Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:10 am

Author Topic: JR's journey to becoming independent.  (Read 4290 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
JR's journey to becoming independent.
« on: September 04, 2019, 07:15:40 pm »
+4
4/9/19

So today, I got home at around 2:45pm (On Wednesdays and Thursdays we are dismissed early). I have just realised what time it is now. :-[

The more free time I have, the more of it I seem to waste. And with 8 weeks until my first exam, there isn't a lot of precious study time I can afford to waste between now and my last exam. I know I can waste some of my weekend (let's just define 'wasting time' as 'time spent on activities that do not improve me as a person'), but I seem to have problems with excessive time wastage during weekdays when I'm meant to be studying or some other productive task.

How bad (or great) of a procrastinator am I? Well, today I started to look at a guide on how to write a Frankenstein essay (because I have to do that for my English exam), but I basically did what Patrick did when Squidward played the Solitude in E Minor on his clarinet. (Didn't exactly fall asleep, but it wasn't the most exciting activity, so I just gave up on reading the book after about 3 minutes).

Hopefully I can do better in the time I have left before bedtime. I also want to do better tomorrow (as that is the other day where we get to go home early).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:01:03 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: I need help in controlling my procrastination.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:25:28 pm »
+3
Hi there. I know how disheartening it can be when you procrastinate but can't stop, because I do the exact same thing. I feel bad for doing something that isn't studying, but I also put off studying by watching useless videos like 'How to study' or 'How to beat procrastination' or even just browsing the internet. I too get dismissed early on Wednesdays, and I only started studying at around 5:30. Then, I stopped at 6. Very studious. I don't know - I find it very difficult to beat procrastination, and I don't want it to impact my results either.

A strategy I have been attempting to implement is telling myself 'okay, just 5 minutes of work then I'll go take a break.' Then, what happens is after you start doing work, you just end up continuing and doing it for a while. Then, after this, maybe try rewarding yourself? I'm not very good at giving advice to do with procrastination since I am a procrastinator myself, but hopefully, you can try this technique and maybe find a bit of success? It's always good to link school back to your main motivation - maybe a dream uni course or career. That usually gets me revved up to study, even if it is just an hour or two.

You've got this, I believe in you.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:02:14 pm »
+2
I am so bloody inconsistent with my study. One day last week, I got a fair bit of work done. The next day, I thought it would be the same if I just followed what I did the previous day. So I did exactly what brought me success the previous day. I started straight away. But I procrastinated and stuff, and didn't get nearly as much work done. How does that work?

I'm a to-do list kind of student. Timetables are too rigid and are not an accurate depiction of what I can actually get done.

Anyone else feel like they are just in a cycle of continually procrastinating, to the point where consistent productivity is difficult to even fathom, let alone actually achieve?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:23 pm »
I'm procrastinating again. :-[

It's that barrier of "I'm just not in the mood", which is preventing me from starting. But I have rarely been 'in the mood' to study at all. Am I just a weak person for instantly gratifying myself at the expense of not studying for hours on end when I have the opportunity to do just that? My headspace is just saying "no" to all this study that I still have to do. And I don't believe I have burned out yet. I got a good night's sleep. But not much physical activity.

All day, I've been thinking about what I would rather be doing if school wasn't a requirement. Watching YouTube, eating, sleeping, doing chores and being a active member of my community I guess. It's always good to keep things in perspective. Revision for exams just has too much competition from other things at the moment. It's not so much the content of my subjects that is so boring (or maybe it is, I'm not entirely sure), but my study methods.

830cracker

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2023
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:52 pm »
+6
Aww hope it gets better :)

Personally, I’m a great procrastinator when I knows that I have to study (just like now as I have a english oral tomorrow). I sometimes have great determination but most times not. I don’t know if it is too helpful but I have just started a plan of the ‘500h study challenge’, which I aimed to study at least 3 hours a day and I’ll possibly give myself rewards after I complete that before the start of term one next year.  I always talks to my parents about those problems, and my dad who sometimes understands me a lot(he used to be a kind of psychologist) suggests me to spend less time in social medias and entertainments, which could help with my concentration a bit(that worked well for me). Also stay calm and believes in yourself(you’re someone that’s dominating the movements you make) can also be an important thing imo.

Yea it is really hard sometimes to get off these and do works. But if I was at your situation, I would considering those social medias/entertainments as some kind of things that I want to avoid if I have a diet for losing weight.

Sorry if the things I said is not related to your situation, as I just really want to helpful :)

welp I’m procrastinating rn

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
Re: I need to avoid being idle.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 11:21:49 am »
Trying to get that first job

Even Macca's said no to me. I applied to two restaurants. One of them basically said they didn't need me (yet), and the other said there were others more suited to the job than me. But if anything develops in the next 45 days, they'll let me know. Not confident that they will.

However, I did apply to two other restaurants (Nando's and San Churro), both of which are taking an eternity to get back to me. So I'm basically back to square one. Waiting, like I have been for most of the time since I started applying.

Can't wait for uni to start!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 03:03:12 pm »
+1
Trying to get that first job

Even Macca's said no to me. I applied to two restaurants. One of them basically said they didn't need me (yet), and the other said there were others more suited to the job than me. But if anything develops in the next 45 days, they'll let me know. Not confident that they will.

However, I did apply to two other restaurants (Nando's and San Churro), both of which are taking an eternity to get back to me. So I'm basically back to square one. Waiting, like I have been for most of the time since I started applying.

Can't wait for uni to start!
What availability did you give to Macca's?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 03:16:12 pm »
What availability did you give to Macca's?

9am-9pm, Monday to Saturday.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 03:30:33 pm »
+2
9am-9pm, Monday to Saturday.

If they're going to pay the higher rate to have someone older (than 15) they usually want them for overnight shifts from what I've heard

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 04:00:52 pm »
+1
If they're going to pay the higher rate to have someone older (than 15) they usually want them for overnight shifts from what I've heard
Would give them 24/7 availability, suck it up until uni and catch ubers, then just change your availability to what suits after you’ve been train and spent a couple months in the job.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 05:14:53 pm »
In terms of job hunting, do you have any particular skills you think could work in your favor? Whether it be a sport, musical talent, or even something as simple as being really organised, something in retail could be the way to go?

I agree that the longer they take to get back to you, the dramatically less likely it is they're interested (especially chains).
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 12:45:12 pm »
So I understand that due to my age (18 currently), fast food chains won't hire me unless I state that I have 24/7 availability? During the interview, they said something along the lines of not to be unrealistic about our availability to work. I mean, yeah, it would be nice to have a job (because my list of things to keep me busy before uni starts is slim), but I don't want to really work unreasonable hours. Actually, I am technically available 24/7 until uni starts, so...if I do get a job, I need to somehow get used to working irregular and inconsistent hours.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 12:55:45 pm »
+3
So I understand that due to my age (18 currently), fast food chains won't hire me unless I state that I have 24/7 availability? During the interview, they said something along the lines of not to be unrealistic about our availability to work. I mean, yeah, it would be nice to have a job (because my list of things to keep me busy before uni starts is slim), but I don't want to really work unreasonable hours. Actually, I am technically available 24/7 until uni starts, so...if I do get a job, I need to somehow get used to working irregular and inconsistent hours.

Sometimes it's necessary to initially make a sacrifice in order to get what we want. I know people that work full time in addition to university studies (they balance it the best they can), purely because they need to support themselves and this is the option they're presented with. Unfortunately with unstable employment e.g. casual, it is often inconsistent and irregular.. unless you have hours clearly defined in a contract (or available 24/7, as you have stated), it can be changed at any time.

As well as that, your age (unfortunately) is also against you as they are required to pay you more than, say, a 15 year old worker still in school. I tried going down the casual/part-time route of Woolies etc as an 18 year old school leaver and didn't even get interviews.

Take what you can get, build up your resume and then once you've been there a while.. you can use that experience to get another job more suited to you (in terms of hours, etc).

Obviously you don't want to overdo it but at the same time you can't be too picky until you have a strong experience base.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 02:03:15 pm »
+1
Try volunteering. I know it can suck as I've done it as well but it will seriously boost the consideration of employers. It can keep you busy for the time being, then down the line you can get a payed job.

I didn't get my first real job until I was 18 (almost turning 19) and I already had some experience at Salvos.

Try smaller businesses as well, but be wary that some of them are dodgy with the pay and treatments.. .

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 06:31:45 pm »
I have no close friends. I don't really know how I'm feeling right now.

Is it summer depression? Is it the New Year slump? Who knows, and who cares what it's actually called. Applying for work is so frustrating. I don't even know why I want to work anymore. Is it because of the money? Sounds too selfish, doesn't it? Surely they're not rejecting me solely on the basis of my reasons for wanting to work? Get me on the cruise ship already. I've just about had it with sitting around alone at home, trying to apply, being turned away, and going back to point 1A. And this is all before I walk through the door for my first shift.

It's so hard to accurately convey how I'm feeling right now to you. My tone can be easily misinterpreted. I don't like emojis, though (eww cringe).