Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:13 pm

Author Topic: vans' VCE Journal! (Class of 2020)  (Read 3433 times)

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
Re: vans' VCE Journal! (Class of 2020)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 12:12:51 am »
+1
15-02-19

Honestly, the teacher really makes or breaks a good class, right?

Yes.. the teacher can have a massive impact on your attitude to a subject!! :/ can be a blessing or a curse

That's a pity about unproductive class time.... textbook questions can be a good way to consolidate theory but consuming an entire 1.5hr lesson seems a bit excessive :/ My best advice is to regularly check the study design and make sure you're covering whatever AOS dot points these lessons are relevant to (or are meant to be relevant to).. you may need to do this out of class time unfortunately.. but I guess you can afford to do this only having one 3/4!!

15-02-19

How do we then know what to study? Its such a broad term. At least let us know the actors we have to focus on and the case studies that we must analyse in regards to the SAC.

When it comes to what to study I will always stress the importance of the study design, and completing VCAA questions (thoroughly correcting with the examiners' answers/advice). However, sometimes school-assigned SACs can emulate different styles and focus on particular areas based on what you're doing in class, so there is that to consider. Does your school have any past SACs which you can access? I found them very useful in preparing for SACs. Also, I don't know how your school prepares you for SACs but at my school we were always notified a few weeks before the SAC of the relevant dot points we'd be tested on, so I guess my best advice is to go off that type of information? Otherwise, if there's anyone you know who studied the subject/had the teacher last year, maybe you could contact them for advice?

Nevertheless, don't be discouraged; it's only week 3! In fact, I studied a 3/4 in year 11 and there were definitely times where I felt uncertain and out of my depth; it's SO easy to overthink and over-stress when you've only got one 3/4. However, in hindsight - even though my year 11 3/4 didn't actually end up contributing much to my ATAR (10% increment) - I'm glad I did it. I learnt a lot about how VCE works, in a technical sense and also in terms of the way I best study which was really advantageous for year 12. It was a really good learning experience, and if there's one piece of advice I can pass on from it; the extra stressing really wasn't worth it. Make the most of the extra time you can dedicate to the subject as a year 11 but don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Hope some of this advice helps and best of luck! I'm sure things will get easier as you go (:
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

vans

• Adventurer
  • just trying to pass vce lolol
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 01:41:31 pm »
Thank you!

My best advice is to regularly check the study design and make sure you're covering whatever AOS dot points these lessons are relevant to (or are meant to be relevant to).. you may need to do this out of class time unfortunately.. but I guess you can afford to do this only having one 3/4!!

The study design is my favourite thing (:  I've got it annotated and the key terms/skills/definitions in mind. I shall check it often to see if my classes are relevant to it, thanks for the tip! I agree though, there's a lot more time with only one 3/4.

When it comes to what to study I will always stress the importance of the study design, and completing VCAA questions (thoroughly correcting with the examiners' answers/advice). However, sometimes school-assigned SACs can emulate different styles and focus on particular areas based on what you're doing in class, so there is that to consider.

Does your school have any past SACs which you can access? I found them very useful in preparing for SACs. Also, I don't know how your school prepares you for SACs but at my school we were always notified a few weeks before the SAC of the relevant dot points we'd be tested on, so I guess my best advice is to go off that type of information? Otherwise, if there's anyone you know who studied the subject/had the teacher last year, maybe you could contact them for advice?

I've had a look through the 2018 and 2017 past exams and the examiner's reports for both and in all honesty, i think its quite achievable. About the past sacs - I'm not sure if my school has them, but I can always ask around - I'm sure they're somewhere! (: I'm in touch with a recent graduate who did this subject last year and I've gotten advice from him prior to beginning the 3/4. Not too sure if anyone's had this teacher for this particular subject before though, as he hasn't taught it since 2014 at a different school.

Nevertheless, don't be discouraged; it's only week 3! In fact, I studied a 3/4 in year 11 and there were definitely times where I felt uncertain and out of my depth; it's SO easy to overthink and over-stress when you've only got one 3/4. However, in hindsight - even though my year 11 3/4 didn't actually end up contributing much to my ATAR (10% increment) - I'm glad I did it. I learnt a lot about how VCE works, in a technical sense and also in terms of the way I best study which was really advantageous for year 12. It was a really good learning experience, and if there's one piece of advice I can pass on from it; the extra stressing really wasn't worth it. Make the most of the extra time you can dedicate to the subject as a year 11 but don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Hope some of this advice helps and best of luck! I'm sure things will get easier as you go (:

Thank you! I'll keep it all in mind. I'm just really hoping the class goes in more of a positive direction, and that I can make the most of it regardless (: It's my goal to have my 3/4 as one of my better subjects in contribution to my ATAR (I have more faith in this than other subjects hAAHAH) but we'll see how it goes. I wouldn't mind whatever the outcome is.
[VIC] Year 10: Australian and Global Politics 1&2

Year 11: English, Global Politics [Units 3&4], Mathematical Methods [CAS], Chemistry, Japanese, Music Performance

Year 12: English, Mathematical Methods [CAS], Chemistry, Japanese, Music Performance

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 07:09:20 pm »
How've  you been finding Year  12?