Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:11:08 pm

Author Topic: History CSSA 2016 Discussion (Ancient/Modern/Extension)  (Read 7682 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
History CSSA 2016 Discussion (Ancient/Modern/Extension)
« on: August 05, 2016, 01:48:42 pm »
Here is a place to discuss all the CSSA History Exams!!

What did you think? Did the essays suit your study? Feeling good or not so good?

PLEASE don't write the exam questions here - they are under security until week 5 for illness and misadventure students.

Want to join in the conversation? Make a totally free account by clicking here, and get involved!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: History CSSA 2016 Discussion (Ancient/Modern/Extension)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 05:29:07 pm »
+1
Ancient... UGHHHHHH

Cities of Vesuvius: Did anyone else find section unusually hard? Especially the last two questions, so specific!

Sparta: so our school changed the questions right cos we hadn't learnt all the content, except no.3 of the new questions I literally couldn't answer, but question 3 OF THE ORIGINAL I DID A WHOLE ASSIGNMENT ON!  >:( Plus the source we were given was my special source that I like to use to demonstrate that I know other stuff so that was really frustrating.

Agrippina: Best section by far, questions were really good, though part b could have made a big mistake if you didn't look closely at what they are asking.

Julio-Claudians: At first I was really worried, but then I realised the question (a) wasn't that bad. If anyone did question (b) I pray for you.

Overall I guess the majority of the questions were okay (except for within section 1), but they were all on areas that I didn't pay as much attention to while studying, which means that even though i knew them and I knew how to argue my points, I missed out quite a bit in regards to historiography :( Oh well, I guess it could have been worse.

Now onto modern! hopefully that goes a little better.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:32:24 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:22:57 pm »
+1
Sparta: so our school changed the questions right cos we hadn't learnt all the content, except no.3 of the new questions I literally couldn't answer, but question 3 OF THE ORIGINAL I DID A WHOLE ASSIGNMENT ON!  >:( Plus the source we were given was my special source that I like to use to demonstrate that I know other stuff so that was really frustrating.

How annoying!! That's so lame  :-[

Oh well, just a kink in the road, I bet you smashed the rest, good luck for Modern!  ;D

christinebelista

• Adventurer
  • RIPNDIP
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 06:52:33 am »
+2
Ancient... UGHHHHHH

Cities of Vesuvius: Did anyone else find section unusually hard? Especially the last two questions, so specific!

i totally agree with you about Pompeii HAHA , i studied for everything else besides what was in the exam  :'( :'(

for my personality i forgot EVERYTHINg so i employed my bs skills and hoped it was convincing :/ my hand was cramped cs i had 45 minutes between the end of my chem exam and ancient so I'm hoping I pass AT LEAST ONE EXAM

subjects: 
- advanced english
- mathematics
- mathematics ext 1
- chemistry 
- biology
- ancient history
- sor1

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 12:33:53 pm »
+1
i totally agree with you about Pompeii HAHA , i studied for everything else besides what was in the exam  :'( :'(

for my personality i forgot EVERYTHINg so i employed my bs skills and hoped it was convincing :/ my hand was cramped cs i had 45 minutes between the end of my chem exam and ancient so I'm hoping I pass AT LEAST ONE EXAM

Oh that sounds so bad  :( I'd hate to have two on one day, my last day of trials is like that - economics and extension history  :'( I'm sure you did great in both of them though, even if you're feeling a bit down about it right now :) good luck!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:22:10 am »
+1
Okay so it looks like im one of the only ppl using this thread but whatever hahahaha i need to vent.

Modern.

Section I --> SO HARD. Those sources were a trek to read, and hardly made any sense to what they were asking. Source D was the worst. Plus I forgot the last name of my corroborating source so I just wrote diary of Ethel (wtf does that even mean)

Section II --> Okay for Russia, so that was good.

Section III --> An absolute MESS ran out of time, and the question only half related to Trotsky

Section IV --> Cold War, last paragraph made no sense. After exam realised how i could have made it make sense UGHHHH

Overall again not happy with this one, which is so annoying because this is the one that I studied the most for by far! 21 practice responses :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:56:22 am »
+1
Okay so it looks like im one of the only ppl using this thread but whatever hahahaha i need to vent.

Modern.

Section I --> SO HARD. Those sources were a trek to read, and hardly made any sense to what they were asking. Source D was the worst. Plus I forgot the last name of my corroborating source so I just wrote diary of Ethel (wtf does that even mean)

Section II --> Okay for Russia, so that was good.

Section III --> An absolute MESS ran out of time, and the question only half related to Trotsky

Section IV --> Cold War, last paragraph made no sense. After exam realised how i could have made it make sense UGHHHH

Overall again not happy with this one, which is so annoying because this is the one that I studied the most for by far! 21 practice responses :(

All good Sudodds, it's just the Trial! Don't let it discourage you, the HSC is where it counts, and you might not have done as badly as you think! Does seem like a brutal one though  :P

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:02:48 pm »
All good Sudodds, it's just the Trial! Don't let it discourage you, the HSC is where it counts, and you might not have done as badly as you think! Does seem like a brutal one though  :P

Thanks Jamon, yeah it was brutal :( Its more just so frustrating the amount of work that I put into it and the end result. Knowing that I couldn't have done more for it because I would have burnt out, but also knowing that I obviously didn't do enough :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 01:52:25 pm »
+1
Thanks Jamon, yeah it was brutal :( Its more just so frustrating the amount of work that I put into it and the end result. Knowing that I couldn't have done more for it because I would have burnt out, but also knowing that I obviously didn't do enough :(

You should be comforted by the fact that you literally couldn't have done more. That means the mark you got was the absolute best you could have done for that exam, there was no lost opportunity. No marks you could have gotten. You worked at full capacity, and although it sounds cheesy, that is all you can do after all. It might be frustrating, but you will improve substantially before the HSC, the Trial Exams are for figuring out what works and what doesn't, so don't let it bum you out too much :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 01:54:40 pm »

You'll have more time in the HSC exams! That's unfortunate timetabling for you this time around. But, I suppose a good test of your muscle capacity!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 01:56:29 pm »
+1

That's a solid effort with the practice essays! What a champ! You may feel defeated by the study now, but just know that you're now 21 essays ahead of sooooo many other people for your final studying! Were you able to draw on arguments from your practice essays at all for today's exam? Or did you somehow manage to get questions that skipped all of what you had prepared?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 04:19:48 pm »
You should be comforted by the fact that you literally couldn't have done more. That means the mark you got was the absolute best you could have done for that exam, there was no lost opportunity. No marks you could have gotten. You worked at full capacity, and although it sounds cheesy, that is all you can do after all. It might be frustrating, but you will improve substantially before the HSC, the Trial Exams are for figuring out what works and what doesn't, so don't let it bum you out too much :)

thanks Jamon and Elyse :) this made me feel a lot better. I spoke to my teacher today as well and apparently they thought WW1 sources were atrocious, that even he struggled to write a response for them, so I think they're going to be fairly nice (at least with that section) in regards to marks. So yeah, I'm feeling a bit better hahaha. Thanks so much for the nice words of advice :)

Were you able to draw on arguments from your practice essays at all for today's exam? Or did you somehow manage to get questions that skipped all of what you had prepared?

Russia wise I could, and Cold War slightly though I didn't have enough detail on the stem of the question whatsoever and basically just turned it into a containment essay. Trotsky not at all haha, part a especially (which was weird) was such a curve ball. Even though usually it goes by the syllabus this one just went in a completely different direction, looked more like a part b question.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:41:57 pm by sudodds »