Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:56:15 am

Author Topic: Need help with oral presentation  (Read 546 times)  Share 

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
Need help with oral presentation
« on: May 23, 2019, 09:54:45 am »
Hey guys, I'm really struggling with how to write my oral presentation. The topic is relating to free speech.

Here is my contention and my three arguments.

Contention - We must re-examine our politics in general and start from where we are with full knowledge of how our society has been informed by the systematic exclusion of people through the use of speech.

Argument 1 - We need hate speech legislation in order to live in a thriving society. (Social contract and how absolute free speech results in downfall of society)

Argument 2 - Free speech results in systematic racial exclusion. (The authority of hate speech.)

Argument 3 - We need to rework our political system because if hate speech laws are strongly enforced there may be a lack of conversation and a rise in small extremist communities.

I have set out my three arguments and conclusion and done a handful of research on the topic, but I'm not sure where to go from here. English isn't a strong subject of mine and I'm really pushing myself to do well. I need to have this speech written by Monday and I have absolutely no idea on how I should start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Need help with oral presentation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 05:31:27 pm »
I'm not sure if you really mean you want to change our political system - that's a really big topic and I think you probably want to focus on changes to specific legislation about "hate speech" and "free speech." I'd suggest you re-phrase your contention ie that changes to legislation must take into consideration the capacity for these changes to perpetuate systematic exclusion of people, creating serious and undesirable consequences for the sake of "free speech".  Your first argument about the advantages of free speech can be supported with examples and/or anecdotes about the benefits this freedom bestows.  This can also be contrasted with examples of repression of freedom of speech associated with eg extreme forms of censorship and harsh punishments experienced in other countries/societies (eg arrest of journalists who are just doing their job).  Your second argument could explain how easily "free speech" can become "hate speech."  Some examples can demonstrate this to your audience who may not appreciate the differences. Perhaps you are thinking of the issues around Israel Folau (religious freedom and homophobia)?  Any legislation should be aimed at avoiding giving "authority to hate speech". Your third argument recognises the importance of keeping discussion about this open - for the sake of social cohesion. Some examples of the failure of open discussion and negative consequences of this failure could be used here. What do you want your audience to do about this? What ideas do you want to leave them with at the end of your oral?