Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:59:14 am

Author Topic: Bearings!  (Read 603 times)  Share 

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
Bearings!
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:55:25 pm »
hi guys!

Im going into unit 1/2 spesh and my holiday hw covers trig and includes bearings. the problem is, i cant wrap my head around bearings. like i don't get what the difference is between "bearing a from b" and "b from a" for instance.

i was wondering if anyone had an easy way or method to better understand bearings?
thank you so much

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Bearings!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:00:12 pm »
+1
hi guys!

Im going into unit 1/2 spesh and my holiday hw covers trig and includes bearings. the problem is, i cant wrap my head around bearings. like i don't get what the difference is between "bearing a from b" and "b from a" for instance.

i was wondering if anyone had an easy way or method to better understand bearings?
thank you so much
A bearing is the angle that is measured from the north direction clockwise. So the bearing of A from B won't necessarily be the same as the bearing of B from A.

A tricky part of it is that the first point you consider (to measure the clockwise angle from the north direction) is actually the second point of the phrase A from B. I know a lot of students mess this up.

So you need to really think about what exactly does A from B mean. Since A is first and B is second people skim it and think ok A to B and end up doing stuff wrong.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:06:38 pm by Sine »