological characteristics for a person meditating is different than that of someone who is alcohol induced because meditation involves putting all your focus onto ONE stimuli, while ignoring other stimuli. In an Alcohol induced state it is extremely difficult to focus all your attention on one thing, and usually divided attention is more commonly seen in an alcohol induced state. Also, in Meditation, you gain a sense of self control and you can use that self control to alleviate pain and stress. Meditation involves a relaxation technique so ultimately, it won't really cause hallucinations in perception like the psycho-active properties of alcohol bring about