Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:26:13 am

Author Topic: Is it advisable to do 10 units?  (Read 19660 times)

Tino_BCP

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Is it advisable to do 10 units?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 08:31:25 pm »
I personally did 11 units then dropped ext maths and have been enjoying it alot more. Been able to work on my other subjects and improve my marks. That being said i've also seen people drop to 10 units and waste their time. So depends on what kind of person you are.

raylmao

• Adventurer
  • et tu, brute?
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 07:10:01 pm »
Hiii! I'm still in prelim but I'm dropping down to 11 units... I feel like it's better to allocate more time to more favourable subjects than having a 'backup' subject. I just found that students in the past who had a backup subject generally didn't have much interest in it, so it really didn't do anything for them in terms of lifting their ATAR.

The subjects I'm strongly considering next year are:
English advanced
English Extension 1
English Extension 2
Modern History
History Extension
Legal
Economics
2018 HSC:
3U English, Modern History, History Extension, Legal Studies, Economics.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »
+3
I personally did 11 units then dropped ext maths and have been enjoying it alot more. Been able to work on my other subjects and improve my marks. That being said i've also seen people drop to 10 units and waste their time. So depends on what kind of person you are.

dropping ext? best decision ever. i could focus on other subjects, rather than spending so much time on maths, and now enjoy my other subjects a whole lot more because i'm able to put time into them! i'm glad you feel the same :-)

Hiii! I'm still in prelim but I'm dropping down to 11 units... I feel like it's better to allocate more time to more favourable subjects than having a 'backup' subject. I just found that students in the past who had a backup subject generally didn't have much interest in it, so it really didn't do anything for them in terms of lifting their ATAR.

The subjects I'm strongly considering next year are:
English advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, History Extension, Legal, Economics

100%. allocating time for better, more enjoyable subjects is so much better (i really don't like a lot of my subjects), and you definitely have more time to focus on them.

i see you're choosing two major work subjects here; a word of advice on them, please please please please start both of them as early as possible!!!!!! i can't stress this enough, especially with history extension because there is an awful lot of stuff covered in class, and pretty much everything is examinable (even the tiniest dot point (i'm looking at you too, legal)) and get an idea for your history project down by the end of this year. my biggest regret was not starting earlier, and that led to me dropping the subject because it was too overwhelming. there is so much research involved and you don't realise until you start it. this isn't to turn you off choosing it, just a bit of a heads up :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

raylmao

• Adventurer
  • et tu, brute?
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 11:45:02 pm »
100%. allocating time for better, more enjoyable subjects is so much better (i really don't like a lot of my subjects), and you definitely have more time to focus on them.

i see you're choosing two major work subjects here; a word of advice on them, please please please please start both of them as early as possible!!!!!! i can't stress this enough, especially with history extension because there is an awful lot of stuff covered in class, and pretty much everything is examinable (even the tiniest dot point (i'm looking at you too, legal)) and get an idea for your history project down by the end of this year. my biggest regret was not starting earlier, and that led to me dropping the subject because it was too overwhelming. there is so much research involved and you don't realise until you start it. this isn't to turn you off choosing it, just a bit of a heads up :-)

haha thank you for the wise advice! as for my historical investigation, my teacher and I have worked really closely this year and have started planning my major work... she's the best history teacher ever aha! as for ee2, I'm still unsure of what medium I want to do. I was highly interested in doing a critical thesis sorta thing... but I feel as if a lot of marks could be lost in that field. I've also been interested in film but I'm a little torn at the moment :/ Irrespective, they're both subjects I have a high interest for, and I've always wanted to do English in university since the beginning of high school, so I can see them not acting so much as a 'burden.'

Also, legal. I really dislike legal... Can't get rid of it, however :(
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:37:32 am by jamonwindeyer »
2018 HSC:

raylmao

• Adventurer
  • et tu, brute?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 11:46:38 pm »
It didn't even quote properly lol... don't know the ins and outs yet !!!!!
2018 HSC:

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 12:37:47 am »
+2
It didn't even quote properly lol... don't know the ins and outs yet !!!!!

Fixed it for you - No stress! ;D

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 04:19:12 pm »
I'm thinking of dropping a subject, which would leave me to 10 units. What's it like? Is it good? I need advice from those who did 10 units in year 12, or any advise from others! Thanks!

Hey! So I was in a similar situation. I started prelim with 14 units, and dropped business studies quite early on. I then did 12 units (including ancient history accelerated) and after I had finished that, was left with 10 units. Just after half yearlies I was getting upset at how much effort I was putting into french (probably 40% of my total study time) and it was my worst result by 10%. In the end I dropped to 8 units, 3 english, 3 maths and 2 economics. The amount of time I gained and stress I lost was incredible.  Coming to the end of the year, I can definitely say it was better to drop it and I'd advise doing a smaller number of units as you have more time, and also wont procrastinate study for a subject because you know it will count!!

hope this helps! x