Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:11:11 pm

Author Topic: Melb uni v Monash uni v RMIT for Engineering  (Read 16203 times)  Share 

Umesh

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Melb uni v Monash uni v RMIT for Engineering
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:19:51 pm »
well me and a couple of mates are a bit confused which uni to chose for Civil Engieering or even Software,

Arguments are
RMIT offers practical experience with assured work experience and a generally balanced degree with the option of combing it with a double

wheras
Uni Melb offers a more theory based degree, but the shear reputation of Uni melb means that you will be recognised anywhere

Monash Uni
Well recognised for engineering, can do double

So confusing on what to select what do u guys think Zzz

costargh

Re: Melb uni v Monash uni v RMIT for Engineering
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:21:05 pm »
Monash!!!
(based on demand/supply where ENTER moved up to around 90 or something)

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:03:49 pm »
Monash or RMIT, depending on your scores.

RMIT is more application based, but that means they are not so much up to scratch with cutting edge (if you get what I mean).

Monash is renowned for engineering.

and UoM's engineering, well.. from a few people that I know: it is an absolute disaster :P
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:45:41 pm »
well me and a couple of mates are a bit confused which uni to chose for Civil Engieering or even Software,

Arguments are
RMIT offers practical experience with assured work experience and a generally balanced degree with the option of combing it with a double

wheras
Uni Melb offers a more theory based degree, but the shear reputation of Uni melb means that you will be recognised anywhere

Monash Uni
Well recognised for engineering, can do double

So confusing on what to select what do u guys think Zzz

Engineering at UoM sounds like IT there - a too much theory and a consequent disaster.

PROTIP: Do not choose an institution based on its reputation. Choose based on course quality. After all, you will be applying your brains on the job, not some badge on a transcript you're gonna forget about in a few years' time!
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:00:13 am »
I've heard Civil Engineering is shithouse at UoM.

Also, everyone in it seems demotivated, and on the Deans Honours List for Engineering, the fewest amount of recipients were from Civil (I think). A high number were from Mechanical, Electrical, and Chemical.

I would not take any IT degrees at UoM either - ask Excalibur for a better choice, but I believe Swinburne and Monash are better for that.

I do Chemical Engineering at UoM, and it seems to lay down a good foundation. Doing it in a double degree cuts out a lot of the crap, like "Introduction to Chemical Engineering" where I'd have to write an essay on visiting a chemical plant, but since the only choice is now single degrees, hm...

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:17:08 am »
\ Doing it in a double degree cuts out a lot of the crap, like "Introduction to Chemical Engineering" where I'd have to write an essay on visiting a chemical plant

Actually, there were two essays, which were 4000 words each. The essays were pointless, along with the subject as a whole.
Some snippets of what goes on in IRC:

<chath> ill say " i wont let you go until u kiss me bitch"

<@enwiabe> i have the BEST orgasms when i'm working through a math problem

<@mark_alec> my bikini line however, is most important

Are you scared yet?

brendan

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:48:37 am »
Actually, there were two essays, which were 4000 words each. The essays were pointless, along with the subject as a whole.

:O that's not Engineering that sounds like an Arts subject

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:37:09 am »
+1
Your objection towards Arts has been extensively noted, Brendan.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

squance

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:43:55 am »
Im doing Engineering at UoM.... :(

That means im doing a crappy course......  :(

*sigh*

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:44:50 pm »

A subject that has many essays sounds like an Arts subject to me too. It doesn't mean I have an objection towards Arts though - it just means that I may have picked Engineering but gotten something else instead.

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
I would suggest to go to the open days in August. There you can get a better understanding of the university itself and also speak to other people who are doing the course in which you want. I would suggest RMIT or Monash rather than UoM as people have already stated UoM is too theory based. Good luck

brendan

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:57 pm »

what you talking about? i meant the 4000 word essays. i just noted that it doesn't seem characteristic or typical of an engineering subject to have 4000 word essays.

Umesh

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 05:43:49 pm »
Holy crap! ok....  well one of the many reasons i picked engineerin and not arts or law is to avoid writin god dam essays, as for uni melb, chances are looking really grim for me to go there, my next preference would have been Monash, but i dont want to waste 4hrs of my life travelling there and back everyday, so i guess it's RMIT on Swanston.....hmmmm still indecisive, but UoM looks grim, I always hear good things about RMIT.....

RMIT is more application based, but that means they are not so much up to scratch with cutting edge (if you get what I mean).

Do you think it would be worth it to chose Monash over RMIT even with the travel constraints?

Neobeo

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 反逆 の Neobeo
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 06:32:11 pm »
Holy crap! ok....  well one of the many reasons i picked engineerin and not arts or law is to avoid writin god dam essays, as for uni melb, chances are looking really grim for me to go there, my next preference would have been Monash, but i dont want to waste 4hrs of my life travelling there and back everyday, so i guess it's RMIT on Swanston.....hmmmm still indecisive, but UoM looks grim, I always hear good things about RMIT.....

Do you think it would be worth it to chose Monash over RMIT even with the travel constraints?

if you don't like writing essays then science would be a good bet. science subjects probably have the less writing than most other subjects. that said, if you want to do engineering, it probably depends on what type of engineering. there are probably some where monash is better than RMIT and vice-versa. personally, for me travel time is an important factor and I would definitely choose RMIT just because it is significantly closer. probably different for different people though. and yeah I've also heard UoM engineering isn't all that good.
Mathematics Coach: Tuition and Enrichment // Email/MSN:

If you remember the flying birds, they died D=

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 07:58:30 pm »

what you talking about? i meant the 4000 word essays. i just noted that it doesn't seem characteristic or typical of an engineering subject to have 4000 word essays.

heh, *you* can't pretend you weren't being facetious this time, Brendan :)