Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:37:07 am

Author Topic: The Major Work! Tips from a 2016 survivor :)  (Read 38759 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: The Major Work! Tips from a 2016 survivor :)
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 10:08:51 pm »
+2
Awesome! this had so many tips, thanks so much! im looking at the way women are represented in the male dominated field of historiography! It's very interesting :)
No worries! Glad you found it useful :) That sounds hella interesting! I'd love to hear more about it - why don't ya pop some of your ideas on the debating thread and we can have a bit of a discussion!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 11:41:30 pm »
Can someone PLEASE clarify simply the difference between academic and popular history for me?
I do know I learnt it but now that I'm trying to work it into my project (which is due this wednesday) I'm struggling to adapt and can't remember the clear differences.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 07:58:10 am »
+3
Can someone PLEASE clarify simply the difference between academic and popular history for me?
I do know I learnt it but now that I'm trying to work it into my project (which is due this wednesday) I'm struggling to adapt and can't remember the clear differences.
Public history is "produced outside the academy, either directly addressing a large general audience, or for public, often governmental, purposes” (Curthoys and Hamilton, p8). Public historians wish to provide history that is accessible and easy to understand by everybody. Examples of public history include museums, historical films, radio, television, historical sites, commemorations, and re-enactments. Public historians believe that anyone can write history. Academic historians have degrees/qualifications in history and usually write history books (that aren't often written for the general public).
Hope that helps :)

Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 04:16:36 pm »
+2
Public history is "produced outside the academy, either directly addressing a large general audience, or for public, often governmental, purposes” (Curthoys and Hamilton, p8). Public historians wish to provide history that is accessible and easy to understand by everybody. Examples of public history include museums, historical films, radio, television, historical sites, commemorations, and re-enactments. Public historians believe that anyone can write history. Academic historians have degrees/qualifications in history and usually write history books (that aren't often written for the general public).
Hope that helps :)

Thank you so much finally someone can put it in simple terms lol!
that honestly helps so so much  :)

Calley123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 05:30:02 pm »
Hey Susie,
It's me again! In terms of getting the major work done, how much should you at least aim to get done this summer holidays, especially if you are someone who is focused on other subjects throughout the term. I know everyone goes at a different pace but I feel like I need to set a goal for it.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 06:00:35 pm »
+4
Hey Susie,
It's me again! In terms of getting the major work done, how much should you at least aim to get done this summer holidays, especially if you are someone who is focused on other subjects throughout the term. I know everyone goes at a different pace but I feel like I need to set a goal for it.
Hey!

Short Answer: As much as you can.

Long Answer: There really isn't a set amount that you should aim to get done, beyond just that - getting as much as you can done. I know that isn't the answer that you want, but the thing is the major work is a process, more than a project - at least it was to me. You may be able to bang out an entire essay these holidays (as I did!), but I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that the essay that you write in the holidays will drastically change later in the year. At this point in year 12, you just don't have the knowledge and skills yet - and that is not in any way a dig by the way, just that at this point, you have only really been exposed to the basics, as you move forward, your understanding will expand exponentially, and that will be reflected in the later drafts of your major work. You may even completely change your question, like I and 3/4 of my class did at the beginning of next year (hell I changed mine right before the term 1 holidays!). 

In terms of goal setting, it would be a good idea to focus on research - maybe "read x book on x topic" or "find x amount of readings on this concept". If are like me and you write as you go, maybe try and have a complete first draft, with the knowledge (and willingness) that you will probably end up scraping some if not all of the essay down the track.

Hope this helps! Remember that we'll all be here during the holidays as well if you need anything :)

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Calley123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:18 pm »
Hey!

Short Answer: As much as you can.

Long Answer: There really isn't a set amount that you should aim to get done, beyond just that - getting as much as you can done. I know that isn't the answer that you want, but the thing is the major work is a process, more than a project - at least it was to me. You may be able to bang out an entire essay these holidays (as I did!), but I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that the essay that you write in the holidays will drastically change later in the year. At this point in year 12, you just don't have the knowledge and skills yet - and that is not in any way a dig by the way, just that at this point, you have only really been exposed to the basics, as you move forward, your understanding will expand exponentially, and that will be reflected in the later drafts of your major work. You may even completely change your question, like I and 3/4 of my class did at the beginning of next year (hell I changed mine right before the term 1 holidays!). 

In terms of goal setting, it would be a good idea to focus on research - maybe "read x book on x topic" or "find x amount of readings on this concept". If are like me and you write as you go, maybe try and have a complete first draft, with the knowledge (and willingness) that you will probably end up scraping some if not all of the essay down the track.

Hope this helps! Remember that we'll all be here during the holidays as well if you need anything :)

Susie
Thank you :)

Calley123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 01:36:32 pm »
+2
Hey Susie,
I know I'm in the wrong subject but I wanted to thank you for sharing your source analysis tips since i received 8/10 ( highest I have gotten) in that section  in my first assessment!
Thanks again
:)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 01:54:20 pm »
Hey Susie,
I know I'm in the wrong subject but I wanted to thank you for sharing your source analysis tips since i received 8/10 ( highest I have gotten) in that section  in my first assessment!
Thanks again
:)
Woohoo! Congratulations :D Fantastic work, so glad I could help :)

amyyyyyy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 02:05:48 pm »
Hello  :D
I am currently working on my proposal for extenstion history. I am doing the topic of counterfactural history and its value in studying and understanding history.   I want to argue that counterfactural history can have allow historians to gain a greater understanding if counterfactural claims are made on the basis of evidence and fact. However I am a bit unsure as to how to phrase my question, currently I have “An evaluation of counterfactualism in the study of history” but I feel like this may be too broad.

If you could give me any help that would be great :)
Thanks

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2018, 12:15:12 am »
+2
Hello  :D
I am currently working on my proposal for extenstion history. I am doing the topic of counterfactural history and its value in studying and understanding history.   I want to argue that counterfactural history can have allow historians to gain a greater understanding if counterfactural claims are made on the basis of evidence and fact. However I am a bit unsure as to how to phrase my question, currently I have “An evaluation of counterfactualism in the study of history” but I feel like this may be too broad.

If you could give me any help that would be great :)
Thanks
Hey there,
Welcome to ATAR Notes!

There was a girl who was in the year group before me that did counterfactual history. From what I remember, I think her question was something along the lines of "To what extent does counterfactualism benefit historiography?" and focused about the construction of history throughout her essay. I think your original phrasing of the question is fine. If you want to explore the different viewpoints and argue your point, I would probably suggest to have 'An analysis of...' question. My question was 'An analysis of history-based video games as a tool for historical enquiry' so it was broad enough for me to talk about purpose, methodology and construction.

Hope this helps!

P.S. For future reference, please post your questions in the History Extension Question Thread since this thread hasn't been active for a while :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

sruthi.sajeev

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 11:48:22 am »
Hi!
When you say that concept driven topic ideas look at historiography more generally, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Currently, my topic is related to film and its contribution to the debate between post-modernist and scientific historiography. Do you think that I should narrow down my question or add something to it?

Thxx

P.S Your advice is very helpful!

allengeorgia77

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 01:38:50 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for the tips and advice! Wish I had come across this earlier, as I am a little over a month out from handing in my project, but nevertheless grateful for the help! I was just wondering if you were able or willing to read a final draft and give any advice? If not that's totally fine :) thanks for the post once again!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 02:38:07 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for the tips and advice! Wish I had come across this earlier, as I am a little over a month out from handing in my project, but nevertheless grateful for the help! I was just wondering if you were able or willing to read a final draft and give any advice? If not that's totally fine :) thanks for the post once again!

Hey, welcome to AN!!  :D

If you post your essay here I (or someone else) may be able to look over it and give you some feedback!  :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2020, 09:40:26 pm »
+3
Okay, so I am not sure if this forum is still running but I'm torn between history extension and English extension 2. I am leaning more towards history but am unsure. Do you have any tips for making that decision or seeing if the history extension course is right for me?
Hey,
Welcome to the forums!! This thread is definitely still running!  :)

Here are some articles that might help:
- What is history extension? A guide for subject selection
- Is History Extension the right course for you?
- Is English Extension 2 for you?

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Hope this helps!!  :D