Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:21:09 pm

Author Topic: Does not knowing 1/2 content affect me in units 3/4?  (Read 1699 times)  Share 

disone

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Does not knowing 1/2 content affect me in units 3/4?
« on: November 19, 2018, 07:38:01 pm »
hey guys, i did uniit 1/2 chem this year and feel a bit off as i dont really know the content that well such as calculating mole and stuff, but i don't know if that would affect my chem 3/4 studies to get a good study score in chem. the only reason i am doing chem is to get into course such us biomed or phyiso etc. as it is a prerequisite but if it wasn't would have dropped it.
can someone please help in guiding me?
cheers

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Does not knowing 1/2 content affect me in units 3/4?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:05:22 pm »
+2
You don't need everything from units 1&2, but you do need to know how to calculate mols.

Lots of people struggle in 1&2 but do better in 3&4 so remember that your performance this year doesn't define next year.

There are heaps of resources on the internet for stoichiometry so I'd encourage you to look around and see if there are any explanations that resonate with you

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:22:34 pm »
+3
Agree with the above. The fact that yuo've done 1/2 is useful and will definitely help. Even if you've had a bit of a tough time of it this year, having that background and the motivation to improve things next year should see you do fine.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

disone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:37 pm »
Agree with the above. The fact that yuo've done 1/2 is useful and will definitely help. Even if you've had a bit of a tough time of it this year, having that background and the motivation to improve things next year should see you do fine.
You don't need everything from units 1&2, but you do need to know how to calculate mols.

Lots of people struggle in 1&2 but do better in 3&4 so remember that your performance this year doesn't define next year.

There are heaps of resources on the internet for stoichiometry so I'd encourage you to look around and see if there are any explanations that resonate with you

my preformance this year was pretty close to failure and limited backround, would that still be enough for me to do well in chemistry 3/4?
and what is stoichometry ? cheers

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:47:57 pm »
+2

my preformance this year was pretty close to failure and limited backround, would that still be enough for me to do well in chemistry 3/4?
and what is stoichometry ? cheers

I think it might be worth doing some work over the holidays.

disone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:17:26 pm »
I think it might be worth doing some work over the holidays.
thanks

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
+2
hey,
i recommend checking out --> http://baysideschoolofchemistry.com/
trust me, it will save your chem SS like it has with me.
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 11:31:52 pm »
+3
I was in a very similiar boat at the end of year 11 - there are a few factors here.
The first one I think and one that alot of people dont mention, is to think about how realistic your goals that require chem are? and how realistic are they if you do chem?
By that I mean, if you want to get into a course that requires a 95+ atar, are you absolutely SMASHING your other subjects besides chem, going to continue killing them, and definitely be able to get at least a 25 in chemistry? You will have to be real with yourself and really think about it.
Secondly - how bad are you at chem? Do you really hate it, only want to do it as a pre-req, and are not good at it? if so really consider if you can definitely get the 25 and how it will affect both your happiness and grades.

For example, I did 1/2 chem and did really shit. I failed every sac and only passed the subject by doing redemption sacs that the teacher would literally tell us what the questions would be. Even then I struggled. The only reason I wanted to do chem was to do med, but then I realised a) i probably wont get the atar for med b) if i did i probably wont 25 chem and c) I dont even like chemistry and any course that requires it will fuck me. So i decided to drop it. you should have a similiar reflection.

If you really wanna study biomed/physio/health sciences and you enjoy chem but just got bad grades this year, then give it a crack, if not , think twice about it

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 06:05:27 pm »
Other than calculations (involving moles and etc.) is there any other important crossovers between 1/2 and 3/4?

Thanks

P.S I know I could just check study design but I want to hear it from the perspective of someone who has completed 3/4 chem
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 09:22:54 pm »
+1
Other than calculations (involving moles and etc.) is there any other important crossovers between 1/2 and 3/4?

Thanks

P.S I know I could just check study design but I want to hear it from the perspective of someone who has completed 3/4 chem

Most of the fundamental concepts of chemistry you learn in 1/2 are still applicable in year 12.