Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:03:56 pm

Author Topic: HHD vs Revolutions subject selection  (Read 926 times)  Share 

sumaia1234

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
HHD vs Revolutions subject selection
« on: June 18, 2020, 11:49:43 am »
-
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:24:42 pm by sumaia1234 »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: HHD vs Revolutions subject selection
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 07:04:09 pm »
+1
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but i was wondering if anyone would be able to help be choose between VCE health and human development unit 3 & 4 and history revolutions (china and russia) unit 3 & 4. Im currently in health 1 & 2 and am absolutely hating it and the only place to move to is history. But i am unsure of whether i will enjoy it better than health. Could someone please inform me of the work load and who the content is tailored to (what type of students will succeed is history revs). This will help me alot in deciding whether to keep health or drop it for next year.

Thank you!
Hi,
I did HHD last year, and I'm doing Revs this year (France and Russia). From the start let me say, I have a great Revs teacher and had an HHD teacher who, well, didn't work for me. Also I didn't have the best idea about prioritising unit 3/4 subjects, so I didn't work so hard. So I know I have a bias against HHD.
Partially, it'll probably depend on what you're wanting to go in for and do. Anything health related, you probably want HHD. If you think about subjects that have skills that are useful in the 'real world', both HHD and Revs come up there. HHD because it's applicable with all sorts, such as even knowledge Medicare and the like are useful. If you plan to go into a health-related course, I definitely recommend it. Revs because it teaches you to think critically etc., and evaluate stuff.
If you don't like something don't do it, I recommend, unless you have a reason for doing it. Although, I still think do HHD because it is very real-life applicable and all.
Also, don't forget, Revs is something you can very easily pick up without units 1/2, so that shouldn't stop you if that's the only problem.

About Revs:
Workload: I'd say it's a pretty intense kind of subject. There's a LOT to learn, so if you're good at rote learning and connecting and making links, you'll probably be good at it (same with HHD though). The content is so large that you have to race through stuff (I don't know anything about China, but although Russia is the less complicated of the two I'm doing, it's still we have to move pretty fast) and so it helps if you can understand stuff on the first reading. So be prepared if you do it for quite a lot of content and fast pace.
Strengths that are useful: I think being able to absorb large amounts of content is useful. Also being able to make links easily - possibly having a skill at understanding/creating mind maps - is useful (one of my classmates does - would be so useful). Also being able to analyse and think quickly is useful. Also to be able to take effective notes. Also being able to write quickly and concisely. Succinctly. Very important.

As to enjoyment? I have no idea. I like Revs and as for HHD - I liked the content but I could never get myself to actually do stuff with it because the teacher bogged us down with homework I felt to be unnecessary (so I got behind, etc., etc., so I didn't enjoy it, so I got behind...)
And yes, for real-world application, I would advise HHD. Even though I didn't enjoy it so much.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.