Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:31:41 pm

Author Topic: Class of 2021 Math Club  (Read 15365 times)

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
Re: Class of 2021 Math Club
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2019, 11:45:39 pm »
General maths? As in you're doing year 11 general maths in year 10?
Methods and General/Further aren't that related besides graphs and relations. I personally, back in year 11, found general to be easy, but methods was difficult.

'I have been told its a good choice as its one less subject' isn't really a good thought to have. I spent the most time in general fine-tuning and understanding the concept to perfection because of all the silly mistakes I made.

I suggest you talk to your subject counsellor for more details, but for my two cents, you should choose methods if you're actually capable of doing it (take into consideration that you also did mention that you struggle with maths). Look into the methods 1/2 study design for synopsis.

What do you want to do in uni? perhaps look into the prerequisites as many need at least 25 in methods.

my school is quite weird so I am doing year 10 general. the year 10 math are split into 3 classes Foundation; basically you are planning to ditch math and this is the last compulsory year and you basically budge.
general; you go over previously learnt content but more in depth
Methods; new content and quite tricky. I know a few people struggling in math methods and a few who find it great.

I am looking towards healthcare, as in I am aiming high (doctor, or even higher, and if I don't make it I can always fall back to nursing)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2019, 02:10:21 pm »
Hey guys! assuming this the right place to post this. I am in year 10 this year and doing general mathematics and feel I have made a mistake and should of done methods. Math isn't my best subject, I struggle quite a bit, I am finding the content easy as and feel like I am wasting what I am capable of. I have been told its a good choice as its one less subject I don't have to worry about but I want to be prepared and knowledgable for my future endeavours. Does General Mathematics year 10 get harder? should I try to move to methods? I am really torn and I have missed the deadline but I feel I can try to move if I am finding it easy as.
my school is quite weird so I am doing year 10 general. the year 10 math are split into 3 classes Foundation; basically you are planning to ditch math and this is the last compulsory year and you basically budge.
Methods; new content and quite tricky. I know a few people struggling in math methods and a few who find it great.

I am looking towards healthcare, as in I am aiming high (doctor, or even higher, and if I don't make it I can always fall back to nursing)
Seeing as Year 10 doesn't technically count towards VCE, I'd still probably talk to your maths teacher to see if you would be capable of doing the Year 10 Methods stream and can switch into the Methods stream next semester for a good foundation* and to test the waters. If you struggle too much, either switch back to General Year 10 or, if you miss the cut off date, then you'll have to stick it out for one semester and take General Maths U1/2 next year. Just be aware that many nursing, health care and common back up plans for people who miss out on undergrad med usually need some form of maths at the Year 11/12 stages, sometimes being Methods, sometimes not, so be wary of any prereqs your back up plans need. (I talked about how to check prereqs on another of your posts.)

*This isn't 100% a must have for VCE Methods, but would be preferable to take if you're sure you want to study Methods later on. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 03:55:49 pm »

What uni do you have in mind? I'm pretty sure only monash or melb uni need a prereq of methods for their science courses (you might need to double check on this).
If methods doesn't work out for you, you can always go to other uni without methods. Deakin biomed only needs an english prerequisite for example