Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:01:23 am

Author Topic: VCE BAD AT ENGLISH HELP ME!!!!!  (Read 2845 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
VCE BAD AT ENGLISH HELP ME!!!!!
« on: October 03, 2019, 08:28:39 pm »
Hello guys, I am really bad at English and it is mandatory for VCE.
English is a prerequisite for my course and it must be in the top 4 subjects. I am really bad at it tho and struggle to get a decent grade, for some reason I just suck at it. Tbh I would be surprised if I got above 70% for English. How do I get a decent study score from it?

Nature

• Trailblazer
  • 忍耐が成功の鍵です ❀
  • Respect: +6
Re: VCE BAD AT ENGLISH HELP ME!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:55:34 pm »
You need to point out what you are struggling with in order for us to help you specifically.
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=164619.0
This link has a lot of resources for your help if you haven't already looked at it.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 09:27:30 pm »
+1
Hello guys, I am really bad at English and it is mandatory for VCE.
English is a prerequisite for my course and it must be in the top 4 subjects. I am really bad at it tho and struggle to get a decent grade, for some reason I just suck at it. Tbh I would be surprised if I got above 70% for English. How do I get a decent study score from it?
I can't really answer it, but I can commiserate...

I absolutely ruined my English exam, and came out of the room looking like I'd just seen the ghost of all my dreams.
I actually had, but I've seen Ghostbusters since then..

This might make you feel better - its the whole system :-\
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Boink

• Adventurer
  • Internally Screaming
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 10:31:08 pm »
+3
I'll just give you general advice since I don't know what exactly you're struggling with.

My suggestion is to just do practice essays and continuously get feedback from your teacher(s). In order to succeed, you need to know what you're doing wrong, but also what you're doing right so you can keep building on the strengths you do have and start working on your weaknesses.

I used to get pretty average scores in English last year because I never sought help from my teacher, and any feedback I was given turned out to be pretty vague. That led to me not knowing what I had to work with, meaning that my essays would just consist of writing whatever came to mind without knowing which structures and analyses worked for the topic.
Since I started getting more feedback on my essays this year, my grades have been able to maintain a consistent high standard.
If you feel like you don't have the time to write whole essays to show your teacher, try writing single paragraphs and then working your way up. I recommend starting in an area you really struggle with, e.g. introductions, body paragraphs or conclusions, and then getting to your strong point.

This advice is pretty generic and I'm sure you've heard it many times, but I hope you found something helpful in what I said!
Good luck~
2020 Gang
2019 - Business Management
2020 - English, Data Analytics, Further Math, Legal Studies, VisCom
KLD Class of 2020

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 11:16:16 pm »
+1
Hi Stormbreaker-X!

I'm studying in the QCE system, but with subjects such as English, skills are generally transferable - no matter the syllabus. Is there anything in particular you are struggling with? Are there certain tasks that are causing some difficulty (i.e. creative writing, analytical essays, persuasive speeches...), or is it more skill-oriented (such as structuring paragraphs...)?
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics