Uni Stuff > General University Discussion and Queries

how do people survive/cope with uni?

(1/1)

strawberries:
Hi guys,

I'm in my first year of uni atm and even though we just started I feel like I am struggling and already behind.
I don't know how people seem to manage their time, especially with extra-curricular commitments, volunteering, work, etc (I don't do any of those, but when I think about a career I guess it's good to get started...)

I like the content, but there's a lot of work to do, I'm too scared to ask questions
I am also doing a course which has a higher ATAR than what I got and I had to rely on bonus points to get in.

Not only that, but I also haven't seemed to have made any friends either...

so yeah, my general question is: how do people actually do it?

strawbs

spectroscopy:
Hello !
sucks to hear that you are having a difficult time in this initial easing in period, but most people do !! so its quite normal :)

ill try answer to ur issues individually:

--- Quote from: strawberries on March 07, 2017, 09:43:53 pm ---I don't know how people seem to manage their time, especially with extra-curricular commitments, volunteering, work, etc (I don't do any of those, but when I think about a career I guess it's good to get started...)

I like the content, but there's a lot of work to do, I'm too scared to ask questions
I am also doing a course which has a higher ATAR than what I got and I had to rely on bonus points to get in.

Not only that, but I also haven't seemed to have made any friends either...

so yeah, my general question is: how do people actually do it?

--- End quote ---

time management usually comes from a routine or finding a good source of motivation. in your first semester, a really simple way to split things up is to dedicate full days to certain things. eg: monday tuesday thursday are solely for studying and academics. wednesday is for extra curriculars and friday is for sport, 1 weekend day is for work and 1 is for rest. then once you can hypothecate your time in big blocks (days) to certain things you can start to switch up your regiment and create a more efficient timetable.

really though: i recommend to just throw yourself at absolutely everything you have any interest in and just do the work as required. you will be surprised how much work you can do in little time in university when you are pushed correctly. if you ever go to the australian university games you will see people go out drinking heavily until 4am then wake up at 7am and break national records for their sport then study all after noon and go out and party again. the human mind is very malleable and industriousness is quite easily sown from urgency. you will have more than 7 full days at the end of the semester to study for your exams and hopefully you arent THAT far behind. there are loads of people in uni who bomb their schedules with extra curriculars and spend 10 days in SWOTVAC watching 4x24 lectures for their subjects LOL.

dont be scared to ask questions - people will probably be grateful as they may have a similiar question but be too nervous to ask it. also tutors like interaction, so many tutes (at least in my course) go without anyone ever saying a word for 12 weeks. asking questions is 100% fine and probably comforting as a tutor cos it means people are listening. i wouldnt recommend asking questions in a lecture LOL ive never seen it happen and people usually go up to the lecturer after the class and talk to him about their problems

also having to rely on bonus points to get in is irrelevant - i know people in melbourne commerce who had 88.something atars and now have averages over 90 LOL

making friends can be difficult, i recommend you just throw yourself fully into a club or society or sports team at the uni and make friends that way. going to orientation camps is also a really good way to meet people but a bit late now

hope it goes well

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version