Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:33:14 am

Author Topic: Kris' wild (and incredibly scary) ride towards the HSC!  (Read 5152 times)

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
Kris' wild (and incredibly scary) ride towards the HSC!
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:58:27 pm »
+9
Hey all!
I'm just a dude named Kris (yes, with a k, because I'm weird like that), and I decided what better way to procrastinate than reveal my long and stressful journey of HSC  ;D.
So basically from K-10 I never really did any work. I was oblivious to school and didn't understand anything. It wasn't until the end of year 10 until I decided I might have to sort my life out.
Going into year 11 was real struggle for me, failing to have the fundamental knowledge everyone around me had. Though, I began to push and improve.

I go to a 250ish ranked public high school (not the greatest I know), and the subjects I am currently undertaking (and my ranks up to date) are:
- Advanced English (11/89)
- 2u Maths (14/84)
- Physics (3/48)
- Economics (2/16)
- Business Studies (1/67)
A bit about me: I procrastinate probably a little too much.
I don't do much study (plan to change this, you'll see with my updates) mostly homework and assignments .
I have a passion for finance and business, hoping to get into UNSW Commerce, which needs minimum 93 Atar assuming I get a band 5 in english and maths.
I plan to update hopefully weekly, maybe even more often than that.
Just wanted to reveal the life of a more average student, in the hopes that anyone can benefit!

Feel free to ask any questions about me or anything,
Stay Tuned!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:55:35 pm by KingTings »
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: Kris' HSC Journey!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:32:46 pm »
+3
Hey!!! So glad you started this journal.

Yeah, we are a bit similar in that I too did not do much study until Yr11. The start was a bit tough on me as well. I remember spending 1-2 hours on a physics question that required just simple trig :'(

Anyways hopefully you have gotten 'climatised' to year 12 by now! What do you like do other than studying?
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:28:55 pm »
+2
Hey!!! So glad you started this journal.

Yeah, we are a bit similar in that I too did not do much study until Yr11. The start was a bit tough on me as well. I remember spending 1-2 hours on a physics question that required just simple trig :'(

Anyways hopefully you have gotten 'climatised' to year 12 by now! What do you like do other than studying?
Hey!
Yea I'm quite the inefficient year 12 student :'(
In my spare time I play guitar (electric/acoustic and ukulele) and I sometimes try sing (its pretty horrid tho).
Also love watching movies and improving my financial knowledge.
HSC 2019

ATAR:

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:52:39 pm »
+3
Hey Kris!

Amazing to see you starting a journal now, I've seen you a bit on the forums before. You're current rankings are amazing so hopefully you can keep all that momentum going into the back end of Year 12 and into the HSC!

I seem to have done 3/5 of your subjects so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me! I also study Commerce as one of my degrees at UNSW right now so if you do have any questions about it, I'd be more than happy to answer.

Hope Year 12 is going great and keen to see more of your posts :)
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:13:10 pm »
Hey Kris!

Amazing to see you starting a journal now, I've seen you a bit on the forums before. You're current rankings are amazing so hopefully you can keep all that momentum going into the back end of Year 12 and into the HSC!

I seem to have done 3/5 of your subjects so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me! I also study Commerce as one of my degrees at UNSW right now so if you do have any questions about it, I'd be more than happy to answer.

Hope Year 12 is going great and keen to see more of your posts :)
Hey!
Thank you so much! Year 12 is zoominggg
If I come up with any questions I'll definitely ask you! Gonna need all the help I can get if I want to try get that state rank in business like you   8)

HSC 2019

ATAR:

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 01:11:06 pm »
+1
Great to have you here. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 05:21:53 pm »
+2
UPDATE:
So I just realised we are in week 6 of term 3 year 12.
There's only 10 weeks until trials starts, oh god. The principle also gave out notes and prices for formal and graduation, it's insane how fast everything is going. Like what!?
So uh, I haven't started notes for physics, and I am quite behind in economics and business notes.
Meaning, on top of assignments to do this term, I'm going to try get some actual study in (revision, notes etc)   :P
I've deleted pretty much all social media, so that's a start I guess.
I'm starting to get back in the grind of year 12, since I've been quite burnt out from the start of the term. Physics and English are becoming less enjoyable, the nature of light and a module-A comparative study is a dangerous combination I wish no student had to endure.
I get results for a physics task due earlier this term tomorrow, so fingers crossed for that!

But yea, need a bit of motivation to keep going but I think I can do it  ;D.
I don't know how often I'll update the journey, so I guess I'll do it when there's something eventful going on (even tho its year 12 and I don't do much besides eat, sleep and study lol).
Stay Tuned!!!

HSC 2019

ATAR:

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
Re: Kris' wild (and incredibly scary) ride towards the HSC!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 12:00:17 pm »
+5
Skrrrttt,
UPDATE:
Been procrastinating a bit too much lol, watching too many movies and found myself playing tetris 'till 2 in the morning (don't ask).
Buttttt, only two more assignments to go (math Wednesday week 7 and english Friday week 8), than no more assignments for high school! Just trials and hsc, so weird. Thank god I never have to touch a depth study for physics ever again.
I got physics back, 67/80, ranked 3/48. I probs could have done better, I should not have left it till those last couple days.
I'm fairly happy with the result, despite the mark difference between 1st and 3rd being hella big. I'm pretty sure my rank has boosted up to around 2/48 overall!
I just need to smash trials to maintain it  8) 8)
Term 3 has been pretty hectic. Content for physics has been getting pretty hard, and I still haven't got on top of notes and practicing for most subjects when it comes to trials. I should probs be neck deep in studying after english is finished  :P
I've been grinding past papers for math. Really hoping to push into that b6/top 10 range in my school, fingers crossed .
I'm actually kind of enjoying year 12, its weird. I'm not pushing myself excessively hard as most people have told me to enjoy my last year of schooling, since university will be a lot difference. I'm definitely going to miss school as strange as that sounds  ;D

Hope everyone is having a smooth ride so far! I think it's gonna get a bit more bumpy lmao.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:02:57 pm by KingTings »
HSC 2019

ATAR:

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 08:58:44 pm »
+2
I got physics back, 67/80, ranked 3/48. I probs could have done better, I should not have left it till those last couple days.
I'm fairly happy with the result, despite the mark difference between 1st and 3rd being hella big. I'm pretty sure my rank has boosted up to around 2/48 overall!
I just need to smash trials to maintain it  8) 8)

Amazing result!! Good work - 3rd is a great spot to be in, no matter the mark differences involved. Good work pushing yourself into that Top 3, best of luck holding on to it ;D

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 09:57:21 am »
+4
Back it it again with another update!!
So, I just finished all my assignments for term 3, and I have nothing left until trials  ;D
Maths and then english were my last two assignments, I felt like I did okay, but I guess I won't know until I get marks back.
It's kinda scary knowing that I will never get another marking criteria for high school, no more hand-in assignments or anything
I just booked some lectures for trials prep! Keen to see some of the ATAR Notes staff deliver some awesome stuff (thanks for adding economics!).
I really need to get my study notes done before the term finishes, so I can grind past papers and revise over these holidays. I'm very behind on notes for physics, the nature of light really messed me up lol.

But so far so good! I'm trying to stay confident, and enjoy year 12. I'm not hating it so far, and its gotten to the point where I'm lowkey scared of graduating. Maybe trials will change that  :P. Stay tuned!

HSC 2019

ATAR:

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 10:16:03 am »
+1
Back it it again with another update!!
So, I just finished all my assignments for term 3, and I have nothing left until trials  ;D
Maths and then english were my last two assignments, I felt like I did okay, but I guess I won't know until I get marks back.
It's kinda scary knowing that I will never get another marking criteria for high school, no more hand-in assignments or anything
I just booked some lectures for trials prep! Keen to see some of the ATAR Notes staff deliver some awesome stuff (thanks for adding economics!).
I really need to get my study notes done before the term finishes, so I can grind past papers and revise over these holidays. I'm very behind on notes for physics, the nature of light really messed me up lol.

But so far so good! I'm trying to stay confident, and enjoy year 12. I'm not hating it so far, and its gotten to the point where I'm lowkey scared of graduating. Maybe trials will change that  :P. Stay tuned!

Damn, never really about the marking guideline being the last we’ll ever receive in highschool... hopefully you get those study notes in order! It’s great to see your emphasis on just doing questions!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 10:56:48 am »
+3
Term 3 over!!!! One more term to go, with trials coming up in like 5/6 weeks  >:(

This term was a bit of a drag. I've got a bit demotivated since I didn't go so great. Business and Economics were fine, with my rank still secure.
Though, math is what really got to me. I came out of the exam somewhat confident (expecting above 80%), but it turns out I missed 3 questions (easy ones as well that I could've done with little/no problem) and some other dumb mistakes (wrong signs, forgetting constants etc)  :-\.
Ended up getting low 70's after asking for extra marks, dropping pretty big from the 96 I got in the last one. Now I'm lowkey depresso since its preventing me to get into that band 6 range in my school, where I have to get mid-high 90's in trials to even consider
Although, I'm not tooo sad about it since I know where I can improve and it didn't drag my overall mark that much due to its weighting.
Other than that, I'm dreading these holidays since it's just a pathway to trials, where I'm gonna have to work my butt off practicing papers and finishing notes (which should probs be done already by now oops).
I WILL keep grinding though, so I can remove that doubt of being able to achieve above a 93 ATAR. I can do this!!
Hopefully all of the Class of '19 is going okay!

I'll keep y'all posted  :)

HSC 2019

ATAR:

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 04:40:09 pm »
+1
I agree - you definitely can do this!

Often the hardest bit is thinking about stuff before you actually get into it. You'll be sweet. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 08:48:29 pm »
+2
I agree - you definitely can do this!

Often the hardest bit is thinking about stuff before you actually get into it. You'll be sweet. :)
Thanks so much for the support!!

UPDATE:
Soooooo, the first week of my holidays is coming to an end. I've had a lot of holiday school lessons, and haven't had the chance to attend all of the AN lectures  :'(.
Though, I managed to go to the economics one today!
Loved seeing all you AN staff work together and provide the great opportunity for us anxious students (someone plz get me a Jamon who delivers coffees and food to me, thanks).

But yea, I haven't been studying too aggressively... I've been trying to get at least one practice paper in a day, dedicated to a single subject. I've also been doing some slight revision and shamefully catching up on my notes (probs a really poor time to be doing this, oh well).
I get these bursts of motivation every so often where I grind so much work, which usually lasts for 30 minutes. Then I'm stuck on Netflix, taking trips to my beloved fridge and browsing the forums for the next hour ;D. (I found myself viewing posts from 2010 the other night, I have a problem).
Hopefully from now I can put my head down and focus, since I've finished binge watching most of my favourite shows (Stranger Things and Jessica Jones oops).
Fingers crossed I don't find myself stuck writing Mod 8 Physics notes the day before trials.

Wish me luck!!
'till next post  :D
HSC 2019

ATAR:

KingTings

• Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »
+3
END OF HOLIDAYS UPDATE/rant:

So I'm about to go back to school and, I'm not gonna lie, I'm verrryyy worried about what's ahead of me. During these holidays I didn't manage to do as much as I wanted to. I had so much time and many opportunities to do something. I sat at my desk for most of the holidays and still struggled to do the work I set for myself.
Only doing 5 past papers for math and bits and pieces of past papers for phys, business and economics, and a couple short answer questions for english across two weeks. I really didn't do enough, and I'm kinda scared that I'll go back to school and find kids so far ahead and I'll just be brought back.

I recently saw r1ckworthy's post about ambition and over-relying on marks for self-assurance in his journal, and I related to that so much.

I have these moments where I am not worried at all, that despite what marks I will get, I will still be where I want in the future. Though my overly-competitive mindset keeps adding anxiety, where I feel as though I am not doing enough and my ATAR will determine how happy I am in the next 4 years or so. Since year 10 I've been thinking about results day. Thinking that I'll come on these forums and post my results and ATAR which I am ecstatic about.
For some reason I assume that a 4 digit number and a degree and university name will impress people and affect the person I am, it's strange and stupid.
I love school because of the people I hang around and the valuable relationships I am creating, though it is affecting my mindset and the things that I value in life.

Hopefully a couple motivational clips will get me back in to the right groove.
Just needed to rant a bit, hopefully by the next post my mentality will have improved  ;D.

HSC 2019

ATAR: