Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 09:21:33 am

Author Topic: can someone mark my extended response on the GAS Model please  (Read 1168 times)  Share 

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
hey guys

basically i just wanted feedback on my extended response scenario i did on the GAS Model so would be appreciated if feedback was given: I wrote the scenario + the question + my response . In terms of feedback i'm looking for mostly these things.

- what i did well
- what areas i need to improve in
- sentence structure (if i am writing in the correct format and using the write terms in my response)
- and also since this is out of 10 can you tell me how much would i get out of 10 please thank you.

And also feel free to add anything else that i may have missed

What are the three stages (including sub-stages) of the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS)? Explain what happens in each stage when an individual confronts a stressful situation. Justify within your answer why this is a biological explanation of the stress response. (10 Marks)

My Response

The General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS) consists of 3 stages. The first stage is the alarm-reaction stage. In this stage there are 2 substages (shock and countershock). When an individual enters the shock stage of the GAS model, they feel overwhelmed and they do not have that much resistance or strength within us to help deal with the stressor thus our body temperature and blood pressure levels drop.Once we have processed the situation our body goes into fight-flight-freeze mode which basically makes our body more mobilised and able to fight with the stressor. Having said that this leads to the sympathetic nervous system being activated as you're in a higher state of arousal and this state allows your fight-flight and freeze response to be activated. If the stressor still continues that individual will move onto the second stage of the GAS model which is the resistance stage. In this stage the body is fighting with the stressor and the stress hormone cortisol is increased to energise the body to help deal with the stressor. However this leaves the individual’s immune system to be left unguarded as the body is too busy fighting the stressor so the person can catch a mild flu and cough during this stage. The third and final stage is the exhaustion stage. In this stage the individual’s body has been depleted and the body has run out of resources to help deal with the stressor. The individual is not able to cope with the stressor at that point since their body has been constantly fighting the stressor for a long period of time making the body system have been left unguarded for a prolonged period of time. This is a biological explanation of stress response as everyone goes through this process and it is a similar response is occured in each individual when they are dealing with a stressor.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: can someone mark my extended response on the GAS Model please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:58:49 am »
+4
Hi amanaazim. I hope you're well.

In this quote below, I made changes directly to your response with the red writing. Also, most of this feedback I have provided has been based off what my teacher has said we should include in every GAS response question.

The General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS) It would be good to define GAS as 'a three stage physiological response to a stressor'consists of 3 stages. The first stage is the alarm-reaction stage. In this stage there are 2 substages (shock and countershock). When an individual enters the shock stage of the GAS model, this is when they first become aware of the stressor they feel overwhelmed and they do not have that much resistance  this is goodor strength within us to help deal with the stressor thus our body temperature and blood pressure levels dropGood examples to describe what constitutes the shock stage. You should say that in counter-shock... and then talk about what happens in it so that you are labelling which stage you are talking aboutOnce we have processed the situation our body goes into fight-flight-freeze mode which basically makes our body more mobilised and able to fight with the stressor. Having said that this leads to the sympathetic nervous system being activated as you're in a higher state of arousal and this state allows your fight-flight and freeze response to be activated. In this green part, it would be better to say that the sympathetic nervous system is activated, which then activates the fight-flight-freeze response. You should also say that adrenaline and noradrenaline is released here. If the stressor still continues the individual will move onto the second stage of the GAS model which is the resistance stage. In this stage the body is fighting with the stressor It would be better to say that the individual is persisting with the stressor because in the alarm reaction stage, the individual is fighting as well. You should also say that the level of resistance to the stressor increases above normal level and the stress hormone cortisol is increased to energise the body to help deal with the stressor. Since there is a high level of cortisol in the body for a prolonged period of time...However this leaves the individual’s immune system to be left unguarded suppressed immune system to make is concise as the body is too busy fighting the stressor so the person can catch a mild flu and cough during this stage. The third and final stage is the exhaustion stage. In this stage the individual’s body's resourceshave been depleted and the body has run out of resources to help deal with the stressor. The level of resistance to the stressor has decreased below the normal level of resistance and individual is not able to cope with the stressor at that point Since their body has been constantly fighting the stressor for a long period of time making so the body's immune system has been left unguarded suppressed for a prolonged period of time. This is a biological explanation of stress response as everyone goes through this process and it is a similar response is occured in each individual it is non-specific when they are dealing with a stressor.You can also say that it undergoes physiological responses such as the sympathetic nervous system being activated, a high level of cortisol released for a prolonged period of time to provide evidence for why it is a biological explanation

What you did well:
I liked the level of detail you provided in your extended response particularly with stating the key points of each stage. I also like how you talked about the level of cortisol and how it impacts the immune system as this sort of leads into the exhaustion stage.

What you can improve on:
My teacher said that we should focus on three things when talking about the GAS model. We should state what is released in each stage (that is, adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol), the level of resistance (to the stressor) relative to the normal level and what happens during that stage, that is the key characteristics such as the sympathetic nervous system being activated. You've stated the key characteristics quite well such as the sympathetic nervous system being activated but I think you should also talk about the level of resistance to the stressor in each stage to show the progression of the resistance as the individual undergoes the stages. This will also allow you to delve into more detail, since this is a 10 marker.
Also, it would be a good idea to define the GAS model as ‘a three-stage physiological response to a stressor’ and this also links in with the question component about why it is a biological explanation of stress where you can expand upon this definition. Our teachers have told us to use the IDEELS approach when answering questions and since this is a 10 marker, where a high level of detail is required, we should especially define the key terms in the question stem, which is the GAS Model. Our teachers have told us to define the key terms in the question stem ALWAYS and they always stress it to us. They also took a mark off my SAC for not defining a key term so it is important.
I: Identify key terms
D: Define
E: Explain using
E: Examples
L: Linked to the scenario

I hope this helped. Also, the marking might have been bit picky but I'm just marking it based off what my teachers would expect in SACs and other assessments. Overall, you have a pretty good understanding of the GAS model!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:22:27 am by Evolio »

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: can someone mark my extended response on the GAS Model please
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:01:53 pm »
hey evolio. thank you so much for your help. i really understood how to fix my responses. also out of 10 how much would you give me and also can you check my other responses that i put up on the feed. One is about stress and one is about nervous system functioning. It is on the forum and the titles are stress and nervous system functioning.

Thank you.