Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:19:45 am

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 662797 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #2235 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:06 am »
+2
Thank you so much you actual genius! I figured it out and I'm so proud.

I also have another question:

If the sums of the first three terms of an AP and a GP are equal and non-zero, the common difference of the AP and the common ratio of the GP are equal and the ratio of the AM to the GM is 1:-2, find the common ratio of the GP. Also, find the relationship between their first terms.

So far I've just defined all the terms and apparently you need to solve them simultaneously but not sure how to do that.
I can look at this one tomorrow later today if you want but mind if I grab the final answer off you so I know what to aim for?

spnmox

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2236 on: March 16, 2019, 11:49:59 am »
I can look at this one tomorrow later today if you want but mind if I grab the final answer off you so I know what to aim for?

Sure:
d=-1/2, 4A-G=2
d=-2, A-G=2

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2237 on: March 16, 2019, 01:03:59 pm »
+3
Note that the actual words "AM" and "GM" are not a part of the HSC syllabus. Technically they should not be used unless they have been defined. (Note that harder 3U inequalities make students prove these results without actually explaining what they are.)

The question is also slightly ambiguous in that they should mention the AM of the terms in the A.P., and similarly the GM for the terms of the G.P., as opposed to letting the reader assume that for themselves.
\[ \text{To follow the convention of the answers, the common ratio}\\ \text{is also denoted by }d\text{ for this question.} \]
\[ \text{At times like these it helps to be a bit cleverer.}\\ \text{Let the first three terms in the AP be }\boxed{a-d, \, a, \, a+d} \\ \text{and the first three terms in the GP be }\boxed{\frac{b}{d}, \, b, \, bd}.\]
\[ \text{The ratio of the AM and GM here tell us that}\\ \begin{align*} \frac{\frac{(a-d)+a+(a+d)}3}{\sqrt[3]{\left(\frac{b}{d}\right) b (bd)}} &= -\frac12\\ \therefore \frac{a}{b} &= -\frac12\\ b&=-2a \end{align*} \]
\[ \text{The sum of the terms in the AP and GP being the same tell us that} \\ 3a = b \left( \frac{1}{k}+ 1 + k \right).\]
Pretty much everything is set up from here. You'll be able to get the two values of \(d\) that you've stated. Then for, say, the case of \(d=-\frac12\), if you let \(A = a-k\) and \(G = \frac{b}{k}\) you should be able to reach that relationship you have stated, using simultaneous equations.

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #2238 on: March 19, 2019, 05:26:38 pm »
Hello,
I am stuck on an integration question which I have partially done. Can anyone please help me out, especially with the second part? Thanks :)
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2239 on: March 19, 2019, 06:03:05 pm »
Hello,
I am stuck on an integration question which I have partially done. Can anyone please help me out, especially with the second part? Thanks :)

\[ \text{Using the recurrence, we thus have}\\ \begin{align*}\int_0^1 x^4\sqrt{1-x^2}\,dx&= I_4\\ &= \frac{3}{6}I_2\\ &= \frac{3}{6} \, \frac{1}{4} I_0\\ &= \frac18 \int_0^1 \sqrt{1-x^2}\,dx\\ &= \frac18 \times \frac\pi4 \tag{1/4 area of a circle with radius 1}\\ &= \frac\pi{32} \end{align*}\]
Haven't checked your working for the first part but it should be right given that you got the right answer.

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2240 on: March 19, 2019, 06:20:36 pm »
Thanks for the help! :)

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2241 on: March 19, 2019, 06:40:30 pm »
Hi,
Could you help me with a graphing question attached?
I just don't understand why when 1/x is multiplied by f(x)approaching y= infinity, when x approaches infinity on the new graph, the new graph doesn't approach y=0?
Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2242 on: March 19, 2019, 06:48:46 pm »
Hi,
Could you help me with a graphing question attached?
I just don't understand why when 1/x is multiplied by f(x)approaching y= infinity, when x approaches infinity on the new graph, the new graph doesn't approach y=0?
Thanks
It is not true to assume things like \( \infty\times 0 = 0\), or that \( \frac{\infty}{\infty} = 0\).
\[ \text{For this particular graph, it is not too hard to see why.}\\ \text{The reason is because }f(x)\text{ is a cubic.} \]
More specifically, you could guess that \( f(x) = (x+3)(x-1)^2\). But the following explanation shows that for any cubic \(f(x) = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d\), as \(x\to \infty\), \(y\to \infty\) as well.
\[\text{If we take any cubic } f(x) = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d\\ \text{Then }f(x) \times \frac{1}{x} = ax^2+bx+c+\frac{d}{x}. \]
\[ \text{As }x\to \infty,\\ \text{whilst it is certainly true that }\frac{d}{x}\to 0,\\ \text{the terms }ax^2\text{ and }bx\text{ still tend to }\infty\text{ as well.}\]
\[ \text{And the sum of something tending to infinity, plus another tending to infinity,}\\ \text{plus of course the constant and the 0 term}\\ \text{should still also tend to infinity, as required.}\]
Note that this explanation can be generalised for all polynomials with degree at least 2. If you multiplied something linear, i.e. \(f(x)=ax+b\) to \(\frac1x\), then this does not happen. But for any higher powers, this will always be the case.

Note also that if we multiplied \(f(x) = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d\) to \( \frac{1}{x^3}\), then as \(x\to \infty\), \(y \to a\). And if we multiply \(f(x)\) to \( \frac{1}{x^n}\), where \(n > 3\), then \(y\to 0\).

If you are genuinely interested in some intuition behind why
The reason more or less is because \(x^3\) grows at a much more significant rate than \(x\) grows. Therefore \(x^3\) grows much faster than \( \frac{1}{x}\) actually decays.

The growth of \(x^3\) is said to dominate the decay of \( \frac{1}{x} \). Hence as \(x\to \infty\), \(y\to \infty\) as well.

Aaron Lillis

• Adventurer
« Reply #2243 on: March 20, 2019, 06:52:34 am »
Hey guyssss, im stuck on these integration questions, could someone please help me?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2244 on: March 20, 2019, 08:37:23 am »
+1
Hey guyssss, im stuck on these integration questions, could someone please help me?

In both cases, you need to factor a 3 from the denominator. For example, for the second, you will obtain \( \int_0^{1/3} \frac{dx}{3\sqrt{\frac49-x^2}}\). Did you try this?

Aaron Lillis

• Adventurer
« Reply #2245 on: March 20, 2019, 09:13:40 am »
In both cases, you need to factor a 3 from the denominator. For example, for the second, you will obtain \( \int_0^{1/3} \frac{dx}{3\sqrt{\frac49-x^2}}\). Did you try this?

thanks SO MUCHHHHH Rui.
would you be able to show me the same application on this integral? i tried factoring the (5)^1/2 but im just not getting the integral out.

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2246 on: March 20, 2019, 04:27:33 pm »
Hello,
I have trouble with the question in the link below. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks :)

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #2247 on: March 20, 2019, 05:29:46 pm »

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2248 on: March 20, 2019, 05:32:29 pm »

Hope this helps :)
Don't worry; already did it with 1 page of working. Thanks for the input though :)

goodluck

• Adventurer
« Reply #2249 on: April 08, 2019, 02:50:59 pm »
hey how do you do this one:

h/(x+h) < ln(x+h) - ln(x) <h/x . (it's meant to be greater than and equal to btw)