Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:31:11 am

Author Topic: Totalitarian Germany Speech need help asap!!  (Read 897 times)  Share 

Tafeissafe99

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Totalitarian Germany Speech need help asap!!
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:00:22 pm »
Hey the speech question is"evaluate the idea that nazi Germany was a totalitarian state". I don know where to start!!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Totalitarian Germany Speech need help asap!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:51:54 pm »
Hey the speech question is"evaluate the idea that nazi Germany was a totalitarian state". I don know where to start!!

Hey! I'll have to let Jake deal with specifics as I studied Russia not Germany, however last year a very common Russia question was "to what extent was Stalinism totalitarianism," or "Evaluate the view that the Soviet Union under Stalin was a totalitarian state." Whenever I was confronted with this type of question, I structured my response according to the 6 characteristics of a totalitarian society identified by Carl Joachim Friedrich (i'm pretty sure he created this guide to explain Nazi Germany, so it should definitely work for you as well!);

1. Elaborate guiding ideology.
2. Single mass party, typically led by a charismatic dictator.
3. System of terror, using such instruments as violence and secret police.
4. Monopoly on weapons.
5. Monopoly on the means of communication.
6. Central direction and control of the economy through state planning.

So I'd have a paragraph on each (though I typically did no.3/4/5 in one paragraph), justifying how and why Russian society under Stalin demonstrated these qualities. I'd be inclined to assume that this would work for the Germany just as well :)

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!