Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:30:16 pm

Author Topic: Trying to get a 90+ Atar  (Read 21621 times)

Seamus Wong

Re: Trying to get a 90+ Atar
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2019, 04:11:51 pm »
+7
It's currently been a week since my last exam.

I am going to use this journal to keep track of the work that I need to do this holidays, and a review of my productivity each day.

I've had enough rest. Most of it has been lounging around on the couch and watching Netflix (which is extremely UN-fulfilling), and playing Minecraft (don't judge, it's actually really fun).

Here is a plan of all the projects/things that I need to get done over the next 3 months.

- Code for at least 2 hours a day
- Collect current macroeconomic data for my Investing/Trading and do detailed research into understanding the factors influencing the currency and commodity markets (EUR/USD and Oil mostly, and potentially the AUD/USD if I have time) for about 2 hours a day
- Read for an hour before bed every night
- Get back into working out (for about 30 mins each day - just to get better posture) (having poor posture is my worst nightmare)

Keeping myself accountable through this journal actually helped a lot during the first semester this year, so hopefully it is just as effective in keeping me on track throughout these holidays.

>> And just to make sure I don't laze around and do nothing for the rest of today, here is what I need to do today [2 hours: coding, 1 hour: Currency Market Study, read before bed] - I will update this tonight and I better have done it all.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2019, 10:59:34 pm »
+1
>> And just to make sure I don't laze around and do nothing for the rest of today, here is what I need to do today [2 hours: coding, 1 hour: Currency Market Study, read before bed] - I will update this tonight and I better have done it all.

Only did an hour of coding and then 30 mins of reading. fuck. So shit. Gonna sleep. Tomorrow MUST be better
productivity = 2/10

brothanathan

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2019, 05:52:42 pm »
+6
Respect for striving to keep yourself accountable mate and remember to not burn yourself out too. Try setting a pomodoro or tomato timer while playing (e.g. 20 mins) if you really need to release your pressures by playing Minecraft. Keep inspiring us to maintain discipline.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:54:42 pm by brothanathan »

Seamus Wong

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2019, 01:58:22 am »
+4
Well, today was good. I have been really burnt out over the past week from studying all year. In the morning, I decided randomly that I should go outside of the house (something I haven't done since school ended) and walk around in the bush, and not focus on anything at all - to cleanse my mind.

it was great. I got back inside and slept, then worked out (for the first time in ages - FEELS SO GOOD BTW, I can't believe I made myself stop). I then began reading a book - Markets and Market Logic (really good for understanding what the price and time data reveals), and I did some coding challenges just to practice my coding and problem solving skills in prep for Uni.

I give myself a 7/10 in terms of productivity for today. I feel like I'm starting to get back into my old work habits, which is good.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2019, 11:51:41 pm »
+3
Awesome day today.
Spent half of the day driving across Melbourne to help a family member move houses. I like driving so it wasn't too bad.

The other half of the day was spent working on what I planned on working on.

Here is what I did:

- Read for about an hour and a half - learning about hash tables and hash functions and then reading some of the sample code on Quantopian and learning about the platform - it is basically a website where you write algorithmic trading strategies, backtest them, and implement them live with fake or real money.
I probably only understood like 1% of what I read. I will continue exploring the site over the holidays.

- Coded for about 2 hours. It feels so satisfying writing programs and having them work.

- Worked out for around 30-45 mins.

Currently debugging some code now.

Productivity = 8/10. Not bad.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2019, 10:16:13 pm »
+5
Pretty meh day today. Didn't get done what I know I should

Coded for 2 and a half hours - wrote two algorithms. One of them only returns the correct output for some cases, and for others it doesn't, so I'll have to fix that tomorrow morning.
watched Netflix for 1.5 hours and played minecraft for 2 hours - not very productive at all really. Still fun though. I probably could've halved the amount of time spent on each though and then I would've had time to do the reading and economic research that I needed to do.

My cat vomited a leaf up and then vomited up its dinner 2 hours later, so that was kinda stressful. Hopefully it isn't sick. So far it looks fine.

I'm gonna workout now for half an hour then eat and sleep.

Productivity = 4/10. Really should've got more done today.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2019, 10:26:33 am »
+3
What sort of coding do you do (totally ignorant re: coding so this in itself might be a weird question lol)?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:34 pm »
+3
What sort of coding do you do (totally ignorant re: coding so this in itself might be a weird question lol)?

I just do problems on a website called 'leetcode'. They are sort of like puzzles that you have to solve.
I am also learning about how to program a Trading algorithm to buy and sell currency in the Foreign Exchange Market.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2019, 09:28:34 am »
+15
ATAR RESULTS!!!!

Okay, so I was hoping for a 97 at the start of the year but then after exams I felt like I would only get a 93 due to how poorly I thought I went.
I looked at the score and I absolutely freaked.
97.65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I legit couldn't believe it. I know it's just a number and it's not the be all end all, but it was just so good to finally know that my efforts where actually worth it.

So yeah, that's the end of my VCE Journey.

If ur a year 11 this year, my advice is to just study consistently throughout the entire year. Take breaks when necessary and just make sure that when exam time comes, you put in even more effort, cos it's the exams that really count. And ask your teachers a shit load of questions

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2019, 09:39:59 am »
+7
Awesome job, Seamus! That's amazing!
So happy for you!
 ;D  ;D ;D

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2019, 10:58:49 am »
+5
Congratulations on your amazing result!
Good luck for next year!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2019, 11:15:58 am »
+5
ATAR RESULTS!!!!

Okay, so I was hoping for a 97 at the start of the year but then after exams I felt like I would only get a 93 due to how poorly I thought I went.
I looked at the score and I absolutely freaked.
97.65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I legit couldn't believe it. I know it's just a number and it's not the be all end all, but it was just so good to finally know that my efforts where actually worth it.

So yeah, that's the end of my VCE Journey.

If ur a year 11 this year, my advice is to just study consistently throughout the entire year. Take breaks when necessary and just make sure that when exam time comes, you put in even more effort, cos it's the exams that really count. And ask your teachers a shit load of questions

Really great to hear - congratulations. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2019, 11:21:29 am »
+6
Congratulations! Well done and good luck for next year! :)

And ask your teachers a shit load of questions
Absolutely.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2019, 11:25:42 am »
+6
Congratulations!!

It's great to see that your efforts have paid off and been reflected in your results!

The fact that the ATAR isn't everything shouldn't stop you from celebrating :D

eemmaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2019, 04:42:36 pm »
+5
Congratulations, that's absolutely amazing!