Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:49:49 am

Author Topic: Introducing our Developer: The SlyDev Thread!  (Read 94301 times)  Share 

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: Introducing our Developer: The SlyDev Thread!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:16 pm »
Makes sense. Couldn't that just be fixed by removing the Vic mod user permissions from a user once they're nat mod? Or would that make it more confusing in terms of finding a moderator for a specific section because they disappear from the mod list? From what I understand, there's no real power that nat mods can't exercise that a sub forum-specific mod could. I suppose it doesn't really matter too much.

edit: @brenden: I'll give you 10c to upgrade to xenforo xx
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 11:12:53 pm »
+3
Ooh, sometime could we have dot-points fixed up back to how they were pre-site-layout-change?  It really annoys me having a
  • list
  • this
  • where
  • no
  • bullet

[Though they show when I'm previewing the post...]
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:56 pm »
Ooh, sometime could we have dot-points fixed up back to how they were pre-site-layout-change?  It really annoys me having a
  • list
  • this
  • where
  • no
  • bullet

-Why
-Don't
-You
-Do
-This
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 11:19:12 pm »
Makes sense. Couldn't that just be fixed by removing the Vic mod user permissions from a user once they're nat mod? Or would that make it more confusing in terms of finding a moderator for a specific section because they disappear from the mod list? From what I understand, there's no real power that nat mods can't exercise that a sub forum-specific mod could. I suppose it doesn't really matter too much.

The issue is that the moderator stuff is built to each forum, not to the person. So it's not as simple as taking away vic mod for the person, you need to go into each board individually and change their user moderation settings.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 11:21:22 pm »
+1

Yes please
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 11:22:26 pm »
+3
-Why
-Don't
-You
-Do
-This

I do, but it doesn't work well for chunky paragraphs in each dot point, and besides, Lauren still keeps using that failed list feature so all her mammoth posts become unreadable.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 08:59:48 am »
I do, but it doesn't work well for chunky paragraphs in each dot point, and besides, Lauren still keeps using that failed list feature so all her mammoth posts become unreadable.
Did I break something? I probably broke something. Please don't eat me.

Incidentally when I checked posts via profiles it comes up fine:

... ah the mysteries of the forums  ::)

Slydev

• Administrator
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 05:54:12 pm »
+6
  • list
  • this
  • where
  • no
  • bullet

I think that will be somewhere in the stylesheet, will see what I can do....hoping bringing it back doesn't break lists somewhere else (lots of menus and buttons use the list element because HTML is weird like that)

Also:

Forum avatars and attachments are now working!!!

Let me know if you guys have any more issues!
Joey - Atar Developer Slydev

Slydev

• Administrator
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 08:55:57 pm »
+3
What programming language did you begin to code with and consider yourself most fluent with?

And what language is ATARnotes and Section Zero primarily written in?

uh begin? I guess that was 'basic', as I grew up I got interesting in programming games using 'blitz basic' (though had read books on basic that for some reason were in our house) but I also started on the basics of websites 'html and css' though I was not very good at it back then (in fact I hated making websites more than anything, my dad made me make some for his companies). Eventually I hit university and dabbled in Java and C++ then I started on the real web languages (and also Adobe Flash's AS3 which is useless now)....That is PHP, Mysql, Javascript (and eventually Jquery).

Atarnotes uses HTML, CSS, Javascript(jQuery/Ajax) for the front end and then the backend is PHP/MYSQL. The forums side of the site is made by SMF but as I am finding has a lot of custom code and the rest of the website is actually highly customized wordpress. We also use bootstrap for responsive, which is standard for almost any website now.

I would say I am most fluent with PHP I really enjoy backend coding though really I love the whole web flow from Frontend to back and building interfaces.

PHP actually is a kind of crap language lots of annoying issues:
- A lot of cases will give the same result if a variable is NULL, FALSE, 0 or '' (an empty string) which can be confusing sometimes.
- Some of the naming conventions are weird for example there are lots of functions that are 'function(needle,haystack)' while others are 'function(haystack,needle)' which makes it hard to remember which is which.
Someone did a better rant than me here: http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-php-singularity/

PHP is however very popular on web still (though Javascript is starting to make an apperance with things like angular and jsnode). PHP has a low skill entry so there are a lot of bad programmers so lots of the work I do is fixing bad code, its not fun but it is a dirty job that pays well.

I hope that answers your questions, if anyone is more interested in learning about programming (specifically web) let me know I am happy to at least point you in the right direction :)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 09:08:49 pm »
+1
uh begin? I guess that was 'basic', as I grew up I got interesting in programming games using 'blitz basic' (though had read books on basic that for some reason were in our house) but I also started on the basics of websites 'html and css' though I was not very good at it back then (in fact I hated making websites more than anything, my dad made me make some for his companies). Eventually I hit university and dabbled in Java and C++ then I started on the real web languages (and also Adobe Flash's AS3 which is useless now)....That is PHP, Mysql, Javascript (and eventually Jquery).

Atarnotes uses HTML, CSS, Javascript(jQuery/Ajax) for the front end and then the backend is PHP/MYSQL. The forums side of the site is made by SMF but as I am finding has a lot of custom code and the rest of the website is actually highly customized wordpress. We also use bootstrap for responsive, which is standard for almost any website now.

I would say I am most fluent with PHP I really enjoy backend coding though really I love the whole web flow from Frontend to back and building interfaces.

PHP actually is a kind of crap language lots of annoying issues:
- A lot of cases will give the same result if a variable is NULL, FALSE, 0 or '' (an empty string) which can be confusing sometimes.
- Some of the naming conventions are weird for example there are lots of functions that are 'function(needle,haystack)' while others are 'function(haystack,needle)' which makes it hard to remember which is which.
Someone did a better rant than me here: http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-php-singularity/

PHP is however very popular on web still (though Javascript is starting to make an apperance with things like angular and jsnode). PHP has a low skill entry so there are a lot of bad programmers so lots of the work I do is fixing bad code, its not fun but it is a dirty job that pays well.

I hope that answers your questions, if anyone is more interested in learning about programming (specifically web) let me know I am happy to at least point you in the right direction :)

It's nice to have someone else talking about programming on here as well! Hi-five.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Slydev

• Administrator
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »
+1
It's nice to have someone else talking about programming on here as well! Hi-five.

Aww yeah *high fives*

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:16 pm »
+1
Slydev, I have a question for you my man.

I want to pursue a career in medicine, as I have grown up my whole life wanting it, but developing, programming and coding has always been a passion of mine, you never know when you might just be working, or even better, creating the next hit website, like ATARNotes, which makes the actual process of developing exciting. So my question is, is it possible to program as a hobby, through self-teaching methods etc? Apologies if this is not supposed to be in this thread, but clearly there are some others who share the same passion!

Thank you Mr. Sly
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 10:40:27 pm »
+3

I want to pursue a career in medicine, as I have grown up my whole life wanting it, but developing, programming and coding has always been a passion of mine, you never know when you might just be working, or even better, creating the next hit website, like ATARNotes, which makes the actual process of developing exciting. So my question is, is it possible to program as a hobby, through self-teaching methods etc? Apologies if this is not supposed to be in this thread, but clearly there are some others who share the same passion!

Thank you Mr. Sly

I'm not Sly, or a programmer in any way, shape or form (three brothers and a dad is four programmers too many in one family!) but it's not that hard to self-teach, and I've done a little on the side myself [though I would only ever be a bad programmer that would make messes for good programmers to fix :P].  Try Codeacademy and w3schools for starters, and you'll get surprisingly far as long as you dedicate the time (like I don't).

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 10:42:47 pm »
+1
I'm not Sly, or a programmer in any way, shape or form (three brothers and a dad is four programmers too many in one family!) but it's not that hard to self-teach, and I've done a little on the side myself [though I would only ever be a bad programmer that would make messes for good programmers to fix :P].  Try Codeacademy and w3schools for starters, and you'll get surprisingly far as long as you dedicate the time (like I don't).

Thanks Sly, oops I mean Bangali (kidding, of course xD)

Thing is, I already know the basics, have designed a couple websites myself too. But like, I was wondering how to get 'Sly' level, you know, a website that holds high traffic, and has such a complex user interface. Any ideas?

Thank you :)
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 10:53:55 pm »
+2

Thank you Mr. Sly
Feel free to ask Sly questions in this thread - he's a cool guy and actually doesn't afraid of anything!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️