Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:41:14 am

Author Topic: placement test for languages  (Read 12959 times)  Share 

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
Re: placement test for languages
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 07:27:55 pm »
btw, does the bus/eco faculty allow students to comence the dip.lang from sem1?
i asked the course advisor person at enrolment and i then went to the faculty afterwards and got 2 different answers
im kinda worried as ive been told that without the dip.lang i may not b able to do a double major (assuming i do jap units anyway)

The Commerce faculty wouldn't let me commence the Diploma of Languages until second semester =\ But I'm doing a double degree, so I don't exactly have any spare units. As you're doing a B.Eco, you'll most likely be allowed to commence the Diploma of Languages from semester 1, as you have so many free units anyway.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »
btw, does the bus/eco faculty allow students to comence the dip.lang from sem1?
i asked the course advisor person at enrolment and i then went to the faculty afterwards and got 2 different answers
im kinda worried as ive been told that without the dip.lang i may not b able to do a double major (assuming i do jap units anyway)

The Commerce faculty wouldn't let me commence the Diploma of Languages until second semester =\ But I'm doing a double degree, so I don't exactly have any spare units. As you're doing a B.Eco, you'll most likely be allowed to commence the Diploma of Languages from semester 1, as you have so many free units anyway.

yeah i can do it, but the course advisor guy said something about not being able to complete a double major tho :P
but after talking to both arts and com faculty i think i can enrol in the diploma and straighten everything out in the next week or so (i hope)
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »
does anyone know about the kanji section in the placement test?
ie to do level 5, do i have to know basically all the kanji from level 1~4 or will my mediocre vce kanji knowledge get me through?
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 04:46:39 pm »
ie to do level 5, do i have to know basically all the kanji from level 1~4 or will my mediocre vce kanji knowledge get me through?

No-one on VN knows anything about the Monash Jap placement test.
Though I'm glad this is soon to change, I'm the only one on here currently studying Jap @ Monash and I never sat the placement test.
'Tis a great mystery I tells ya :P

Anywayz, my recommendation is that you cram the kanji from levels 1 - 4... it's not too onerous, really... when's the placement test?
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »

Though I'm glad this is soon to change, I'm the only one on here currently studying Jap @ Monash and I never sat the placement test.

Anywayz, my recommendation is that you cram the kanji from levels 1 - 4... it's not too onerous, really... when's the placement test?

22nd i think
ive already started studying kanji, just wanted to know how well i need to know them :)

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 04:59:32 pm »

22nd i think
ive already started studying kanji, just wanted to know how well i need to know them :)

isn't the test just a "recommendation" anyway?

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »

22nd i think

I wouldn't mind getting a decisive answer on this actually. I was under the impression the test determined what level you started at but when I called Monash the impression I got was that you could enrol for any level you wanted which is not what I have been told earlier =/

Also have any of the other first years doing a Diploma enrolled in the language subjects yet? I didn't put down any languages in my units because I was planning on waiting on approval/test results before I enrolled so I knew what level to enrol at. I was told that after the test I could contact the course advisors to discuss which of my units I could drop for the language one (I'm figuring I could drop one of the core commerce subjects from 1st/2nd semester and just do it later).

Also have any of you actually been approved by your faculty yet? I gave the Law faculty my application on the 28th and haven't heard anything from them since...

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 10:15:17 pm »

22nd i think

I wouldn't mind getting a decisive answer on this actually. I was under the impression the test determined what level you started at but when I called Monash the impression I got was that you could enrol for any level you wanted which is not what I have been told earlier =/

Also have any of the other first years doing a Diploma enrolled in the language subjects yet? I didn't put down any languages in my units because I was planning on waiting on approval/test results before I enrolled so I knew what level to enrol at. I was told that after the test I could contact the course advisors to discuss which of my units I could drop for the language one (I'm figuring I could drop one of the core commerce subjects from 1st/2nd semester and just do it later).

Also have any of you actually been approved by your faculty yet? I gave the Law faculty my application on the 28th and haven't heard anything from them since...

Both times I applied (don't anyone else ask me to explain this) I went in to my faculty's student services and I was approved on the spot. The first time they passed my application onto Arts for me, the second time I walked to Arts student services myself and handed it in. BusEco heavily encourages its students to enrol in languages though... for this reason I once likened my faculty to a stoned hippie... "Learning is gooooood maaaaaaan"... anywayz, Law is a bit picky with its students doing units from other faculties... they'll likely need a little time before they concede ;)

Don't enrol in your language units yet... it'll make your unofficial transcript look screwy... no-one aside from uni staff will see it, but sometimes this matters. When I went and saw a course advisor and she showed me a print-out it was lol... to make it easier for her to read, she scribbled out all the units I'd switched from and never actually completed.

Oh, just while I'm on this train of thought... SmRandmAzn... come mid-year you will only have one day to get your application approved by your faculty/ies and across to the Arts faculty... there's no way around this and you probably deserve a heads-up now. Uni bureaucracy is a bitch.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:17:23 pm by Fyrefly »

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:37 pm »

22nd i think

i handed in mine this morning so hopefully it doesnt take too long
since im doing BEc i think i have enough free units to do jap anyway (in 1st semester at least), once or if get into the diploma ill just drop jap out of my degree and put into my diploma (i dont know exactly how it works tho)

as for the placement test, im not sure how its done or if i HAVE to do it at all either
i once heard that the test wasnt strict, ie u can do any level but monash may just advice u on what to do
but yeah, ive goten mixed messages/answers too

btw, i just realised i forgot to include a copy of my vce results with the application (it only has my enter on the application), will they contact me and ask for it when processing or should i somehow go give it to them?

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 10:24:29 pm »

22nd i think

it'll make your unofficial transcript look screwy... no-one aside from uni staff will see it, but sometimes this matters. When I went and saw a course advisor and she showed me a print-out it was lol... to make it easier for her to read, she scribbled out all the units I'd switched from and never actually completed.

haha, my course advisor was kinda like that, he didnt bother to read one of them was marked "discontinued" so then went on about me having too many units :P

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 12:41:41 pm »
Well I just got a call from the Law faculty who told me I can't apply for a Diploma in Languages unless I have already completed 48 credit points with a credit average. I'm fairly sure getting a credit average isn't too challenging for my first year commerce units but I've heard with law units getting anything higher than credit is considered in huge achievement. From people with past experience, how much effort would I need to devote to my law units and how difficult is it to maintain a credit average or above, keeping in mind that compared with the rest of the class I will probably have the intellectual capacity of a dugong?

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:21 pm »
Credit average isn't too bad - it's distinction and HD which is reserved for geniuses

I maintained a credit average by cramming the entire course for 2 law subjects a week before the exams (which were a day apart). Trust me, you'll be fine :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 07:28:11 pm »
Well I just got a call from the Law faculty who told me I can't apply for a Diploma in Languages unless I have already completed 48 credit points with a credit average. I'm fairly sure getting a credit average isn't too challenging for my first year commerce units but I've heard with law units getting anything higher than credit is considered in huge achievement. From people with past experience, how much effort would I need to devote to my law units and how difficult is it to maintain a credit average or above, keeping in mind that compared with the rest of the class I will probably have the intellectual capacity of a dugong?

Out of the compulsory 1st year BComm units you should definitely do stats and management if you want to get a good 1st-year average... those units are sooo easy. I also recommend putting off business law for similar reasons... there's a general consensus that it is the most difficult of all the compulsory 1st year units... my transcript agrees.

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 07:44:55 pm »

Out of the compulsory 1st year BComm units you should definitely do stats and management if you want to get a good 1st-year average... those units are sooo easy. I also recommend putting off business law for similar reasons... there's a general consensus that it is the most difficult of all the compulsory 1st year units... my transcript agrees.

*logs into WES*

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 08:04:23 pm »

*logs into WES*

Lol!

Business Law is my lowest result so far and the only C on my transcript... unfortunately, it is also the first unit listed on my transcript -.-