Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:31:25 pm

Author Topic: The VCE journey of a hums student  (Read 30567 times)

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
Re: The VCE journey of a hums student
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 09:58:13 pm »
+9
This isn't exactly a proper 'update' but I just finished a chem SAC and want to procrastinate a bit more before my upcoming methods torture SACs.

I decided to get one of those 'inspirational quote' thingy's personal texts that all the cool kids put under their profile pics, except I can't actually think of what inspirational quote to put so instead I decided to plagiarise a quote I read from a history book slightly out of context.

Basically during ancient history we were reading a book on the great Athenian military general Pericles, and while 99% of the book just consisted of Plutarch (the author) giving a biographical account of Pericles's life, there was one part, one absolutely beautiful part where Plutarch just absolutely roasted Pericles to pieces.

Here's an excerpt:

His [Pericles's] physical features were almost perfect, the only exception being his head, which was rather long and out of proportion. For this reason almost all his portraits show him wearing a helmet, since the artists apparently did not wish to taunt him with this deformity.

However, the comic poets of Athens nicknamed him ‘schinocephalus’ or ‘squill-head', and Cratinus for example, in his play The Tutors says that ‘Old Cronos mated with the goddess of party-strife, and their offspring was the biggest tyrant of all: now the gods call him “The Head-Compeller”. And again in his Nemesis he refers to ‘Zeus, the protector of foreigners and heads.'

Telecleides describes Pericles as sitting on the Acropolis at his wits end, "at one moment top-heavy with the load of the cares of state, and at another creating all the din of war by himself, from that brain-pan of his, which is big enough to hold eleven couches."

And Eupolis in The Demes asks questions about each of the great popular leaders as they come up from Hades, and remarks, when Pericles’ name is called out last:
" Now you have brought us up the very head
Of those in the world below.
"

Who says ancient history isn't fun?

I'll probably change it once I either get tired of it or find an even more interesting quote.

On another note, I've done my chem SAC and know that I lost at least 6 marks, which is 12%, meaning goodbye A+ (not that I was gonna get one anyway).
I got absolutely trolled by the teacher though: the day before the SAC he handed out a practice paper which I finished later that night. During the SAC I saw a question which seemed exactly the same as one of the practice questions. The diagram was the same, the scenario was the same, even the 4 multiple choice options were the same. My mentally retarded 'brain-pan' decided that it must be the same question so I just went and circled the same option as the practice paper.
After coming out of the SAC my sister comes up and says to me "I almost got trolled, I didn't notice question 4 was different to the practice paper our teacher gave us until 2 minutes before the end."
Turns out one of the most minute details in the question was changed, and I totally overlooked it. What really sucks is that it was a relatively easy question as well and had I just READ THE QUESTION PROPERLY I could've gotten it right.

FML

We were told that as our school does better in science and maths subjects compared to the other schools in our area, so even if I absolutely bomb the SACs I still have hope of geting a decent study score (as long as I don't fail too badly), but I doubt it. My school does better than some of the schools in our area but we also have the notorious Cory High School down the road from ours which is a friggin selective school and is ranked in the 30s in the state.

Oh well, SAC's done. Can't do much about it now, though it kinda scares me that I'll now be starting Unit 4 Chemistry...

Hope everyone's having a good week ;D

EDIT: Check this out if any of you want to learn more about Pericles's peculiar head shape: The Big Greek Elongated Head of Pericles
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:02:13 pm by Lsjnzy13 »
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 09:33:57 pm »
+1
I hope you do well on the chem sac

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 11:41:11 am »
+1
Thanks! ;D My teacher has already marked it even though we only did it yesterday... I'm too scared to ask what I got XD

It's sort of like ripping off a band-aid, haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 03:28:09 pm »
+6
It's sort of like ripping off a band-aid, haha.
Accurate. And the pain is pretty intense too.
My teacher ended up coming up to me after school and literally shoved my mark in my face so I couldn't even mentally prepare myself for the pain... I got a B+ (which is an improvement from last SAC) but it still pisses me off cos I was one mark off an A.

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 11:14:40 pm »
+14
Update #5: 28/05/2018

I have exactly 163 days till my very first exam.
what a cheerful way to start the entry

Haven’t updated in nearly a month, (I’ll try to stick to a schedule of updating every second Monday). Here’s what’s new.

News No. 1
VCAA exam timetables are out…
Week 1: No exams, just delayed stress and anxiety.
Week 2: Methods (Wednesday + Thursday); Ancient History (Friday)
Week 3: Literature (Monday); Chemistry (Tuesday)
Week 4: Global Politics (Monday)
I was totally hoping global wouldn’t be so late so I could watch Crimes of Grindelwald as soon as it comes out

News No. 2
I’m now halfway through all my SACs for this term (3 done, 3 more to go). I still can’t believe that Unit 3 is over.

Chem: I got a B+ on the last SAC, which I would’ve been exceptionally pleased with had this been last year. But it’s now year 12 and I don’t think low expectations works. I was pretty upset that I was so close to an A.
In the end my unit 3 average (GA1?) is a B+. I know I said in my very first entry that a chem study score higher than 30 would completely exceed my expectations, but now I’m really hoping for a 40 (bit ambitious?), in order to push my lousy Chinese score into my bottom two.
We’ve started Unit 4, practical investigations. This is my chance to redeem myself.

Methods: Well, the SAC which spanned 5 periods of class time finally ended. The marks haven’t been moderated yet, but I apparently my unmoderated score is B+ (*sigh*)… I seriously hope my teacher was just messing with me, cos I need an A at least in order to hope for a 40+.

Literature: We did the SAC at the very beginning of term, and we still haven’t gotten back our results yet. Next Wednesday we’ll be having our Unit 4 AOS 1 SAC on literary perspectives, which I am NOT prepared for.

History: Our next SAC will be writing two essays on the Peloponnesian War, and I am really desperate to do well on this one, as I’m currently rank 2 in the class but I don’t think I’ll have a chance at 40+ unless I get rank 1.

Global Politics: I have an entire rant prepared for this subject so I'm gonna save it for...

News No. 3
Global politics... I hate this subject. It was my best subject last year, but I absolutely loathe it now and just dread. Every. Single. Class. Maybe it's just that I utterly despise my teacher, who forces us to rote-learn everything, is extremely unprofessional, cannot keep his political beliefs to himself, and basically tells any student who thinks differently that they're wrong.

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED RANT! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Last year our 1/2 teacher would hold debates during class and thoroughly welcomed a whole range of political views in our essays. Sure, it wasn't like he remained completely neutral but at least he RESPECTED the students's views and beliefs.

My current teacher though is the polar opposite. Once some students including myself were discussing about the pros and cons of capital punishment, one student said that the International Criminal Court should use the death penalty in serious cases, and the teacher just suddenly swoops in and says 'The fact that countries like US and China uses capital punishment but still has high numbers of crime shows that you're WRONG!"

TF? First of all US and China also has pretty high population so it makes sense that there would be more cases of crime, anyway I'm not even for the death penalty but I thought it was completely unnecessary for him to tell a student his opinion was wrong.

I'm not done. In one of my practice essays recently I brought up a point that he completely ignored in class about ethnic minorities in China, namely that apart from certain groups like the Uighurs who occasionally take part in religious extremism, most minority groups in China (including Islamic groups) are not only well treated but receive much more benefits in terms of welfare and education / job prospects than the Han majority (and yes I included statistics from academic sources to back up my point). He crossed out that entire paragraph and said that I'm somehow undermining the human rights abuses by their government by claiming that ethnic minorities are treated well in China and that the 'statistics are twisted by the government'. OK SURE! COS I'VE TOTALLY NOT LIVED IN CHINA FOR 8 YEARS AND SAW FIRSTHAND HOW PEOPLE WERE TREATED (pretty well).

He has also said in class (and I quote) "I would never willingly visit China... India... Cuba... (list of countries go on and on)". What really pissed me off though was during parent teacher interviews last week. My parents just wanted to know how I was going in class goddammit, but apparently that was too much to ask of this teacher, who spent 8 of the 10 minutes making sure that my parents understood his political beliefs and another minute marvelling at the fact that my parents, despite being Caucasian, willingly spent 8 years living and working in 'a repressed communist country'. With one minute to go my dad finally cut him off and said 'So how is my son doing in this subject?', to which the teacher replied 'Pretty well, but if he could stop being so sympathetic towards the CCP that would be an improvement.' at which point my parents just gave up getting something unbiased out of this teacher.

Can I just add very quickly, I've noticed a trend in my practice essays and it's that the harder I bash China/Chinese government/culture/people, the bigger ticks I get. Meanwhile if I even attempt to bring in another perspective, it gets crossed out.

Global was never gonna be in my primary 4 anyway, but last year I thought it had a chance. This year though, considering just thinking of this subject gives me a headache, I doubt I'll get good marks on it. Meanwhile, chemistry, the subject I nearly failed in unit 1/2, is steadily improving, and I think now I have a better chance of chem being in my top 4 than global. My school does poorly in global (I wonder why... with such an unprofessional 'teacher'). The highest score in my school’s history was a 36, and our average study score last year was around 27-28 (yikes). For chem the AVERAGE SS in 2017 was nearly 40 , and considering I’m ranked about average among my cohort for both subjects, I’ll definitely do better in chem.

News No. 4
Not VCE related, but we had interhouse cross country last Thursday and my house won! 1st, 2nd and 3rd place of both boys and girls were all from our house, and I came 2nd! I'm off to districts tomorrow, meaning I miss double methods (cry) and double global (CELEBRATION).

Hope everyone has a great week!  :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:20:20 pm by Lsjnzy13 »

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 09:08:26 pm »
+3
News No. 3
Global politics... I hate this subject. It was my best subject last year, but I absolutely loathe it now and just dread. Every. Single. Class. Maybe it's just that I utterly despise my teacher, who forces us to rote-learn everything, is extremely unprofessional, cannot keep his political beliefs to himself, and basically tells any student who thinks differently that they're wrong.

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED RANT! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Last year our 1/2 teacher would hold debates during class and thoroughly welcomed a whole range of political views in our essays. Sure, it wasn't like he remained completely neutral but at least he RESPECTED the students's views and beliefs.

My current teacher though is the polar opposite. Once some students including myself were discussing about the pros and cons of capital punishment, one student said that the International Criminal Court should use the death penalty in serious cases, and the teacher just suddenly swoops in and says 'The fact that countries like US and China uses capital punishment but still has high numbers of crime shows that you're WRONG!"

TF? First of all US and China also has pretty high population so it makes sense that there would be more cases of crime, anyway I'm not even for the death penalty but I thought it was completely unnecessary for him to tell a student his opinion was wrong.

I'm not done. In one of my practice essays recently I brought up a point that he completely ignored in class about ethnic minorities in China, namely that apart from certain groups like the Uighurs who occasionally take part in religious extremism, most minority groups in China (including Islamic groups) are not only well treated but receive much more benefits in terms of welfare and education / job prospects than the Han majority (and yes I included statistics from academic sources to back up my point). He crossed out that entire paragraph and said that I'm somehow undermining the human rights abuses by their government by claiming that ethnic minorities are treated well in China and that the 'statistics are twisted by the government'. OK SURE! COS I'VE TOTALLY NOT LIVED IN CHINA FOR 8 YEARS AND SAW FIRSTHAND HOW PEOPLE WERE TREATED (pretty well).

He has also said in class (and I quote) "I would never willingly visit China... India... Cuba... (list of countries go on and on)". What really pissed me off though was during parent teacher interviews last week. My parents just wanted to know how I was going in class goddammit, but apparently that was too much to ask of this teacher, who spent 8 of the 10 minutes making sure that my parents understood his political beliefs and another minute marvelling at the fact that my parents, despite being Caucasian, willingly spent 8 years living and working in 'a repressed communist country'. With one minute to go my dad finally cut him off and said 'So how is my son doing in this subject?', to which the teacher replied 'Pretty well, but if he could stop being so sympathetic towards the CCP that would be an improvement.' at which point my parents just gave up getting something unbiased out of this teacher.

Can I just add very quickly, I've noticed a trend in my practice essays and it's that the harder I bash China/Chinese government/culture/people, the bigger ticks I get. Meanwhile if I even attempt to bring in another perspective, it gets crossed out.
That's heinous! And so disappointing considering it was your best subject.
I would just abide by his racist ways for your SACs, using your own knowledge and research of China for essays to be corrected by others. You could possibly have your 1/2 teacher look over the """"controversial""" ones if your current one won't take too much offence.
If it's good enough for the exam, he won't be marking that. Soemtimes you just have to bend one way for a biased, arrogant teacher and then be yourself for the VCAA assessors who are, hopefully, more reasonable.

Congrats for methods and Chem! You've got great results so keoe your head high and grind on :))

Edit: cough I said favourite subject when you said best... Is it just me who correlates good results with likeability ? Lmao
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 07:59:42 pm »
+3
That's heinous! And so disappointing considering it was your best subject.
I would just abide by his racist ways for your SACs, using your own knowledge and research of China for essays to be corrected by others. You could possibly have your 1/2 teacher look over the """"controversial""" ones if your current one won't take too much offence.
If it's good enough for the exam, he won't be marking that. Soemtimes you just have to bend one way for a biased, arrogant teacher and then be yourself for the VCAA assessors who are, hopefully, more reasonable.

Congrats for methods and Chem! You've got great results so keep your head high and grind on :))

Thanks man :) Our sac's coming up so I'm probably just gonna write from his perspective for the time being and see if I can find anyone to look over the answers he doesn't like!

Edit: cough I said favourite subject when you said best... Is it just me who correlates good results with likeability ? Lmao
Yep it's not just you! I'm automatically more motivated to do well in a subject if I enjoy it. I have so much respect for people who can do well in subjects they dislike... just HOW?

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 01:29:58 pm »
+9
Update #6: 11/06/2018

I would have started off with a Happy Birthday to our head of state but it's not even her actual birthday. This date was chosen to (according to Wikipedia) space out public holidays evenly in Australia.
Completely off topic, but is there anyone out there who would actually want Australia to remain a part of the Commonwealth like me? It seems that everyone I meet is in favour of becoming a republic.

News No. 1
Unit 3 is well and truly over. Also - ALL OF MY SACS ARE DONE FOR THE TERM! Ok, that’s a lie, I still got the chem practical investigation to do, as well as the GAT to look forward to (oh joy), but all the ‘proper’ SACs are done!

Lit: Two news. First, we FINALLY got our Unit 3 AOS 2 results back, I got an A+ which exceeded my wildest expectations (got D+ on the same SAC last year). I kind of expected a decent grade, since we got an extra period due to an evacuation, but no way would I have expected that high. I only lost one mark – wrong tense (why do I always make stupid mistakes like this smh).
We’ve also completed our Unit 4 perspectives SAC. Sadly, I ran out of time for a conclusion. I’m sincerely hoping that my unnecessarily detailed analysis made up for it, as I finally saw hope for a 40+ and I don’t want to mess it up.

Methods: Our final Unit 3 results are still being moderated, but I know for sure that I got somewhere between B and A. Meanwhile, we’ve started integration, and I stupidly managed to piss my teacher off in the very first lesson by calling the integral sign ‘that snake thingy’. Our next SAC is planned for the first week back of term 3.

Chem: Currently I’m working on my practical investigation poster. I’ve pretty much spent all my time and energy on this for the past few days, as it’s the only chem-related ‘SAC’ which I get to take home and work on, so even if I suck at chem there’s no reason why I can’t get an A (and I really need one if I want a 40!).
We've started organic chem, and naming all those hydrocarbons with random as functional groups and long as chains actually gives me headaches. Organic chem is the worst for me (actually failed the SAC last year and I had to bribe the teacher into letting me stay in his class), but as chem has been working out considerably better in comparison to last year, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep this going.
Does anyone else feel like unit 3 of chem is more related to physics while unit 4 is more bio?

History: WE’VE STARTED ROME! I’VE WAITED FOR THIS FOR SO LONG!
To recap Unit 3: Ancient Greece was definitely one of the most interesting things I’ve ever studied at school. The amount of parallels between a war that happened 2500 years ago and modern day society were astonishing. Learning about Alcibiades was also especially interesting, my teacher described him as “professional douchebag and the world’s first legitimate politician”.
As for our AOS2 SAC, I think I did a lot better than the first one, though I know I completely messed up one of my essays. In the introduction I outlined my 3 main points, I then changed my mind and wrote another point for my 3rd paragraph instead, sadly ran out of time to change my contention.

Global: I didn’t really prepare for my global SAC, partly due to my hatred for the teacher and also because I figured that it’s definitely going to be in my bottom 2 regardless of how hard I try. Looking back now I kind of regret it. Our teacher still hasn’t given back our marks, but he did give out our approximate rankings in the class, so I know I messed up.

News No. 2
Unit 3 rankings for my subjects:
Literature: 1st (feels like my most recent SAC just sabotaged this ranking though)
History: 2nd (out of a class of 6 people so it doesn’t mean much)
Methods: top 25%
Spoiler
Considering that earlier this term my teacher thought I was below average and my grades can only be considered decent for someone who does hums subjects, I’m really pleased with this. I would love to push to the top 10% and prove her wrong once and for all though.
Global: just above average
Chemistry: average

Pretty funny when you compare that to my 1/2 scores, where I was ranked 1st for global, below average for lit, bottom 25% for methods, and probably last in the entire school for chem.

News No. 3
Cross country – I’ve progressed to regionals after coming 1st during districts (I got lucky, the guy who outran me during interhouse couldn’t go cos of a SAC.) I’m not sure whether I should go to regionals though, as I really don’t want to miss too many classes.
How do some kids do well in school while balancing hours and hours of extracurricular activities, while also having a social life AND getting a healthy amount of sleep at the same time? They are a mystery to me.

Have a good week! And good luck to everyone doing the GAT on Wednesday!
Friendly reminder: if the teacher doesn't arrive after 15 minutes we're legally allowed to leave
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:35:19 pm by Lsjnzy13 »

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 04:57:14 pm »
+8
Update #7: 26/06/2018

Countdown till exams: 133 days.

I didn’t update on Monday but school finished today so I thought I might as well wait till the term is over before I update. And also because something really awesome was planned for today which I really wanted to talk about (see below).

News No. 1
I turn 17 this week (god I feel old), now I can finally say I’m older than the year 11s at school.  ;D

News No. 2
Subject updates:

Lit: So I’m currently rank 1 in the class. I’m really surprised by this to be honest, so is my teacher, who told me that he is 1, surprised that I’ve finally stopped falling asleep in class, and 2, that I’ve actually started reading the set texts. Last year I was so pissed that Shakespeare wasn’t a set text I flat out refused to read any of the texts given. (Tbh I still am pretty pissed, though I care more about my study score)

Methods: I’ve started revision for our upcoming SAC. So far I’ve just been going over some extra worksheets but I’m planning to start previous years’ papers by the first week of holidays. I’m really hoping for an A for this SAC, the B+ from last SAC was really unsatisfying. (Currently ranked 7th in the class out of 24)

Chem: ORGANIC CHEM WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME! Holy crap this is content heavy. There is so much rote-learning involved. Even our teacher told us to quit trying to *understand* everything, and that as long as we can *remember* we’ll be set. I was going so well in chem and was actually hoping for a good study score until unit 4 hit.
On another note, our posters have been marked, though we won’t be getting them back soon. I have no idea how I went, but I do know that my discussion and evaluation were complete and utter waffle.

History: Rome turned out to be so much more content-heavy than Greece, but I’m enjoying it so far. Our teacher warned us that it would be getting hectic soon, which is horrible news since all my other subjects are piling up as well.
I got an A+ on my last SAC, which was the highest in the class. Still rank 2 though, since my first SAC dragged my average down.

Global: I got a B+ on the last SAC, which surprisingly was still above average considering I’ve kind of given up on this subject by now. Honestly I’d be happy with a study score of 25. It’s still kind of disappointing though, considering last year I did so well and was hoping for a 30+.

News No. 3
Unit 3 average scores for my subjects:
Lit: 96% (A+)
History: 91% (A+)
Global: 80.5% (A)
Methods: 77% (B+)
Chem: 75% (B+)
I am indeed living up to my title of ‘hums student’.

News No. 4
Cross country – I ended up going to regionals since the only class I missed was double global. Ended up coming 6th which was horrendously irritating – top 5 goes to states. This was the first year I didn’t qualify for states, though I guess that could be a good thing, since I won’t be missing more classes.

News No. 5
Year 10s are preparing for subject selections at my school and the teachers put together a panel of 4 year 12s to hold a Q and A today. I was chosen for doing a ‘variety of subjects’ along with 3 others.

a little on the other students
There were 2 guys and 2 girls, basically 1 guy and 1 girl did strictly hums/arts or strictly science subjects, and the other 2 did a mix. I was obviously one of the 2 who did a ‘mix’ of subjects, and the other girl did an even more varied set of subjects of Englang, methods, spesh, bio, media, and PE.

As for the 2 strictly hums or science kids, one was my sister (science representative, though she also does music for the lols) and the hums representative does English, further, legal, eco, busman, and Japanese SL.

We started off with introducing ourselves and then the teachers opened it up for the year 10 kids to ask us questions. Most were directed at the 2 ‘hums/science’ reps though 2 kids asked me about ancient history which was exciting (glad to know that the future is in good hands). Bunch of kids asked me about lit as well, and one particular student asked me why chemistry was among my subjects because ‘it seems so out of place’ (direct quote).

Some questions all four of us got were on future plans (Arts at UoM for me), ATAR goals (I had the lowest ATAR goal of ‘90+’ XD), favourite subject (history), hardest subject (hard to answer, all are difficult in different ways, overall methods probably is the hardest for me though), and what other subjects we’ve also considered doing (eco/psych/music).

Hope everyone enjoys their holidays! (or last week of school)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:54:59 pm by Lsjnzy13 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 05:02:04 pm »
+3
Happy belated 17th! ;D

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2018, 03:27:09 pm »
+8
Update #8: 09/07/2018

Countdown till exams: 121 days.

Holidays are halfway over, and so is year 12. I went past unimelb a few days ago and felt it’s unbelievable that in a couple more months I could be a student there (if I do well of course…).

News No. 1
Subject updates:

Lit: Exam preparations have started. Our teacher gave everyone a choice of 2 out of 3 set texts: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, Robert Browning’s poetry, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams. After reading through the examiners’ reports though, I found that all 3 were THE most popular texts chosen in 2017.
Quote from: 2017 examiners’ report
Novels: The overwhelmingly popular choice for this category was Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness.
Plays: The most popular choices were Tennessee Williams’s Cat on a Hot Tin Roof…
Poetry: The most popular texts were Robert Browning…
Problem is, I’m not exactly keen on choosing the same texts as everyone else. I read a couple of sample, high-scoring essays on those texts from last year, and all are ridiculously sophisticated and way beyond my level. When compared against those, none of my essays stand a chance. Unfortunately, with the exception of one, all the texts we’re studying are insanely popular. I wonder if it’s too late for me to start studying a completely different text yet.

Methods: The integration SAC is on the first Friday back, ironically only a few hours before year 12 formal that same evening. So far I’ve probably spent more hours preparing for formal than the SAC, which is appalling.
I did get a practice SAC done, which I scored a 72% for (not exactly ideal). Also went to the AN methods lecture on Saturday, though I was so mentally drained from the chem lectures in the morning I completely zoned out for the last hour or so.

Chem: I didn’t do any work for chem until Saturday, when I went to the AN lectures in the morning and realised how behind I am. The couple of people I went to the lecture with could all keep up (at least up until NMR spectroscopy – what the bloody hell was that?), meanwhile by the second content block I felt like the lecturer was speaking another language. (Optical isomerism??? Ionisation and fragmentation??? The n+1 rule??? Shielding??? And also why are the PEAKS for IR spec at the LOWEST point of the graph???)
On a more positive note, during the lecture I made it onto the Kahoot scoreboard for a solid 2 and a half minutes.

History: I managed to finish all of my holiday homework on the first day of holidays, finished reading An Introduction of the Roman Republic by David Gwynn earlier this week, and am now working my way through the early works of Livy. If only I could have this attitude for all my other subjects.
I’ve also started marathoning (if that’s a word) through Horrible Histories again, just because.

Global: Got no update cos I haven’t opened the textbook once this entire holidays. Still watch the news if that counts.

News No. 2
Formal is coming up soon and it’s the only reason why I’m looking forward to term 3. And before anyone asks, no, I’m not going with anyone (totally not because the girl I was planning to ask decided to go with someone else). Still, I’m really looking forward to it, especially since our year 10 formal was cancelled so everyone’s been waiting for this for years.

News No. 3
I wrote an article for ATAR Notes! Really, really awesome experience, can’t wait to write more in the future.

Hope everyone's been enjoying their break!

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 02:30:56 am »
+3
So far I’ve probably spent more hours preparing for formal than the SAC, which is appalling.
exceptionally relatable

On a more positive note, during the lecture I made it onto the Kahoot scoreboard for a solid 2 and a half minutes.
Omg what was your username!? The anal one was a laugh because I am indeed twelve years old. But dotty boi was my fave.

I wrote an article for ATAR Notes! Really, really awesome experience, can’t wait to write more in the future.
Same!! Has been published yet? Afaik mine hasn't but do send a link if yours is!

Happy holidays
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 09:43:31 am »
+1
Omg what was your username!? The anal one was a laugh because I am indeed twelve years old. But dotty boi was my fave.
Dotty boi was such a classic haha!
My username was 'Tassie Jones', cos it seems that all the methods examiners for VCAA are absolutely adamant on putting the poor guy through all kinds of escapades. (I bet Tasmania Jones is gonna appear in our exam at the end of the year).

Same!! Has been published yet? Afaik mine hasn't but do send a link if yours is!
Mine hasn't yet either, but I just wrote it this week so maybe that's why. I'll make sure to put a link up when it does get published though.
What's your article on? Be sure to put a link up too! Can't wait to read it.

DogBlackTheBlackDog

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 10:21:26 am »
+1

History: I managed to finish all of my holiday homework on the first day of holidays, finished reading An Introduction of the Roman Republic by David Gwynn earlier this week, and am now working my way through the early works of Livy. If only I could have this attitude for all my other subjects.
I’ve also started marathoning (if that’s a word) through Horrible Histories again, just because.

News No. 3

No wonder you’re rank 1 in ancient right now, with all those extra readings that you’re doing. Have you finished Livy yet? How long did that take you?

What’s your article on? Love to read it once it gets published!

Enjoy the rest of your holidays, see you in like 5 days ahahah!
2018 - Ancient History [36], Auslan [28]
2019 - English [37], Further [45], Food Studies [41], Chemistry [32], Physical Education [40]

2020 - Bachelor of Nutrition Science (scholars program) @ Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 12:14:54 pm »
+4
On articles, the only reason they wouldn't be published at the moment is because I don't want to push out too many at once haha.

In saying that, this article here looks pretty tops. ;)