Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:33 pm

Author Topic: Zappi's Year 12 Journey  (Read 16540 times)

Zappi

• Forum Regular
  • Official ATARNotes Passerer of Food
  • Respect: +61
Zappi's Year 12 Journey
« on: December 18, 2018, 10:51:38 am »
+21
    Hello everyone,

I'm going into my final year of schooling next year (Class of 2019) and I thought it'd be a great idea to start something to track my progress and general feelings about everything. It being public's a nice bonus too, might help me with procrastination  ;)

A bit of background in case you've never seen me before (I've only posted a handful of times):
Spoiler
I'm Zappi! I'm going into Year 12 in 2019. I live in the western suburbs of Melbourne, where I've lived for most of my life. I have a passion for language, linguistics and communication in general, which I hope to do as a career  ;D

I've studied Japanese for around 2~3 years by myself and I've gotten to an intermediate stage, passing the JLPT N3 in 2017 and taking the N2 in 2018. I've also dabbled in a lot of other languages, like Malay / Indonesian (beginner, but I only learn from what I pick up from having conversations), Esperanto / Interlingua, Cantonese and many more (only dabbled, haven't progressed much if at all in any of 'em)

I'm fairly quiet and keep to myself in public (complete opposite at home, just ask my family  ;)). Never really been social so I don't really like making myself known. I have a very small group of really close friends and I wouldn't want anything else  ;D

So, next year I've chosen to study English Language, VCE Japanese (through Distance Ed w/ VSL), Software Development, BusMan and Further Maths. I'm told it's a good mix so we'll see how it all turns out  8)

My goals seem a bit far fetched to me now, but hopefully I can push through it all.
  • English Language - aiming for at least 35 raw. I picked English Language over Mainstream English or Lit because it resonates with me a lot more. I have a passion for linguistics, languages, translation and how languages reflect the society and culture in which it was developed so this was a nobrainer  ;D
  • VCE Japanese - aiming for at least 42 raw. The main reason I picked this subject is for the scaling, to be honest. I've had around 3 years of self-study and U1&2 was much easier than what I expected. I passed the JLPT N3 last year and took the N2 this December so hopefully Japanese will be easy marks!!
  • Software Development - aiming for at least 35 raw. I've had on-and-off experience with programming ever since I started using a computer ;D My main backup for Uni other than linguistics and translation is IT so I thought it'd be pretty valuable :P
  • Business Management - aiming for at least 38 raw. Honestly, not much interest in BusMan!! It just clicks with me. I got through U1&2 with an average SAC mark of 92% and my final exam was anywhere from 95% to 100% (teacher forgot the exact mark) so I figured it'd be a good subject to have. Even though I have no plans of ever owning or managing a business it seems like what we learn would still be really helpful in life, even with just being aware of how businesses function (plus my teacher last year was amazing  ;D)
  • Further Maths - aiming for at least 39 / 40 raw. I've always figured myself to be more of a science-based person so Maths was definitely gonna be one of my subjects. Methods & Spesh looked waay too difficult for me and none of my dream courses even need them so I had no reason to do either. I figure I can do well if I practise practise practise  ;D

Overall,  my personal goal for my ATAR is 90~95+, with my dream course's (Arts, Linguistics Major @ Melb. Uni) ATAR req. being 85.

Personal junk in the spoiler if anyone wants to read it:
Spoiler
I don't have a real reason to go so high but I have lots of personal reasons for why I am. I've always had a serious lack of self-control which has manifested itself in procrastination, hoarding, self-neglect and even me hurting people that I love and cherish as a result of me not having restraint. It's always been serious, but the major turning point was when it started hurting others, not just myself (not to mention how my family's been affected over the years).

Over the past few months (probably starting around June 2018) I've woken up to how serious it all is and how it goes completely against my personal values and expectations I have for myself and others. 2018 has probably been one of the lowest years of my life, but I'm so so so grateful that people are so incredibly understanding and patient and were / still are willing to walk me through all of this. If I didn't get all of the love and support I've gotten over the past few months I'd probably not be here typing this right now.

I decided that the best course of action would be to organise myself, discipline myself and learn to be a better person, no matter how painful it is. School's just another way I'm trying to do this, as my results have always been so much lower than what I think I'm capable of (test scores have always been good, but it got to the point this / last year that I was handing in work so rarely that I was just minutes away from completely failing Year 10 and Year 11).

I want to do amazingly well in VCE not only to help me get into a good university, but also to prove to myself that I can fix this, that I can push myself and that I can do this. It'll be tough, sure, but I'm sick and tired of making excuses after excuses as to why I'm not doing my absolute best (I even started telling people what I should be doing, not what I'm actually doing, just to trick myself into thinking that I'm okay). I need to show myself that I have the ability to succeed and not let the demons in my head ruin all of it for me.

tl;dr my lack of self-control has hurt myself and others around me, so I finally decided to take action half way through 2018 and prove to myself that I can overcome this. I want to do well in VCE so I can teach myself to have control, discipline and just the drive to do better.

So yeah! I hope to post updates here fairly often to keep myself on track and to share my experiences with others. I really hope we can all do our best this year!!

(I think I've done this right but please call me out if I'm breaking any rules by posting this!! I'm still kinda unsure  :'()[/list]
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

My website: https://zappi.xyz/

Zappi

• Forum Regular
Re: Zappi's Year 12 Journey
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:59:15 pm »
+6
18th of December 2018

Haven't done too much today so far apart from start this journal and scouring through the forums  ;D
Did apply to the VCESS program. Not sure if I'll be able to pay it yet so I'll see what happens. If I can, great! If not, oh well. Shouldn't matter too much as long as I email the organisers and explain  ;D
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

Zappi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:15:00 pm »
+7
20th of December 2018

All of the ATARNotes books I ordered a few days ago arrived today ;D along with a personal copy of our Further textbook (Cambridge Further Maths Revised, already have the library copy I forgot to return). How just need to actually get around to starting that summaries book  :P

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 09:31:53 pm »
+8
re:spoiler

I'm glad that you're acknowledging the need for change, even though that must be quite confronting for you.

Part of your story reminds me of part of my VCE experience:
For me, during year 9 I was not handing in or completing homework despite the fact that I wished I was & it got to the point where at the end of year 9 my science teacher told me I wouldn't succeed in VCE despite being academically "bright". In year 11 I had that teacher for units 3&4 of VCE biology and achieved a study score of 47.

One thing I think would have benefitted me is talking to a counsellor earlier to have professional support as I worked on my wellbeing (I only started being open when speaking to one during year 12, and it was a better experience than I thought it would be). This might not be something you feel comfortable with yet, but I would recommend it.

Best of luck to you and your family; I believe you can turn things around.

I studied eng lang too (and wanted to study jap at a VCE level but had timetable clashing). Eng lang is one of the best VCE subjects, imo :)

Zappi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 05:31:40 pm »
+5
re:spoiler

I'm glad that you're acknowledging the need for change, even though that must be quite confronting for you.

Part of your story reminds me of part of my VCE experience:
For me, during year 9 I was not handing in or completing homework despite the fact that I wished I was & it got to the point where at the end of year 9 my science teacher told me I wouldn't succeed in VCE despite being academically "bright". In year 11 I had that teacher for units 3&4 of VCE biology and achieved a study score of 47.

One thing I think would have benefitted me is talking to a counsellor earlier to have professional support as I worked on my wellbeing (I only started being open when speaking to one during year 12, and it was a better experience than I thought it would be). This might not be something you feel comfortable with yet, but I would recommend it.

Best of luck to you and your family; I believe you can turn things around.

I studied eng lang too (and wanted to study jap at a VCE level but had timetable clashing). Eng lang is one of the best VCE subjects, imo :)

Spoiler
Thank you  ;D It means a lot to hear that. I do go to a psychologist but I'm just trying to build up the courage to get this off my chest.

Definitely better for more science-y people. Hated mainstream in Year 10 (watching Romeo + Juliet for the 20th time) even though I did well in it. Always hear that EL is harder than mainstream but it seems to click with me better  ;D

21st of December 2018

Living Lingo arrived! Hoping to start reading it & taking notes but I'm still figuring out how to approach it. I have a summaries book and an in-class / scrap book in my EL binder. Should I do practice essays and exercises in the in-class book? Write metalanguage & summaries of topics in my summaries book following SD points? Have no idea and I'm scared to ruin the fresh new book  :'(

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »
+6
Spoiler
Thank you  ;D It means a lot to hear that. I do go to a psychologist but I'm just trying to build up the courage to get this off my chest.

Definitely better for more science-y people. Hated mainstream in Year 10 (watching Romeo + Juliet for the 20th time) even though I did well in it. Always hear that EL is harder than mainstream but it seems to click with me better  ;D

21st of December 2018

Living Lingo arrived! Hoping to start reading it & taking notes but I'm still figuring out how to approach it. I have a summaries book and an in-class / scrap book in my EL binder. Should I do practice essays and exercises in the in-class book? Write metalanguage & summaries of topics in my summaries book following SD points? Have no idea and I'm scared to ruin the fresh new book  :'(
Spoiler
No problem at all :) It seems like you've gotten off to a good start and are actively trying to make progress  -- that's important and commendable

The year level before mine did Romeo and Juliet but luckily in my year we had Macbeth (I love reading but find romance boring and uninteresting at the best of times).

We've got a metalanguage thread in the eng lang section of the forums which I reckon is pretty good & better than using a book-bound glossary. I'd probably write summaries in the summary book according to the study design and work for the back of the summary book on essays but do in-class exercises in the in-class one. That's just me though.
I think the important thing is, the sooner you start taking an approach, the sooner you'll learn if it works for you or not. If you really don't like how you've started you can always rip out pages (only applies to mistakes in exercise books; I wouldn't desecrate an actual book by even folding a corner, let alone ripping out paper)

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 03:32:55 pm »
+6
God miniturtle gives such great advice that I can barely think of what else to say.
Having an adaptable/digital Metalanguage glossary is a fantastic idea and definitely the most important thing is just to try something out. I am the type to plan and plan but never execute, so this point of advice really stuck out for me.

Anyway, I'm glad to see a fellow Japanese language enthusiast! I can't wait to read about what you get up to this year. What attracts you Melbourne Uni over Monash? Also, do you have any ideas about what you would like to do after finishing up at uni? It's totally okay if not — in fact, maybe better if you don't!
I can also totally understand where you are coming from re choosing to do Japanese in VCE for the marks. Most of my language education was also outside of school and to be honest, I did not enjoy VCE Japanese. I found it was too structured and strategic. Although, I'm grateful for it now because it encouraged me to keep learning Japanese. Maybe you'll feel the same way :)
Have you completed 1/2 Japanese through VSL or at your home school?

Congratulations on completing N2 as well! What an amazing achievement.
Hoping to hear all about the other successes coming your way!
Merry Christmas :)
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Zappi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:14:02 am »
+5
Anyway, I'm glad to see a fellow Japanese language enthusiast! I can't wait to read about what you get up to this year. What attracts you Melbourne Uni over Monash? Also, do you have any ideas about what you would like to do after finishing up at uni? It's totally okay if not — in fact, maybe better if you don't!
I can also totally understand where you are coming from re choosing to do Japanese in VCE for the marks. Most of my language education was also outside of school and to be honest, I did not enjoy VCE Japanese. I found it was too structured and strategic. Although, I'm grateful for it now because it encouraged me to keep learning Japanese. Maybe you'll feel the same way :)
Have you completed 1/2 Japanese through VSL or at your home school?

Congratulations on completing N2 as well! What an amazing achievement.
Hoping to hear all about the other successes coming your way!
Merry Christmas :)

Honestly Melb Uni is just easier for me to get to transport-wise  ;D Heard Deakin also has good language programs
I did 1/2 through VSL as well  ;D
Thank you!! Hopefully I get just above the passing mark like I did with N3  8)

4th Jan 2019

Merry Christmas / Happy New Year!! Haven't posted in a while because of Christmas / New Year's stuff. Not much has happened either truthfully  ;D
Not sure if I have to go into Melbourne Uni today to go to the VCESS Enrolment day... would love to avoid if I can. Residential program kids don't have to today so I'm not sure that I have to either  ???

Thinking of taking up French or Indonesian for 3/4 to have a 6th subject but I'm not sure if that's the smart thing to do or not  ??? I have some competency in Malay so Indonesian shouldn't be too much for me.
French appeals to me more but I have next to no experience with it. Picking it up fairly quickly but I don't know if it'll be enough  :'(
I mean having a 6th subject can't really hurt, right? If it ever does get too much that's fine. It can only help me in the end  :'(

mod edit: I saw that you had trouble with the edit function, it's okay, I merged your posts for you ^-^
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:10:32 am by insanipi »

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:13:49 am »
+2
Hi there,

I am really looking forward to reading your journal this year! It's great to see a fellow year 12's journal for 2019 and wander along your experiences. Firstly I have to say that your subjects sound so great, I almost did Indonesian as I have a fairly good competency with it but didn't end up doing it because of the dry repetitive way it was being taught by the new teacher, but Japanese has always fascinated me. Congratulations on the wonderful N2 achievement!

Have you decided whether you'll do a language? I would say to be careful with diving headfirst into French if you haven't really studied it before, that goes for any language, although you have said you have found it quite simple to pick up. My advice would be to speak to your French teachers and also, just give it a go, you are never trapped if you find the workload too much, but the themes I'm seeing in Year 12 are discipline, motivation, consistency and perseverance, you can anything you set your mind to, if you are willing to.

You ride the confidence and let it motivate you.

Zappi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 06:51:47 am »
+1
Hi there,

I am really looking forward to reading your journal this year! It's great to see a fellow year 12's journal for 2019 and wander along your experiences. Firstly I have to say that your subjects sound so great, I almost did Indonesian as I have a fairly good competency with it but didn't end up doing it because of the dry repetitive way it was being taught by the new teacher, but Japanese has always fascinated me. Congratulations on the wonderful N2 achievement!

Have you decided whether you'll do a language? I would say to be careful with diving headfirst into French if you haven't really studied it before, that goes for any language, although you have said you have found it quite simple to pick up. My advice would be to speak to your French teachers and also, just give it a go, you are never trapped if you find the workload too much, but the themes I'm seeing in Year 12 are discipline, motivation, consistency and perseverance, you can anything you set your mind to, if you are willing to.

You ride the confidence and let it motivate you.

Thank you!! I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm on the train to my second week of VCESS right now where I'm taking all of my subjects plus French to test it out. I'm honestly still 50/50 on it right now  :'(

14th of January 2019
Wew, been a while since I've posted. Been having so much fun at VCESS the past week and I still have another week to go :D Don't really want it to end!!

The University of Melbourne campus is huuge. Like a little city in of itself 8)

As I said above I'm taking English Language, Business Management, Japanese, Software Development, Futher Maths and French at VCESS. All are going really well so far! French is a bit different, the tutor noticed that I don't understand enough to participate so she mostly lets me sit and listen on my own. The second tutor even gave me a basic introduction to French grammar outside of classtime  :D

I'm still really conflicted, but I've decided to wait until the end of the week before I really think about it. Tutor agreed to start getting me involved in class activities by Thursday or Friday so we'll see  ;D

Anyone else at VCESS at the moment? Would be happy to meet up with someone ;D

Zappi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 06:55:07 pm »
+1
15th January 2019

Jeez it was muggy today. Feel bad for anyone around me since I forgot to use deo this morning  :'(
VCESS is still so fun. Went up to the Welfare room for the first time  ;D
If nobody's made a VCESS thread yet I'll make one later tonight. Really excited to meet some of you guys  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:13:48 pm by Zappi »

Zappi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:22 pm »
+4
16th January 2019 (accidentally said yesterday's was the 16th  :'( )

Still muggy... better than yesterday but still killer on a packed tram. Nothing much happened today apart from a trivia game at VCESS  ;D Our team came 3rd in trivia and 2nd in the scav hunt last week so I'm pretty stoked  ;D

Just starting to realise how much I'm gonna miss VCESS... people here are so much more supportive and excited to be there than at my school  :-\
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:14:59 pm by Zappi »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 07:31:05 pm »
+1
Still muggy... better than yesterday but still killer on a packed tram. Nothing much happened today apart from a trivia game at VCESS  ;D Our team came 3rd in trivia and 2nd in the scav hunt last week so I'm pretty stoked  ;D
I can agree with you there- packed trams (especially when it's steamy/muggy/warm) suck. Trains are only slightly a bit better on my line, but it's still sardines come 4PM :(

VCESS sounds like fun from what I'm hearing from you, so glad you're enjoying it!!! :)
(I'm a big fan of trivia and I'm actually in the process of writing the trivia questions for a trivia night my uni campus is holding and I'm actually lowkey excited aha)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Zappi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 10:18:10 am »
+1
21st January 2019

Kept forgetting to post. Last day of VCESS was sad  :'( Got my shirt signed and got people's contacts but I'll miss how nice and supportive everyone was. Might post photos eventually  ;D

Today's not too bad so far. Found out I can go to the ATARNotes meetup on the 29th  ;D Thought school started then but it starts the 30th  :D
Also going to pick up some books for VCE today off of Gumtree. First time I've bought anything used online so a bit freaked out about it but I think I've gotten a good deal  ;D Anyone have experience with Connect Education notebooks?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 10:22:09 am »
+1
Today's not too bad so far. Found out I can go to the ATARNotes meetup on the 29th  ;D Thought school started then but it starts the 30th  :D
Also going to pick up some books for VCE today off of Gumtree. First time I've bought anything used online so a bit freaked out about it but I think I've gotten a good deal  ;D Anyone have experience with Connect Education notebooks?
Yay that you can come to the meetup!!! :))
I personally had a set of ConnectEd notebooks but I never actually used them (my school gave them to me basically), your experience may be different! :)

What was your favourite thing about VCESS? :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!