Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:49 pm

Author Topic: Federal Election 2019  (Read 12715 times)  Share 

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
Re: Federal Election 2019
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 06:10:46 pm »
I'm not 18 yet so I can't vote, but if I could then it'd be Liberal - and this is coming from someone who had been a lefty his entire life. Political compass Vote compass placed me in between Labor and Liberal, closer to Labor, and also said that I agree with all four major parties by about only ~50% lol.

1. Who will you be voting for? Why?
I'm planning to vote Liberal. Don't hate me pleeeeaaase.
Just my opinion, but I do find it funny (and somewhat concerning) that especially among young people, it is now more socially acceptable to show support for a far-left party like Greens than a centre-right party like Liberal. The reaction people give to "I vote liberal" is usually the reaction I'd only reserve for a special species known as Bob Katter supporters.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 11:46:01 am »
lol

One Nation is dead

nice one Dickson 😂

R.I.P  Pauline haha
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 08:14:02 pm »
+4
lol

One Nation is dead

nice one Dickson 😂

R.I.P  Pauline haha

Quick explainer for those who aren't UTD: Steve Dickson is ON's number two candidate for the Queensland senate. He's also a prominent figure in the ON party. Footage of him in a strip club saying some pretty horrible things to women (e.g. Asian women don't know how to fuck) got released on A Current Affair last night. He's since resigned.

This is crazy stuff, because he's the same guy who, on behalf of ON, travelled to the US to broker a deal with the US gun lobby (basically: we'll try to get rid of gun laws if you give us ten million dollars). That he resigns after saying some weird shit about sex, but doesn't resign after he literally betrays his country and tries to have removed one of our most successful policies speaks to the moral vacuity that is One Nation.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 10:45:03 pm »
+6
Fantastic. Great move. Well done Angus.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 03:51:21 pm »
+4
Major story out of the election this week has been candidates dropping like flies. The Liberals have lost a couple in Victoria yesterday. One for anti-muslim comments, another for being hopelessly homophobic.
Labor hasn't fared well either. One of their NT candidates is accused of being an anti-semite, whilst their candidate for Melbourne (a Greens seat) has had to apologise for making rape jokes in the past. Of course the Greens have form here too (they refused to disendorse a candidate who rapped about raping and abusing women), but so far they've gone ok.
The Liberals also earlier dumper their candidate for Corio (based in Geelong) because he said he actually quite liked his Labor opponent and didn't think unions were all too bad.

A number of other candidates have caused a stir but haven't been dumped. Gladys Liu (Lib, Chisholm VIC) made homophobic and misleading comments about Safe Schools and also said that the work practices of other migrants are inferior to the Chinese. Kate Ashmor (Lib, Macnamara VIC) has had four major gaffes...she criticised her opponent for not being Jewish enough because he doesn't have a mezzuzah on his campaign office, insinuated that Chloe Shorten is a pig, said that public schools are inferior to private schools and encouraged defunding them and, finally, said that leaders without children invariably lack empathy.

The pièce de résistance has to be Jessica Whelan (Lib, Lyons TAS). Among her contributions to the public debate is a social media post in which she encouraged Donald Trump to cut off their clitorises of feminists and sell them to Muslims in Muslim countries. The liberals response to this is that she didn't make the posts, and they've referred them to the AFP because they believe they've been doctored. Watch this space. I suspect she'll be gone soon, but it'll be tricky because ScoMo campaigned with her today (which was breathtakingly stupid by his campaign team).

This issue of dodgy candidates has been a really prominent one around the western world. There's a suggestion that it might be such a prominent issue now because of social media providing an avenue to dredge up stupid shit people have said.

It's been a particular problem in the UK, with the Conservative party dumping candidates left and right. The Labour party there, which has been captured by the far-left under Jeremy Corbyn, has arguably been beset by the same problems but, tragically, has been less willing to do something about it. They've had a terrible rise of anti-semitism within the party and have thus far steadfastly refused to do much about it, leading several Jewish MPs to quit.
Also, I haven't talked about One Nation, Fraser Anning's merry band of Nazis or Palmer United because having fuck wit candidates in those parties is par for the course.

Fantastic. Great move. Well done Angus.

Another ringing endorsement of the Rhodes scholarship

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 04:39:47 pm »
It's funny how on many issues Greens and One Nation actually takes the same stance. Just my opinion, but after reading through both ON and Greens's statements - they DO actually share similar viewpoints, but just for vastly different reasons. For example regarding government subsidies to private health insurance: Greens disagree because the subsidies largely benefit those who are already financially better off; while ON disagrees because they just believes in less government intervention period.
Yeah that's basically what I meant. You can't really tell the reasons for their policies just from where they sit on the agree/disagree thing though.

Just my opinion, but I do find it funny (and somewhat concerning) that especially among young people, it is now more socially acceptable to show support for a far-left party like Greens than a centre-right party like Liberal. The reaction people give to "I vote liberal" is usually the reaction I'd only reserve for a special species known as Bob Katter supporters.
I guess young people just don't want to be discriminated against for being different ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You should start a news site vox.

Major story out of the election this week has been candidates dropping like flies. The Liberals have lost a couple in Victoria yesterday. One for anti-muslim comments, another for being hopelessly homophobic.
The homophobic guy was in my electorate - which is kinda funny given the greens candidate is a gay man. He's been making the most of the situation though
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 05:11:03 pm »
+1
The homophobic guy was in my electorate - which is kinda funny given the greens candidate is a gay man. He's been making the most of the situation though

Was definitely an interesting call having a crack at gays in one of the most left-wing seats in the country, but y'know, whatever you want to try I guess.

I sort of live in two places and in both of the seats I'm in we've had candidates cause trouble. Kate Ashmor (from above) should be my local candidate, but I'm down in Corio (where the candidate got the arse because he said he liked Richard Marles).

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 08:10:39 am »
Just me, or has Shorten's media performance gone to the next level over the last few weeks?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 11:49:33 am »
Just me, or has Shorten's media performance gone to the next level over the last few weeks?

I've been wondering this myself. Current theory is that there's been no change and that the media are reporting more positively because they're resigned to a Labor victory now.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 12:09:15 pm »
I've been wondering this myself. Current theory is that there's been no change and that the media are reporting more positively because they're resigned to a Labor victory now.

IMO he just seems a lot more polished and relaxed at the moment. Don't think it's a media perception thing, although that's probably also the case.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 11:51:21 pm »
Anyone else getting far too much mail?  Tonight I got 2 pro-Liberal-candidate, 1 anti-Liberal, 1 anti-Liberal (EDIT: anti-Labor - makes much more sense now, right?), and one nice yellow one from UAP.  Of course, a lot of it says exactly what I've heard in previous weeks (so, it's still misleading...). Am I the only one where it feels I'm less likely to accept a political message the more times I hear it repeated?

Also, anyone believe UAP can form government?  ;D  I've seen that claim from them too many times so far, and it seems particularly improbable - after all, it was based on their polling including 28% undecided, and an assumption that all of those undecided people would vote UAP...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 03:04:22 am by turinturambar »
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 01:26:15 pm »
There's also a site called SmartVote where you can see how you match up with candidates and parties but it hasn't really been updated with minor parties, and also major party candidates just follow the 'party' line and thus all have the same answer.

personal thoughts on the election
Tbh I feel bad cos I couldn't care less about the election this year :/ It's weird cos I study politics at uni but I've been so busy with uni that I don't have time to follow :/ (not a good excuse I know :P) I'm registered at my parents' home in Melbourne, the seat is kinda safe Labor and I doubt it will change. And because I'm not in Melbourne atm I haven't received any mail :P (also walking around Canberra and I don't notice any signs at all???)

I did Vote Compass (cbf pasting screenshots) and was placed close to the centre but slightly closer to Labor than Liberal, but I matched up 57% with Liberal, 53% with Labor, 52% with Greens and 43% One Nation. What a centrist lol (I voted Greens in 2016 but I've definitely changed - there are like some policies I strongly agree yet strongly disagree with on each party so idk). I was pretty certain I was gonna vote Labor like up until a month or 2 ago but now I'm reconsidering. Idek what happened - nothing that has happened has changed my mind but I just feel like I should be educating myself more rather than sticking with the same mindset lol. My parents are also voting differently.

I really feel like I'm being a bad citizen. I really want someone to help educate me on what to do this election haha.
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 09:35:57 pm »
+3
IMO he just seems a lot more polished and relaxed at the moment. Don't think it's a media perception thing, although that's probably also the case.

Have had a few people remark to me the last couple of days how impressive he's been. Unlikely people too. His stuff on his mum today was brilliant.

Anyone else getting far too much mail?  Tonight I got 2 pro-Liberal-candidate, 1 anti-Liberal, 1 anti-Liberal, and one nice yellow one from UAP.  Of course, a lot of it says exactly what I've heard in previous weeks (so, it's still misleading...). Am I the only one where it feels I'm less likely to accept a political message the more times I hear it repeated?

Also, anyone believe UAP can form government?  ;D  I've seen that claim from them too many times so far, and it seems particularly improbable - after all, it was based on their polling including 28% undecided, and an assumption that all of those undecided people would vote UAP...

UAP would be lucky to form a cogent thought let alone government.

There's also a site called SmartVote where you can see how you match up with candidates and parties but it hasn't really been updated with minor parties, and also major party candidates just follow the 'party' line and thus all have the same answer.

personal thoughts on the election
Tbh I feel bad cos I couldn't care less about the election this year :/ It's weird cos I study politics at uni but I've been so busy with uni that I don't have time to follow :/ (not a good excuse I know :P) I'm registered at my parents' home in Melbourne, the seat is kinda safe Labor and I doubt it will change. And because I'm not in Melbourne atm I haven't received any mail :P (also walking around Canberra and I don't notice any signs at all???)

I did Vote Compass (cbf pasting screenshots) and was placed close to the centre but slightly closer to Labor than Liberal, but I matched up 57% with Liberal, 53% with Labor, 52% with Greens and 43% One Nation. What a centrist lol (I voted Greens in 2016 but I've definitely changed - there are like some policies I strongly agree yet strongly disagree with on each party so idk). I was pretty certain I was gonna vote Labor like up until a month or 2 ago but now I'm reconsidering. Idek what happened - nothing that has happened has changed my mind but I just feel like I should be educating myself more rather than sticking with the same mindset lol. My parents are also voting differently.

I really feel like I'm being a bad citizen. I really want someone to help educate me on what to do this election haha.

Thanks for bringing up SmartVote! We haven't discussed it here yet. Similar idea to VoteCompass, but the advertising around it is a lot more direct (it suggests itself as a tool to help you vote). That concerns me, as my own results were a poor reflection of what I believe in at times. For example, the Health Australia party was suggested to me as a party I should preference highly, despite their platform of anti-vaccination, pro-naturopathy being the antithesis of what I believe in.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 10:22:11 pm »
+2
Anyone else getting far too much mail?  Tonight I got 2 pro-Liberal-candidate, 1 anti-Liberal, 1 anti-Liberal, and one nice yellow one from UAP.  Of course, a lot of it says exactly what I've heard in previous weeks (so, it's still misleading...). Am I the only one where it feels I'm less likely to accept a political message the more times I hear it repeated?

The inner teenager within me always makes me want to specifically not vote for anyone who sends me mail lol.

Overall I've heard news about Shorten and Morrison but I genuinely only know of one candidate in my seat (Isaacs) and that's the guy who already has it. The other one I knew about got dumped for a massive Islamophobic rant. Probably related to me being too busy with uni to take any notice or do extra reading but I feel like I was definitely more aware of things going on with the state election last year.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 03:17:14 pm »
+3
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-13/election-2019-vote-compass-left-right-polarisation/11095554?

Australia electorates from most left to most right according to vote compass data.

Interestingly both Batman Cooper and Wills (labor held) are more left than Melbourne (greens held).

Found this graphic interesting
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra