Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 10:04:02 pm

Author Topic: where are you all up to in methods 3/4?  (Read 2304 times)  Share 

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
where are you all up to in methods 3/4?
« on: April 07, 2020, 07:06:00 pm »
hello everyone,

i was just wondering what topics you guys are up to? my school uses the cambridge textbook and we have finished up to chp 6 (circular functions) and are doing chp 7 on our own. however, we got a planner at the start of the year that said we would have started calculus by now?

where are you guys at? how are you all finding it? for someone who found 1/2 pretty easy, i definitely think that 3/4 is a big step up!
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
Re: where are you all up to in methods 3/4?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 07:20:20 pm »
I have finished the entire book lol
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 08:03:07 pm »
I have finished the entire book lol

Wow that's dedication! What did you find the hardest?

I envy people who can go ahead and teach themselves new content, it is a skill that I do not have!
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:31:49 pm »
+3
hello everyone,

i was just wondering what topics you guys are up to? my school uses the cambridge textbook and we have finished up to chp 6 (circular functions) and are doing chp 7 on our own. however, we got a planner at the start of the year that said we would have started calculus by now?

where are you guys at? how are you all finding it? for someone who found 1/2 pretty easy, i definitely think that 3/4 is a big step up!

My school is going to start chapter 9 when we get back! (Chapter 7 and 8 were our holiday homework). Go Cambridge!! ;D

I find Methods 3/4 to be much easier than 1/2? (Complete opposite of you🤣). I'm not sure what it is, but something has definitely clicked and compared to last year, this is easier to understand/do in general. I like how the subject is really straightforward and in a sense, not trying to completely trick you? (*cough* further *cough*).

How are you finding the content?  :D

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 09:06:34 pm »
Wow that's dedication! What did you find the hardest?

I envy people who can go ahead and teach themselves new content, it is a skill that I do not have!

Tbh I had a private tutor over the school holidays.

Anyways, the hardest topic for me probably was probably Normal Distribution or Sampling. I found Normal Distribution hard simply cuz it was so new and found Sampling hard cuz I kept getting mixed up between different methods to solve probabilities.

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 09:14:17 pm »
+1
My school is going to start chapter 9 when we get back! (Chapter 7 and 8 were our holiday homework). Go Cambridge!! ;D

I find Methods 3/4 to be much easier than 1/2? (Complete opposite of you🤣). I'm not sure what it is, but something has definitely clicked and compared to last year, this is easier to understand/do in general. I like how the subject is really straightforward and in a sense, not trying to completely trick you? (*cough* further *cough*).

How are you finding the content?  :D

Ok, so we are up to the same part! I'm glad that methods is clicking with you (I wish I could relate). I'm pretty sure this is due to my teacher and some interruptions. I do like the straightforwardness but there are a couple of little things that I really don't understand :( I enjoy methods a lot when I understand it, but this year I have been lacking motivation :'(

Further questions really do try and trick you, any tips would be appreciated!
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 09:16:02 pm »
Tbh I had a private tutor over the school holidays.

Anyways, the hardest topic for me probably was probably Normal Distribution or Sampling. I found Normal Distribution hard simply cuz it was so new and found Sampling hard cuz I kept getting mixed up between different methods to solve probabilities.

That gives me some hope as I am pretty sure I have covered the basics of normal distribution in further! Do you think that a tutor helps? I am thinking of possibly getting one due to the coronavirus situation and I have had a little bit of trouble with my teacher.
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 10:25:31 pm »
That gives me some hope as I am pretty sure I have covered the basics of normal distribution in further! Do you think that a tutor helps? I am thinking of possibly getting one due to the coronavirus situation and I have had a little bit of trouble with my teacher.

You should only get a tutor if you are actually struggling with the concepts or think you might struggle with them.

Tbh you shouldn't struggle if you thoroughly went through methods 1/2 as the main difference between 1/2 and 3/4 is the difficulty of application/exam questions and Probability (which isn't too hard).

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 10:21:12 am »
+1
Ok, so we are up to the same part! I'm glad that methods is clicking with you (I wish I could relate). I'm pretty sure this is due to my teacher and some interruptions. I do like the straightforwardness but there are a couple of little things that I really don't understand :( I enjoy methods a lot when I understand it, but this year I have been lacking motivation :'(

Further questions really do try and trick you, any tips would be appreciated!

*Insert a picture of Ashmi in a cheerleader outfit furiously moving her pom-poms*
YOU CAN DO IT!! I'm super impressed already that you are doing two maths and I'm absolutely positive that you will do amazing in both! ;D (Let's get that motivation 8))

For Further, always have a highlighter. Like seriously just highlight any keyword that might stuff you up, whether it be a unit, key on a stem/leaf plot, or anything very minor. Take your time when solving a question, and never skip any small details (or they will come to bite you in the back later). Know your CAS inside out and do plenty of practise questions ;D. (If you look on the Further forums, I've made a mini-guide that might be able to help you out~) ;)

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 11:07:13 am »
+1
*Insert a picture of Ashmi in a cheerleader outfit furiously moving her pom-poms*
YOU CAN DO IT!! I'm super impressed already that you are doing two maths and I'm absolutely positive that you will do amazing in both! ;D (Let's get that motivation 8))

For Further, always have a highlighter. Like seriously just highlight any keyword that might stuff you up, whether it be a unit, key on a stem/leaf plot, or anything very minor. Take your time when solving a question, and never skip any small details (or they will come to bite you in the back later). Know your CAS inside out and do plenty of practise questions ;D. (If you look on the Further forums, I've made a mini-guide that might be able to help you out~) ;)

Aww, thanks for the support! I will definitely be taking those further tips with me ;D ;D
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 11:54:37 am »
We're about to start chapter 6! Are we behind or something? And we didn't do integral calculus last year... should I be trying to go ahead on my own or will my class probably be able to manage it?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 12:30:38 pm »
We're about to start chapter 6! Are we behind or something? And we didn't do integral calculus last year... should I be trying to go ahead on my own or will my class probably be able to manage it?

Don't worry. Chapter 7 and 8 you will be able to do easily, as it is just revision and some extra function stuff. In terms of integral calculus, at my school we only did indefinite polynomials and nothing else in 1/2. And as exams are going to be later you have more time to do it with school. Personally, I would go ahead with things that you have covered in 1/2 (most of chp6) but maybe wait until your school goes over things that you haven't before. If you want to go ahead, I find YouTube videos very good to help to explain new topics :)
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 12:32:04 pm »

Definitely behind

I reckon you should start going ahead of the class otherwise you won't have enough time to do enough practice exams.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 10:25:37 am »
Definitely behind

I reckon you should start going ahead of the class otherwise you won't have enough time to do enough practice exams.
Thanks, probably will do.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 05:33:35 pm »
Reviving this thread!

Where is everyone up to now? My school has completely finished Unit 3 and completed the large application SAC.

We are just over halfway with integration, just covered integration by recognition.

I'd love to see where other schools are up to :)
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !