Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:16 pm

Author Topic: High 40s without a tutor?  (Read 9881 times)  Share 

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
High 40s without a tutor?
« on: November 22, 2019, 10:51:01 pm »
+3
Hi there,
I know it's a bit of an odd question, but do you think that having a tutor has a great impact on one's study score? Provided I put in the work, is it possible to achieve very high marks? I would really like to know what it is about having tutors that places people at an advantage, is it because of the extra resources, consolidation of learning? Your help is very much appreciated :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: High 40s without a tutor?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 11:24:54 pm »
+7
Hi there,
I know it's a bit of an odd question, but do you think that having a tutor has a great impact on one's study score? Provided I put in the work, is it possible to achieve very high marks? I would really like to know what it is about having tutors that places people at an advantage, is it because of the extra resources, consolidation of learning? Your help is very much appreciated :)
It really depends on the person so I don't think there is a single answer to your question on whether a tutor actually improves your study score. There will be people who get study scores of 30 with or without a tutor. Those that get study scores of 30 without a tutor and 50 with a tutor and even those who could get study scores of 50 with or without a tutor. So in terms of whether you can do well without one the answer is yes. Generally, people will go to tutors for consolidation, perfecting exam technique, more resources or if someone does not feel like their teacher or themselves alone can teach themselves the content amongst other reasons.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 11:37:14 pm »
+3
Hi there,
Also keep in mind the school system was designed so any hard working student can do well. The heavy emphasis on tutoring as come about in the past decade or so because it pushes people when they wouldn't by themselves. However if you can push yourself tutoring is not necessarily.

There have been countless people who do well with and without tutoring. In NSW for example a subject known as Maths ext 2, most students in the state get tutoring for as it is the hardest subject. However there have been people before who topped the state with no tutoring.

The only thing is if you don't have a good teacher sometimes it can be hard to learn everything yourself without someone there to guide you, but even then just working hard and posting queries on AtarNotes for example should be sufficient =)

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 07:10:56 pm »
Thanks for your help guys! It clarified a lot of things:)