Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:58:23 am

Author Topic: SUBJECT SELECTION DUE IN A FEW HOURS FOR ENGLISH PLS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2180 times)  Share 

L0K4

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I am in year 10 and I have been debating on whether I should do english or eng lang. For context my other subjects are: french, methods, spesh, bio 3/4 and chem.

I disklike reading books, as I find it very tedious and hard to understand (not a very avid reader). However, I have heard that english is generally more easier and since I am doing very hard subjects I thought it might be better, as I am looking for anything that can help me, cause im trying to get 99.90 for that melbourne uni scholarship.

On the other hand for eng lang, i have looked at the exam and study design and have concluded that this subject is more for me as I am more analytical (but this might not be 100% if i actually take the subject).

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
If you feel as though English Language would better suit you based on your research, that seems like the way to go to me.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

L0K4

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
If you feel as though English Language would better suit you based on your research, that seems like the way to go to me.

Thanks for the advice, but is mainstream generall easier because my friends have told me that all of my subjects are too hard and eng lang requires a lot of memorisation and arguable therefore time, which i need desperately for my other subjects.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Thanks for the advice, but is mainstream generall easier because my friends have told me that all of my subjects are too hard and eng lang requires a lot of memorisation and arguable therefore time, which i need desperately for my other subjects.

I don't think either is inherently easier or more time-consuming than the other - it's very subjective and depends on the individual.

For example, I did EngLang and think I probably found it less time-consuming than I would have found English, but I'm sure other students are the exact opposite.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Duck Tails

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +40
Hey L0K4,

Welcome to the forum!

I can't really offer you much as I'm in the same boat as you, but Joseph41's advice is definitely worth taking on since he's actually done EngLang.

My understanding is that mainstream english is very much same-same as what you've been doing for the past few years in english, just at a higher standard. You will have to read 4? texts in english, which, seeing as you're not an avid reader, probably isn't up your alley.

If you're down with doing stuff similar to what you're doing now, go with mainstream. If you want something different, go with EngLang.

Think about it this way; mainstream english may be 'easier', but you may not be as engaged. EngLang might be 'harder', but if you enjoy it, you're more likely to do well.

Best of luck!
KLD Class of 2022
VCE 2021: Biology [41], Religion and Society [34]
2022: Chemistry, Methods, Revolutions, English Language